• 8 out of 10

2 15.38%
  • 9 out of 10

1 7.69%
  • 10 out of 10

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 111: 17.09.2013: Jewel - Spirit (1998)

I'm ILOB.

I am giving it a 7
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm paul.

Hi All, I have this on vinyl although its not seen daylight in a long time so it was quite easy to listen with fresh ears.
    Not really my sort of thing , she has a very nice voice but just a little to indistinct for me. A very nice sounding album
    but one for my missus and her friends, 5 from me .
    Paul

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine
    LOL - the least they could do is explain why!

Perhaps they saw 'Jewel' and read it as 'Britney'?

synsei Guest

It's not the style but the influence. Tori has done a number of piano interpretations of LZ and other rock numbers. The similarity that you mention is quirky and piano after that Kate and Tori are quite different. What I am saying is similarities are superficial. Also note Tori is a constant live performer, Kate did one tour and a few guest appearances so one can say Kate stuff is very much studio rather than live band based. Also note earlier Tori songs are based on personal experiences (often unpleasant) while Kate material was more based in fantasy and literature. Tori is not a KB copier is my point as so many people on Hoffman forum appear convinced. I doubt she ever heard KB music much as her music is not well known in the US. Of course I can't see any similarity between KB/Tori and Jewel. Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine
    If you like Tori's material Paul try listening to this album from Jo Hamilton:

My favourite Tori album at the moment is this one:

I'm ChrisB.

I've never heard this or any of her work. I like it more than I imagined that I would. I hear some RLJones in her voice, especially in track no. 8 'Fat Boy'. I'm going to give it a few more spins before I give it a score - thanks for suggesting it Martin, it's been entertaining so far.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    If you like Tori's material Paul try listening to this album from Jo Hamilton:

My favourite Tori album at the moment is this one:

I recently bought the Strange Little Girls CD after avoiding it for years. Certainly very underrated and excellent sound.
    Will try Jo Hamilton -not a name I am familiar with.

I'm Barry.

Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine
    Well it wasn't me I gave it 1/10, that was because I thought the first track was ok the rest was tedious.
    Sorry for being blunt just not my thing.
    btw I notice there are a lot of 0/10 all of a sudden, maybe somebody is having a bit of fun.

MartinT Guest

There's only one 0/10. By the way, I'm not offended and wish that more members would vote HOWEVER they feel. It defeats the object if you decide not to vote because you don't like it!

I'm Paul.

I have given this 6/10 Martin. I have the album, which I bought after having it recommended by a friend and have to say I'm un convinced. She has an OK voice but nothing I'd say was special personally.

P.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Bernie.

I never really liked her but I do like this album. I give it 9/10.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast