+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Battery powered t amps

I'm Geoff.

I was an early adopter of Tripath amps, but by accident rather than design. I was working in Bangladesh and on leave on a West Coast driving holiday. On a trip to the Virgin Mega store in L.A. I came across this item on sale.

https://www.parts-express.com/sonic-...ystem--300-954

I had not heard of T-class amplification at the time but wanted something I could play music on whilst travelling. This was so cheap it was worth taking a risk on. It comprised an amplifier that could be powered by battery or by mains (walwart) and a pair of folding speakers using NXT technology (audio exciters in fact, similar to the type used on several larger panel speakers).

It was no risk at all as it sounded fantastic. The amplifier turned out to be the famous Sonic Impact Tripath which those in the know will tell you kick started the vogue for low power digital amplification. Although the speakers had very little bass they were incredibly revealing with enough volume to fill a decent sized hotel room.

I still have the amp and recently fitted 8 AA nicads into the battery compartment and used it to play back music from my Sony HD walkman. I was not disappointed. Excellent sound from a tiny device.

Geoff

I'm Paul.

I switch between my quad 306 and Mini-1 on an almost daily basis.

The mini-1 is running off a 12v SLA motorbike battery and to my ears creates a depth of soundstage and seperation of instruments the 306 just can't match. My 306 isn't factory standard either, it's had a full reworking inside but even like this, I prefer the mini-1.

Granted the 306 has more slam and and can be listened to for hours on end with no fatigue whatsoever. I love both to be fair but the bulk of my listening gets done on the mini-1.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Laurence.

Default Opinions

I saw these on EBay, seem to use the same chipset as others and would be easy to set up powered by an SLA but thought I would seek opinions before I purchased. They seem very cheap, is that because technology has moved on or are they just poor quality?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA2024-TE....c100505.m3226

I'm Geoff.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I recently bought one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-2...53.m1438.l2649 With a cheap, suitable SMPS it sounds amazingly good and will no doubt operate just fine on suitable battery power.

Interesting bench test here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WkVSr_Hn8

This little amp has no bother driving my big Tannoys to decent levels and sounds every bit as good as my big amps. It's way better than my SMSL Mini T Amp.

I'm Paul.

How do they make them so cheaply! VFM off the scale

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Thread resuscitation for anyone looking to go off grid with 12v stuff.

I just took my Innous zen mk2 off grid encouraged by Stan....noticeable improvement over the supplied switching supply.

Stans new Dorado will be taking up duties shortly...its not designed for this application but im keen to give it a go.

missed the postie today so will hopefully get it plumbed in tomorrow....fingers crossed it works and works well!!
    How did you get on with the Dorado powering your Innous?

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819