Hi all,
Well, the Troika has finally arrived and after about 30 seconds it was obvious that here was a much better match for my Ittok LViii than my previous 103Pro with its extra weight. It sounds much more refined with loads of texture and detail in the bass and also higher bass volume in the mix. Funnily enough, treble detail is also much improved and piano sounds so much more authoritative so I guess the Esco fineline tip is also doing its bit in comparison with a stock Troika.
Anyway, not here to extoll the virtues but rather to ask for advice regarding SUTs. I already had my Audio-Technica AT-650 adjustable, always using the 40 ohm setting with the 103. Then I got hold of the Haufe transformers (also 40 ohms) and made my own little box of tricks up and I found it an improvement on the AT. Now with the Troika I have just tried my AT again and my first impression is that it sounds better than the Haufe job, especially on the 3 and/or 20 ohm ohms setting although that could be down to the fact that I seem to get greater gain on the 3 ohm setting, although perhaps a bit too bright. I believe these ohms settings on the AT are really meant to represent 10x their value as far as load impedance is concerned. Anyway, can anyone confirm what should be the correct setting for the Troika and I´ll take it from there.
Chris