+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Better' Figure of Eight Mains Cable for Amp - Recommendations.

I'm tony.

Cant help but think RFI shielding is a good thing....I run balanced mains and shielded MG cable on everything else-the only cable that's unshielded is a extension cord plumbed through the floor to my RHS amp/speaker combo ( statics and various amps ,t and valve mono blocks) during a recent thunder storm the RHS channel was crackling with the lightning LHS was unaffected.......big 5m Ariel?
    Sonically I don't hear them.....my goal with all equipment.
    Just enjoy you're music .......

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman;

Which is why I now express the view that mains cables make a significant and important differences to the sound enjoyed from a HiFi, but not as significant and important as that made by the colour of the living room curtains.
    Sorry Marco, I can't resist.

Richard, the colour of the curtains are essential to the sound you hear. Let me explain. She Who Must Be Obeyed goes to the shops and buys a pair of curtains for your living room. They are bright orange and you hate them. Being the clever soul that you are, you hang them up. She is overjoyed and gives you a big hug and the goes off to the kitchen to prepare you a meal fit for a king. (Stay with me ). In the meantime you decide that while she is busy you are going to listen to some music, having connected your DIY mains cable. You sit back and enjoy the calm, peace and quite and bask in the glory of a very happy wife and the sound of your favourite music.
    See I told you the colour of the curtains can make a huge difference to the sound of your HiFi.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm tony.

Clive,
    I have experienced the same effect with carpets/couches and believe it or not shoes, hand bags and dresses.......after said changes the sonic upgrades can be quite noticeable-now whether you could measure that?

I'm Stephen.

I've found listening on an empty stomach causes the sound to take-on a hollow cavernous type quality. Don't do it! That's my advice.

Decades ago being a fan of solid core construction I made a mains lead for my Technics cassette with some silver-plated single strand I had. I always used it in place of the standard item.

I'm Richard.

It pushes up the price of this hobby. The last minor equipment upgrade cost me a hall and stairs carpet AND main bedroom decorate and carpet.

I'm Stephen.

Found it less stressful on the wallet if you close your eyes. Was going to mention this on the burn-in thread but some do prefer to listen in the dark, while others prefer the lights on. Myself, I do have the lights on. Everything seems. . . How can I say this? . . . Err. . . Well. . . Clearer. . .

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post

Which is why I now express the view that mains cables make a significant and important differences to the sound enjoyed from a HiFi, but not as significant and important as that made by the colour of the living room curtains.
    Hmmm... my living room curtains are dark blue. To date I've been happy with them but now you've got me thinking about upgrading.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

HO-HUM. A bit of a thread drift there again started by Richard aided and abetted by me. To get back a bit, Richard and I had a bit of a set-to a few months ago about designer kettle leads and designer kettles. I would like to thank Richard because of his input and the success I had with the kettle I decided to have a go at my designer coffee maker, so with a new designer mains cable looking very pretty connected to the coffee machine, it sounds startling. The burbling noise to say nothing of the aroma has made me a very happy bunny.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12