+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay

I'm Rob.

Default Ebay

I rarely buy anything from ebay, but thought I would take a punt on an amp. There was one bid and the price was £0.99. I made a bid of £10 which was immediately rejected and it then showed a bid of £10.50. This is now showing as the current bid (£10.50) and not £0.99. How does this work? My thinking is that if I make a higher bid, that it will just keep pushing me higher?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Rob.

I have just bid £11.00 and it now shows 3 bids the latest £11.50. Has someone stuck on £50 or something?

I'm James.

Yes, it sounds like someone has already put in a higher bid & eBay is doing its auto bid thing.

I'm Rob.

So does this autobid thing have a mind of it's own or is it telling you that someone else has made a higher bid? If someone else has put a bid say of £30, why does it not say current bid £30?

I'm Dave.

As with real auctions you only bid if you need to. For example if say your limit was £50 you wouldn't bid £50 straight away. You would bid in small increments as you might win the item for £20.

With fleabay if you put your highest bid on it will only go as high as it needs to win the auction. Or not. Unfortunatly as a buyer you are not privvy to what the other persons highest bid might be (as it would be in real life).

That's why many people (myself included) use an auto bidding systems that will only kick in with <5 seconds to go.

I hope that helps Rob...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Rob.

Yes Dave, it goes some way to explaining how it works. How do I get an "auto bidding system"? Is this what is called a "sniping" tool?

I'm Clive.

If you had put a bid of £100 in, it would automatically just beat the current highest bid by the next biddable amount. E-bay does not do anything on its own. Example: 1st bid £20 but will only show £0.99 until you bid £10, e-bay will outbid you simply because it had the 1st bid of £20. Then you put the £100 bid in. The £20 bid is now beaten and goes to £21 and then every subsequent bid up to your £100 after that you have been out bid until you put in a higher maximum bid. Savey?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Yes Dave, it goes some way to explaining how it works. How do I get an "auto bidding system"? Is this what is called a "sniping" tool?
    Sniping is something else. A tool is used to put in a bid in the last few seconds of the auction. It's pretty effective so long as your sniped bid is high enough.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Nobody.

Expecting summert cheap on the Bay think again..

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Yes Rob they are all called sniping tools. I use 'BidMate' but they are many around. They are free unless you want ultra late bidding.

They are useful on 2 counts - 1. You don't show your hand too early thus possibly pushing up the price. 2. If you aren't around or are unable to bid as the auction ends.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast