+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happening to this forum?

I'm John.

To a very large extent I would agree with the OP, that being said it not only applies to this forum but to other hifi forums as well, this would seem to indicate that perhaps the warmer summer has meant less time at the keyboard.

One recent thread I particularly enjoyed was SQ's restoration of his Krell Power amp, the pictorial account of the amp being restored was a joy to read.

I'm John.

I don't agree with the OP. This summer has been fantastic and people have been doing things that you can only do outside (ooooh, er). When the cold, wet and windy stuff arrives and the long, dark nights are here, then there will be an upsurge of posts.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hi Andy, for me personally, I'd go for your latter theory - I've been more "guilty" than anyone taking a summer sabatical, but I do believe it will pick up as the nights draw in. I guess we'll see?!
    That is a lovely photo on your avatar Alex. Cracking kids!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    There's plenty here for everyone, Richard. Please remember that we are all individuals with our own take on equipment and sounds. You are, ultimately, speaking with forum members who are into music. How we go about it and what we hear is the challenge of interpretation and the fun of discussion. Open your mind a little!
    Thanks Martin. Like every bigot I think I am open-minded. I like most of the forum members. I just want to find out if there is another uncensored playground where people hang out. You know - a bit like "what other hobbies do you have?" - which other HiFi forums do you belong to? In my case, having browsed a bit, that should be "which other forums do you belong to and you can remember the login and password for"? since it seems I've applied to a few over the years googling a particular answer, as they point out when I try to register, and can't for the life of me remember what I registered with. To date, this is the only one I've posted on that I am aware. The only one's I've cracked so far are vinyl engine, where I used an old favourite, and the forbidden forest where I hadn't previously registered. Just my enquiring - open - mind

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I might be wrong but but it seems that the forum has lost its way over the last three months or so. To me, it seems to have turned into a DinDins and Wots Spinning forum at the expense of the great technical topics/advice/banter that used to be prevalent. Even the mods appear post very little now. I initially put this down to being a temporary summer hols thing but now I'm not so sure.
    It's obviously navel-gazing time for hifi forums, because there's a very similar thread running at pfm. I doubt there's a single reason; the good summer weather is obviously a factor, but I think forums in general are feeling the effects of the dilution of 'proper' hifi with computer audio, which maybe has less tinkering potential.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I've also been quiter than usual, as certain matters pertaining to my business have been taking up most of my time. However that will change soon, and I will have more time to contribute. Also, as others have said, things always pick up again once the full holiday season comes to an end.
    Plus you've been 'playing away' at pfm!

I'm Confused.

I think of this place as (one of) my favourite pubs. Nice place to spend a cosy hour or two, particularly on cold winter nights, and the other guys you first found there are an interesting bunch to discuss some of your favourite topics with. However things change, inevitably. Some of the new guys that join are not so interesting and seem to want to discuss things you discussed ages ago, and then you start to realise that even the ones you originally thought were interesting seem to have a limited range of subjects they want to talk about - again an inevitable part of forum life. Still many guys you like to discuss things with but the other sort slowly begin to 'outweigh' the pleasure you originally got.
    Just my take on AoS.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Thanks Martin. Like every bigot I think I am open-minded. I like most of the forum members. I just want to find out if there is another uncensored playground where people hang out. You know - a bit like "what other hobbies do you have?" - which other HiFi forums do you belong to? In my case, having browsed a bit, that should be "which other forums do you belong to and you can remember the login and password for"? since it seems I've applied to a few over the years googling a particular answer, as they point out when I try to register, and can't for the life of me remember what I registered with. To date, this is the only one I've posted on that I am aware. The only one's I've cracked so far are vinyl engine, where I used an old favourite, and the forbidden forest where I hadn't previously registered. Just my enquiring - open - mind
    Don't PCs have a password manager built in? My computer (can't say its a Mac 'cos....well, you know) just logs me in automatically. If there's a problem, I can access the encripted passwords and redo them.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Plus you've been 'playing away' at pfm!
    Lol... Ya gots ta spread the love, dude

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I think of this place as (one of) my favourite pubs. Nice place to spend a cosy hour or two, particularly on cold winter nights, and the other guys you first found there are an interesting bunch to discuss some of your favourite topics with. However things change, inevitably. Some of the new guys that join are not so interesting and seem to want to discuss things you discussed ages ago, and then you start to realise that even the ones you originally thought were interesting seem to have a limited range of subjects they want to talk about - again an inevitable part of forum life. Still many guys you like to discuss things with but the other sort slowly begin to 'outweigh' the pleasure you originally got.
    Just my take on AoS.
    Dave.
    I think that's an astute observation, Dave. It certainly contains more than a few grains of truth

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast