Default What makes an album a must

Trying to work it out....

Got hold of Baptist Generals - Jackleg Devotion last week
    As soon as I put it on I knew it was a very good album, samples had hinted
    Where you stop what you are doing, I was at work, and think "oh yes !"

but

The singing is, shall we say, different, some would not like it at all
    The instrument playing is not top notch, perhaps off key in places

So what is it that makes it so good, certainly for me ?
    The chords progressions, the dynamics, a.n.other ?

I remember the same feeling when I put on Jeff Beck - You had it coming.
    The same "this is something special"

Now you put this on a good system and the SQ is good

Upgrade the system and you have even more good

So what is it that makes an album, or a track so special ?
    I'd really like to know what my head is doing
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm ILOB.

Its your head Mike.
    I think this is such a subjective area as music is personal what makes a good album for me is not going to make a good album for someone else.
    For me its about preferences and something either touches me, engages me or energise me I also like to be able to enjoy the whole album and also like music that takes me on a journey
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nobody.

Mellotron, Flutes, Brass instrument all under one roof if possible..

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Its your head Mike.
    I think this is such a subjective area as music is personal what makes a good album for me is not going to make a good album for someone else.
    For me its about preferences and something either touches me, engages me or energise me I also like to be able to enjoy the whole album and also like music that takes me on a journey
    Agreed.
    But there are some commn factors that affect lots of people - and likely turn others off !
    I'm still going to keep trying to work out what works and what doesn't
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

synsei Guest

I know where you are coming from Mike however it is a total bugger to define. The strongest incidence of this that I have experienced is when I picked up a particular album back in the early 80's from Andy's Records in Northampton. I visited the shop with a short list of other albums but the one in question sort of 'spoke to me' as I came across it in the racks. There was something about the simple but gorgeous design of the black and white outer sleeve which appealed. Incidentally, I didn't even look at the details on the cover so was totally unaware of what I had bought musically. I got it home, put it on my TT and from the first few bars of music I knew I had bought a stunner. This was very, very different and exciting. Lots of moody synthesizers, including one which behaved like a guitar. Now, that was a first for me and I liked the sound a lot. On to side two and more quality material flowed from my speakers, until....wait I minute? I've heard that intro before on the radio... What I had bought, without being party to any hype at all, was Ultravox's seminal release, Vienna. I still own that copy of the album and even today it can send shivers down my spine...

I'm Josie.

I guess it's how it all gels together, then it needs to say something to you about either yourself or your life so far or/and needs to hit something inside that makes it resonate with an emotion or a past memory, situation, a great experience or even an altercation.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I know where you are coming from Mike however it is a total bugger to define. The strongest incidence of this that I have experienced is when I picked up a particular album back in the early 80's from Andy's Records in Northampton. I visited the shop with a short list of other albums but the one in question sort of 'spoke to me' as I came across it in the racks. There was something about the simple but gorgeous design of the black and white outer sleeve which appealed. Incidentally, I didn't even look at the details on the cover so was totally unaware of what I had bought musically. I got it home, put it on my TT and from the first few bars of music I knew I had bought a stunner. This was very, very different and exciting. Lots of moody synthesizers, including one which behaved like a guitar. Now, that was a first for me and I liked the sound a lot. On to side two and more quality material flowed from my speakers, until....wait I minute? I've heard that intro before on the radio... What I had bought, without being party to any hype at all, was Ultravox's seminal release, Vienna. I still own that copy of the album and even today it can send shivers down my spine...
    I have bought so many CDs in the past few years, from 0 in 2005, that the special ones stand out.
    To complicate things further there are also some growers that grab you after x amount of plays
    I am aware of Ultravox, probably heard Vienna. Will give it a go tomorrow (can't sample at home)

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I guess it's how it all gels together, then it needs to say something to you about either yourself or your life so far or/and needs to hit something inside that makes it resonate with an emotion or a past memory, situation, a great experience or even an altercation.
    Quite.
    Also includes listening history too I'm sure
    Nicely complicated
    Now where is that Howard Goodall bloke to explain it

Mike

+ Reply to Thread