• 8 out of 10

1 5.26%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

4 21.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 117: 29.10.2013: Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

I'm Paul.

The Genesis comparisons are inevitable more so even than Misplaced Childhood. It's well played and arranged neo prog - but arguably lacking originality. Frankly I rather ignored them at the time but this would have stood out in 1983. Worth 7/10.

synsei Guest

It was because their material was so similar to early Genisis which drew me to the band. Fond memories of this album and I still enjoy playing the album bought on the day of its release. 7/10 for me

I'm ChrisB.

Fish went to the same college as I did to study forestry and I think that's where he got the name. I always thought he sounded more like Peter Hamill that Peter Gabriel.
    I never really got into Marillion and I saw them early on too, in a pub somewhere or other.

Listening to this again, I'd give it a 6, I should think, not bad, but not really very remarkable either.

I'm Dave.

I remember being in my local record shop when this came out. I liked the look of the cover, promo cut outs and posters they had on the wall, but i didnt buy it. When home ,i went straight round to my mates brothers place. He was the guy in the village who had the biggest record collection, he would have all the new stuff etc. Oddly he was one of those guys, huge record collection, but could not care less about what he played his records on.
    He duly dug out 'script....', my first thoughts were of disappointment, i was expecting more, to similar to Genesis ( genesis a band i have never got on with, there are a few tracks i like and i even own a couple of their early LPs). I ended up skipping through side two of 'Script..', just playing a snippet of each track, not for me.
    Coming back to this album all these years later, with open mind, my feelings have not changed, and i played it all this time. I can appreciate the musicianship, but it does nothing for me i'm afraid.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

If you look at my Marillion FLAC album folder there are 42 albums in there, so I guess you could say I'm a fan , but my love starts in 89 with Seasons End and the arrival of 'h', one of the best front-men in modern music (IMHO). I have seen what I call 'Marillion' more times than I can remember and have been to the weekends in Port Zelande too, outstanding affairs. However, I don't care for Derrek Dick that much and never have and rarely play this era, but I do like Clutching at Straws.

I'll give it 6/10 though, based solely on Steve R's excellent guitar work, but this is my least liked Marillion album.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Barry.

I've never heard a Fishless Marillion album, which is best.

I'm Dave.

My friend Alan like Tim is a big Marillion fan, but he also not a fan of the fish era.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    I've never heard a Fishless Marillion album, which is best.
    Thats a tough one Baz, not knowing what music you favour? There are 13 post Fish era studio albums alone, their live recordings are in the hundreds now, they are a band who have really embraced the social media age and I believe were the first UK band to dump a major record label (EMI) and get fans to pledge money up front to fund future albums. They still do this and you get your name in the cover of Special Editions if you pledge, which is a nice touch

You could try their latest album Sounds that Can't Be Made (2012) go back to Marbles (2004) and maybe try Seasons End (1989) which laid the marker for the new era?

I think their entire catalogue is good, but those are popular choices. Steve Hogarth writes some very emotive lyrics, Out of This World about Donald Campbell is particularly moving. The family invited Steve Hogarth and Steve Rothery when the Bluebird was finally raised in 2001. Out of This World is on Afraid of Sunlight (1995), another fine album.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Fish went to the same college as I did to study forestry and I think that's where he got the name.
    Steve Rothray dad tought me on an Electronics course i was on He was from Brampton which is about 5 mins from where we lived at the time.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Nice story André, I'm a big fan of Steve Rothery and really love both his sound and style, I think he's an exceptional guitarist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast