+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just a little help please...

I'm george.

Default just a little help please...

No sound from tweeter....took the cover off and found this wire had come off probably moving them around....
    Its TINY!! how can I fix it?....doesent look like solder[IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks Guys in advance as I don't want to mess it up

I'm James.

I hate it when that happens. The wire need stripping back a couple of mm & resoldering to that terminal... But you have to be very quick with the soldering iron as the heat will kill the voice coil unless you use croc clips as heatsinks.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    I hate it when that happens. The wire need stripping back a couple of mm & resoldering to that terminal.
    Very, very carefully does it I might add...

I'm James.

Indeed ! I've dawdled soldering them in the past without issue but you do hear some horror stories, better safe than sorry etc etc.

I'm george.

Thanks guys,that's what I thought....it doesent look like solder on the terminal...could it be some kind of glue?

I'm James.

Its definitely solder... The colour will be due to the flux I suspect.

synsei Guest

Do you have a low wattage soldering iron George, because you will need one?

I'm Gone.

Technically, I'm a complete "know nothing", but I wondered about an electrically conductive adhesive. Would it work?

This is the sort of thing I mean

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conduc...sives/1863616/
    I have left AOS.

I'm Paul.

It's solder. Use a low melting point solder like an ordinary lead/tin solder, tin the iron, ensure you have a croc clip on the wire. Bring the tinned tip into contact with the wire at the same time touching the wire with a little solder...a fraction of a second is all that is needed and the solder should flow onto the wire. Do the same with the solder blob on the case as you need fresh flux (in the solder core) to clean off the area to be jointed. Bring the two together...a spare pair of hands and some tweezers would be handly! Clean and re-tin the iron tip, bring it up to the joint and touch the joint with solder. As soon as it flows, remove the iron but hold the joint steady for a few seconds before releasing tweezers. That should be job done.

I'm george.

OOPS....trying to strip a little bit of the wire back and the wire covering just slipped off!!! now Im left with bare wire, very very thin I touched it to the terminal but no sound...do I need to scrape the solder to get a better connection? If that little wire breaks Im in big trouble

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast