+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rega Elicit R

I'm Ian.

Default Rega Elicit R

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone has bought or went to listen to this amp. I would be interested to hear your thoughts particularly on its abilty to drive difficult speaker loads.

Thanks
    Yani

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's being planned It's basically a bigger Brio R with preamp/phono stage refinements, so as long as you're not driving 1 ohm Apogee panels or 3 ohm insensitive Maggies, I don't think there'd be a problem otherwise...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ian.

Hi Dave
    Thanks for the reply. I had the Brio R myself driving large Celestion A standmounts (4 ohm). I enjoyed the overall presentation and the added clarity but missed the scale of the bi-amp Audiolabs which it had replaced. On anything large scale and driving bass lines it seemed a tad light. Ended up taking it out and using the Audiolabs again. Less detail but greater clout.

I am now wondering if the Elicit R would give me all the things I liked about the Brio R but with the drive and clout in the bass of the Audiolabs.

Yani

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quick question - what preamp is driving the Audiolabs? It's yonks ago now, but the mid-late 90's 8000M and MX amps could be taken further with carefully selected preamp (AVI or 8000Q over the 8000C for example...). Also, I have to say this but the Croft 25/7 combination will also do much of what you seek (I've compared these with the brio R many many times ).

I HAVE heard the Osiris amp from Rega and again, it sounds like a bigger, better Brio R, with the same sparkle and lightness, but with far more authority (so it bloody should have the extra it costs )

I'm Ian.

I also should have said I am replacing my kitchen next month so I don't want to go near any dealers until next year when I am more likely to have spare cash.
    Hence the reason for asking about other peoples views for the time being.

Yani

I'm Ian.

I am using a 8000 LX integrated on the tweeters (uk model) and an 8000p on the woofers. So the pre-amp is the Audiolab itself.

I'm David.

That's GOT to be changed!!! Sell the LX (grainy) and get a good UK made 8000Q at the very least (I don't know if the new cheap 'Chinese' one is internally identical - sorry). I promise it'll clear things up. Use smoother interconnects though, rather than 'deeeeeetailed' ones, as the treble will bite your head off. Sod the bi-amping, in this case it's a non-starter IMO.

I'm Ian.

Or get an Elicit R possibly ??.

The fact I liked the Brio R but for the clout makes me sort of curious as to how the Elicit R would perform. I am not criticising the Brio R as I realise I probably was asking too much of it with my 4 Ohm Celestions. I do love the big warm sound of the speakers though so wont change these until they go pop.

I'm Dave.

The Elicit-r with it's extra power and drive, provides the 'clout' you are looking for plus better imagery, prescence and refinement. The internal phono stage is also better.

+ Reply to Thread