• 8 out of 10

1 8.33%
  • 9 out of 10

1 8.33%
  • 10 out of 10

1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 114: 08.10.2013: Tommy Chase - Groove Merchant (1987)

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club - Week 114: 08.10.2013: Tommy Chase - Groove Merchant (1987)

This one's from Chris (Wazoo) - an English hard-bop album? From the 1980s? And on Stiff Records?? Who'd have thunk it?

Tommy Chase - 'Groove Merchant' (1987)

I wasn't sure whether to have this album as I don't expect any or many AoS members will own it and it's a little tricky to get hold of. However, it is on Spotify, so we'll go with it shall we?

My exposure to jazz in childhood was limited to three albums from my parents' collection of mostly classical records: Brubeck, The Modern Jazz Quartet and Errol Garner. Then, in my teens when I was immersing myself in rock & blues, I discovered Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley and Art Blakey.

I went to a few gigs, but was always disappointed because I was never able to find this particular type of jazz. Jazz encompasses a huge spectrum of musical styles – bowler hated clarinettists were just not my thing, and I never have been able to stomach ladies in evening gowns warbling about something called a ‘shooby-de-da-scooba-dooby-shooby-doo’....whatever one of those is.

I was beginning to think that I was wasting my time....until I went to a gig by The Tommy Chase Quartet. Now this was more like it!

They seemed to have the attitude of a great rock band – the drummer, Thomas the Chase himself, dominated the stage with a sustained attack on his kit that might have been more at home with Led Zeppelin or The Who. The pianist seemed to be defending himself from a plague of spiders with his feet, stamping manically in front of, behind and to the sides of his stool, in time to the groove that Mr Chase and the bassist were thwacking out. Over all of this, there was a sax player blurting, parping and honking out some of the best sax riffs in a way that I’d never heard live. And LOUD!

I had to have more of this!

‘Groove Merchant’ is one of those rare studio albums that really capture a large amount of the essence of the live event and the title is one of the most apt ever because the groove is perhaps one of the most infectious I have ever heard. I never, ever dance, but this album always gets me very, very close to getting up and boogying with the best of them – and I promise you, that is quite some statement! I defy you to keep your feet still while it’s playing. I swear I can even see Merlot, the family mutt tapping his feet to this one when I play it!

The title track is an old big band number, written by Jerome Richardson and often played by Thad Jones and Mel Lewis. It swings like hell but this is not a big band record. The track is a close relative of the theme music from the BBC Film programme – Billy Taylor’s ‘I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free’. Another highlight is a cover of Sonny Rollins’ ‘Alfie’s Theme’, though played with such urgency and feel for rhythm that it makes the original seem a bit staid and pedestrian. Even a faithful cover of Art Blakey with ‘So Tired’ is somehow much more propulsive than the version by the drumming legend who Chase is often compared to.

This album really is special and I actually prefer it to many of my treasured Blue Notes. Sadly, it's been only sporadically available, but if you ever see a copy, you should snap it up and defend it with your life. If you can cope with mp3’s, I believe it’s available as a download, Amazon Marketplace usually has a few copies of the CD, but it's pricey - often up to £50. A good used vinyl copy can usually be found on Ebay or Discogs for under a tenner, though. And of course, it's also available on Spotify.

A few tracks are to be found on YouTube:

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well - never heard of it! But if it is a TGW selection it is bound to be interesting! Just waiting for Mrs Alex to go to bed so I can give this a Spotispin.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

You're in for a treat Alex!

I'm ILOB.

I like this
    I give it a few more plays has a real sense of swing often lacking in hard bop
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

I've never heard of them, Chris. I'm listening now and it does have a hell of a groove. Takes me back to going to the Bass Clef jazz club in The Angel, London, where a lot of the live sounds were very hard to buy in recorded form.

I'm ChrisB.

Of course, I've given it a 10/10 - there could be no other score possible from me.

I saw the band play in London once, though I really can't remember where, but also a few times in Brighton at the Concorde Club on the seafront. The record must have been bought in the Virgin Megastore in Brighton and it must have been around the time it was released. Stiff records were struggling a bit at the time, so distribution may have been patchy.

The last time I saw him, we noticed that the gig was being recorded & my girlfriend of the time managed to persuade the guy on the sound board to make a copy of the tape and post it out. God knows what she promised him in return! That tape was fantastic but has long since been lost.

I'm Barry.

Not a Jazz lover but fair dues there are moments of this I like, particularly the piano. 7/10

MartinT Guest

7/10 from me too.

I'm Dave.

It's a bit disconcerting to learn that if I wanted to buy the vinyl the chances are I couldn't.

Liked it though 7/10
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm ChrisB.

There are three vinyl copies on Discogs just now - one in the UK & it's only £5.49. There's one CD & it's a mere £200!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast