+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ClarityCaps MR 3.3

I'm Andy.

Default ClarityCaps MR 3.3

Has anyone used these Caps? l had them installed in my Virtue Audio Sensation Tripath amplifier ( this is a highly recommended upgrade from the manufacturers) themselves) they are very BIG, how long do these take to run in? l preferred the amp as it sounded before, so l hoping for some magic and it ain't happening.... at least not at the moment
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm James.

What did they replace ?

I'm Andy.

Sonicap 2.2
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

I'm Steve.

Capacitor upgrades are a source of endless fascination. But don't expect miracles. Polypropylenes are much of a muchness IMO.

The received wisdom is that the HUGE 600V, and upwards, grades sound better, but size may affect common mode effects too. As for "burning in" capacitors, well, forget about it! Audio hoey!

A big capacitor will couple to earth more effectively, and may even raise issues of polarity since the outer layer should be on the earth side.

It is hard to estimate the effects of replacing a smallish 2.2uF 250V with a large 3.3uF 600V. It depends what the function is in the circuit.

Since this is a compact Class D or Class T amplifier, which relies on sending unwanted high frequencies to ground, I'd need a schematic to estimate effects here.

The answer often lies in asking the question clearly. It may be that a very different bypass capacitor works better. This is what we do at radio frequencies.

I would also consider the high frequency impedance of the loudspeaker with Class D.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not my experience at all, I've found poly caps to be very variable, and I've certainly found them to have a running in period, some taking considerably longer than others. I'd be patient and get around a couple of hundred hours on them before finally making up your mind.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Not my experience at all, I've found poly caps to be very variable, and I've certainly found them to have a running in period, some taking considerably longer than others. I'd be patient and get around a couple of hundred hours on them before finally making up your mind.

There is definitely a difference in sound- it has taken several steps backwards! Been informed by people this morning who have fitted them in the same application say they do take ages ( 100hrs +) then you have the sound but right now it ain't happening have around 30hrs, as l said in an earlier post these things are big and just about fitted inside the amplifier, but not happy with the sound.

I'm James.

Yeah I've found different brands of MKP's sound different when used for coupling even though there should be no audible difference. I even went against popular opinion/accepted wisdom & tried tantalums for coupling... quite liked them

I'm Steve.

One has to wonder what it is that changes in a polypropylene capacitor as it ages, or burns in.

The dielectric certainly shouldn't change, though perhaps an oxide layer might form on aluminium as time goes by, which is Lynn Olson's idea.

Alan Shaw of Harbeth has moved away from non-polar electrolytics in favour of MKT (Polyester) or even MKP (polypropylene).

He guides you to think about it for yourself here:
    http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...ker-crossovers

Certainly, non-polars degrade with age, they dry out. At radio frequencies it is common to use an additional bypass capacitor of ceramic or tantalum, which bypasses the self inductance of capacitors and keeps them honest. This really shouldn't be an issue at audio frequencies however. Clarity Cap claim to have found a tendency for capacitors to sing at about 15kHz, but this really depends on the load factor IMO. Above the corner frequency, a capacitor is effectively a short and that's the end of it.

I'm Paul.

That was an excellent series of explanations by Alan and his reasoning seems pretty much spot on (which is what you'd expect from him!).

Non -polars used to be extensively used but their disadvantages largely outweigh the advantages which are cost and size.

Of the rest, polyprops and polyesters are more limited in values but since most passive crossovers rarely need the higher value caps, it's rarely a big issue.

As to sonic differences between them, then as Alan says, there is no reason why there should be any, although it may be worth bearing in mind the tolerance and performance of some caps changes with frequency and rating, so changing (increasing) cap values sometimes has a bearing on sonics for that reason.

It is both dangerous (as in misleading) advice and inappropriate though to give blanket recommendations for capacitors used in crossovers because the crossover/driver relationship is the key and depending upon design, what is right for one combination almost certainly will not be right for another. Unless you have loads of time on your hands and a measurement mic (as I had when developing my own crossovers), you won't be able to accurately determine the effects on your driver/room set up of varying types/combinations of capacitors and inductor types, so you pays your money and makes your choice. My advice would be to buy reasonably priced polyesters or polyprops for crossovers of the original values if refurbishing, then dont worry too much about it. If you have more time, then it can be interesting to see what, if any, the effects of trying various types, but I'd be willing to bet that the ratings have a larger effect given that the correct (original) capacitance values are used.

Then we have the circular arguments over resistors which is a whole other topic....or is it?

I'm Andy.

Mmmmm 50 hrs on the ClarityCaps and the sound is getting more fulsome and smoother but not as smooth and musical pre cap upgrade...watch this space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast