+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The Alchemist' APD27A power amp - Tim de Paravicini design - any info?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Jez , wasn't there a range topping monoblock , and single ended ?

I remember listening to a pair at a show once .
    Correct! It was a transformer coupled single ended mosfet amp and couldn't be more different from the the stereo "The Alchemist". Very steam punk styling as well.... I never got to hear it as Id left by then but I did go along to various meetings about it with TdP when it was in the design stage. The matching "The Alchemist pre" was a collaboration between myself and Tim and again I'd left before it went into production. If anyone has one then please take it elsewhere for servicing (VERY rare anyway!) as it is the stuff nightmares are made off to work on (I have serviced one since) and took about 3 hours just to get to the bits that needed servicing. Another issue was the volume knob they put on it which was about a KG of metal and breaks the Alps blue velvet pot due to the weight on the shaft....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Tom.

I had the APD 20 power amp a few years back and it was certainly a stunning looker

I remember having to dismantle the Sound Organisation rack to get it in and then rebuild it with the amp supported in mid air on wooden blocks while I put the rack back together again around it I don't recall it having any 'distinctive' sound at all, it just played music well. Didn't sniff when I put a pair of Maggies on it and certainly kept a good grip on them.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Always loved the look of the Alchemist stuff.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Always loved the look of the Alchemist stuff.
    The Kraken monos & matching pre are my favourite lookers:

Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Jez.

I preferred the later shiny version myself

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dave.

I like the hammertone green too , the same colour as my amp.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, casework must have cost a fortune!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye, casework must have cost a fortune!
    It was all designed by one of the companies founders, Andy Light, and made by the company underneath us at the time (in Muswell Hill) who also made casework for Shearne Audio and Trilogy amongst others...

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The Kraken monos & matching pre are my favourite lookers:

Think they look rather hideous - with a capital Hid.

Like Jez, I prefer the ones that glitter and shine, even if a tad blingy.

I'm Neil.

See, I think they look like the kind of amp an alchemist would own.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast