+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: IF cost was no objective what phonostage would you own?

I'm Shane.

£10,000? WD pre3/phono3 and a Lotus Elise!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Neil.

Not sure if this LFD Battery Disc is still available: http://unique-audio.co.uk/used/phono-stages/

It was built for SME's R&D / testing department & think it's still used...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I had a WD Phono3/PSU prior to my TRON Seven Reference. The TRON is a massive upgrade over the WD, which is itself a very good phono stage. There are very few further stages costing less than £2000, which are better than the WD.

I'm Mike.

Oh yes. As Marco says you need a SUT too
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I tried the whest 3.0rdtse with a the 80se and they simply didn't get on, I ended up sending the whest back for repair twice and eventually lost patience with it. The small amount of time that it did work I noticed I didn't get that much of an increase in performance over what I already had. I would have had to pay an extra grand for a very small Increase in performance. Finally, I may decide to upgrade the 80se with a choir sut.
    Regarding the bit in bold, that's interesting... I think that every SUT which has been tried with Martin T's Whest, in conjunction with the MM input, has sounded WAY better than when the MC stage was used directly. Therefore, I suspect that the above mismatch is more to do with whatever cartridge you've been using, than with the combination of the ST80SE/Whest.

This also demonstrates just how important it is to find an SUT which, first and foremost, performs synergistically with the cartridge that is going to be used. Once done, one can then consider the (final) choice of phono stage. In that respect, you'll need to ensure that 'upgrading' to a Choir SUT is the reality, rather than it simply being a side-grade.

I'd be tempted to retain the ST-80SE (since your primary cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Black), whilst you're auditioning alterative phono stages, and only change the SUT if after obtaining your new phono stage it becomes obvious that the ST-80SE is the weak link.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Keith.

Default Trinity Audio

The quietest phono stage currently available, it also has the most accurate RIAA curve is the balanced design by Dietmar Brauaer of Trintiy Audio.
    http://www.trinity-ed.de/typo/index.php?id=17&L=1

Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I tried the whest 3.0rdtse with a the 80se and they simply didn't get on, I ended up sending the whest back for repair twice and eventually lost patience with it. The small amount of time that it did work I noticed I didn't get that much of an increase in performance over what I already had. I would have had to pay an extra grand for a very small Increase in performance. Finally, I may decide to upgrade the 80se with a choir sut.
    Fairly close to that I have a ST80SE going into a Whest .30r and it works very well
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post

Funnily enough, my first thought was an Anatek MCR and a TVR Griffith to carry it home in!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    The quietest phono stage currently available, it also has the most accurate RIAA curve is the balanced design by Dietmar Brauaer of Trintiy Audio.
    http://www.trinity-ed.de/typo/index.php?id=17&L=1

Keith.
    Yes, but what kind of daftee would buy a £10k+ phono stage on specs alone? Anyone who did that would need their head examined...!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post

Funnily enough, my first thought was an Anatek MCR and a TVR Griffith to carry it home in!

you'd need to factor in a good percentage then Adam for petrol and servicing just to get you home not to mention a neck brace to cover the whip-lash from the back end breaking away most of the trip probably worth it for the grin factor alone though, so I'm with you on that one.

Yes, but what kind of daftee would by a £10k phono stage on specs alone? Anyone who did that would need their head examined...!

Marco.
    +1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast