+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Better' Figure of Eight Mains Cable for Amp - Recommendations.

I'm Robert.

Default 'Better' Figure of Eight Mains Cable for Amp - Recommendations.

Is there such a thing ? My amp has the bog standard issue figure of eight mains cable which as you know are fairly thin and basic. Does anyone have recommendation for a good quality figure of eight. How would a 'better' one improve things ? Thanks.

I'm Richard.

i daren't

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Robert.

Nice one Ali

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    i daren't
    Eh !! Say what you gotta say - I for one like to hear views so I can discern and learn

I'm tony.

I second that.....my system is wired with MG mains wires...fit and forget IMHO.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Nice one Ali
    No worries, I use one on my Sky box. Can't go wrong with Mark's cables.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Richard.

Eh !! Say what you gotta say - I for one like to hear views so I can discern and learn
    My understanding from a discussion with a mate, was that a mains cable should make no difference to the sound of hifi equipment, due to how electricity works. Following a holiday thread where I had nothing else to talk about, I ended up starting a very long thread about mains cables which got too long and was closed. As part of that I bought some inexpensive diy cables to try - which were not easy to make properly (but I am not the best it has to be said).

They look very pretty. They look like anything less would be a travesty on serious hifi. They sound identical to any other lead I can find and try to me. I have reasonably good equipment to listen on, and a fine pair of working ears. And a fair bit of experience auditioning equipment at PT long ago.

So - I view mains cables more like other hifi furniture - aesthetics are the primary benefit. Lots of people disagree with me. I am due to have tea with Marco sometime in the not too distant future, where he is going to demonstrate to me what I have been missing.

I have to say, my understanding is they should make no difference at all - and that is what I heard with the cables I bought. They were inexpensive entry level cables, but they were also described as "true audiophile quality" and recommended on this site. Where I think some sort of consensus was reached was that those claiming the benefits of the cables tended towards hyperbole - "huge" "fundamental" etc differences, but that probably any differences were subtle and small.

Which is why I now express the view that mains cables make a significant and important differences to the sound enjoyed from a HiFi, but not as significant and important as that made by the colour of the living room curtains.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    My understanding from a discussion with a mate, was that a mains cable should make no difference to the sound of hifi equipment, due to how electricity works. Following a holiday thread where I had nothing else to talk about, I ended up starting a very long thread about mains cables which got too long and was closed. As part of that I bought some inexpensive diy cables to try - which were not easy to make properly (but I am not the best it has to be said).

They look very pretty. They look like anything less would be a travesty on serious hifi. They sound identical to any other lead I can find and try to me. I have reasonably good equipment to listen on, and a fine pair of working ears. And a fair bit of experience auditioning equipment at PT long ago.

So - I view mains cables more like other hifi furniture - aesthetics are the primary benefit. Lots of people disagree with me. I am due to have tea with Marco sometime in the not too distant future, where he is going to demonstrate to me what I have been missing.

I have to say, my understanding is they should make no difference at all - and that is what I heard with the cables I bought. They were inexpensive entry level cables, but they were also described as "true audiophile quality" and recommended on this site. Where I think some sort of consensus was reached was that those claiming the benefits of the cables tended towards hyperbole - "huge" "fundamental" etc differences, but that probably any differences were subtle and small.

Which is why I now express the view that mains cables make a significant and important differences to the sound enjoyed from a HiFi, but not as significant and important as that made by the colour of the living room curtains.
    I hear ya Richard and respect your views / experience - no worries at all. Whether I agree or not is whole different matter but I do respect your expressing of your experience as shared - Thanks

I'm John.

Is there such a thing ? My amp has the bog standard issue figure of eight mains cable which as you know are fairly thin and basic. Does anyone have recommendation for a good quality figure of eight. How would a 'better' one improve things ? Thanks.

Hi Rob. I have a Furutech figure of eight plug that is used on a Pioneer DVD 565A. The Furutech is obviously well made but no difference in sound than a standard figure of eight plug IME.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast