+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starry Night

I'm Andrei.

Default Starry Night

Music is music and poetry is poetry and 'ever the twain shall meet'. It's great when the the lyrics jell with the music. I have put in a few of my favourite fragments.

1. Heroes often fail
    Gordon Lightfoot in 'If you could Read my Mind'
    Profound. Well yes they do, now that you mention it. Who would think it let alone say it.

2. Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease
    The Beatles in 'Come Together'
    Pure genius. This sleaze just jells with me.

3. Weathered faces lined in pain
    Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand

Don McLean in 'Vincent'
    A poetic, if uneven ballad. This line reminds me of an interview I saw of Bernard Haitink where the effect of what he was saying was that to understand Brahms you needed to understand Brahms' love of humanity.

4. And don't try to enchant me with your manner of dress
    'Cos a monkey in silk is a monkey no less

Sixto Rogriguez in 'Like Janis'
    This comes from the Album 'Cold Fact'. The whole album is filled with meaningful social commentary. As you read this Rodgriguez is probably in his Detroit apartment keeping warm. This is a man who's story needs to be told, and a good effort was made in the movie 'Searching for Sugarman'. Quite apart from the lyrics his voice really should be heard.

But what harasses Larry the most
    And makes his soul poor melancholy
    Is he thinks of the time when his ghost
    It will come in a sheet to Sweet Molly

Elvis Costello in 'The Night before Larry was Streched'
    The whole ballad is great and Costello has just the right voice.

Who can add to this list?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Bob.

Did you ever see a woman coming out of New York City with a frog in her hand. T Rex

There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis. Kirsty MacColl

Pure poetry

I'm Marc.

For them there's nothing much better to see than a northern bound train with the serial B3, a fifty year old Brighton 22 ton, listen thanks Mr Stephenson thanks Mr Stephenson..

The Frank and Walters 'Trainspotters' but the first 3 albums at least are packed with gems.

I'm joe.

Dragging my guitar round maternity ward
    I was in search of the umbilical chord

HMHB 'Albert Hammond Bootleg'

+ Reply to Thread