+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery powered t amps

I'm tony.

The bike battery I use is a ytz14s yuasa which is virtually brand new. The old batteries I tried were over volting and not holding a charge, since putting the new battery in no problems with powering BM MK2/TEMPLE MONOS/Bantum/mini t -so far the mono blocks have been by far and away the clear leaders sonically a palpable 3d sound stage and a silence to the system I have never achieved before.

With another lead I will hard wire the DAC/ mono blocks to a new car battery installed in the cellar bellow my listening room.......occasional trickle charge should see it good for a few years.

Croft 7 power amp going up for sale any interested parties PM me please, prior to me placing it in private exhibitions those with post history get first crack.

That's a major and brave decision to sell the Croft. Your new system configuration must be on a completely different level now.

I have used my T-amp with batteries, but I packed the lot away to make space for my test equipment. I have an interesting battery pack however. Shall try to dig it up from the shed.

I'm tony.

I have four temple mono blocks/bantum and 2 DIY valve mono blocks......My son sat and had a good listen to the battery power set up in comparison with the mini ts he bi-amps with his 19 year old years gave it an emphatic thumbs up and asked If i could help him set one up.

The temptation to go off the grid and reap the rewards sonically is overwhelming. I have a balanced mains transformer and good quality shielded cable throughout but the battery has made the Temples monos sing.

The Croft is a lovely amp and only wants for a good home......plus I have my eye on another pair of Spendors that need a good home my son and me can demo both in my room and i can choose the pair i prefer.

Method in my madness!!!!

I'm tony.

Received the third DC power from Stan (many thanks again)......
    I wired two DC leads into a bit of connector block, one feeding the BM MK2 the other The Temple audio mono block, plumbed through the floor with some esoteric 2 core cable (black and decker power cord) .

The RHS temple mono is wired the same way-battery lead with 3 amp inline car fuse on positive/power rocker switch on negative.......not too wise to try and put power plugs in with the monos running wide open.

All connected up-switch power on battery-lovely!! All three running off a bike battery driving spendors hard as you like......magic.

I'm Nigel.

I see you are using a fuse with the battery as a safety precaution. Is this necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I see you are using a fuse with the battery as a safety precaution. Is this necessary?
    Do you know how much current a battery can spit out if short circuited?

I'm ILOB.

How often is the recharge with the motorcycle batteries
    So best to use 3amp fuses or 5?
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm tony.

A blade auto fuse costs next to nothing a....... DAC or AMP!!!!, just isn't worth risking for a couple of quid, rocker switch ( no led) on the other side lets you swap out t amps without resorting to battery connector bolts.

I initially tried a couple of old batteries I had lying around, they were dodgy voltage wise not worth cooking something.

As Stan says get it wrong with a battery with any kind of cold cranking current range to boast about and you can easily weld a screw driver with one slip......no to good for delicate circuits methinks....

Most auto stores have a revolving rack with electrical bits and bobs for pennies.

I'm Nigel.

Cheers Stan / Tony,

Never thought. Fuse is essential then.

I got a couple of old skool rocker switches if anyone is thinking of trying out what Tony has done.

Tony, I think you should take some pics and put them here for interested parties to get an idea of how the wiring could be arranged.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast