+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Garden Safari

Default Back Garden Safari

The photography you can do while still listening to music - sometimes I can't be bothered getting up pre-dawn and heading off to a random place to freeze to death when I'm in a photographic mood, so I've got a back garden full of bird-tables .... and a cheapy black roller blind with lens-sized holes cut into it. Keeps the trigger-finger in practice...

though this chap never poses where I want him....

I'm InSpace.

Is that a Merlin or a small Sparrow Hawk?... we get one just like it in our garden from time to time but I usually only get a glimpse as it buggers off at a rate of knots. Usually clutching something tasty!

Top photos matey!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neil.

Fantastic photos Spod...WOW

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Is that a Merlin or a small Sparrow Hawk
    Sparrow Hawk - saw him plucking a sparrow to bits on the lawn once but couldn't get the camera out fast enough!

I'm ChrisB.

I used to have an office right in the middle of a very large forest - not quite like the one in my avatar.....this one had walls! It was very quiet there after I'd sent the staff & contractors off to do their work for the day, as you might imagine. About 10 metres away from my window there were some Rowan trees & every year, they had huge crops of bright red berries. The local bird life used to go mad for them. It was quite interesting because one particular Thrush used to guard 'his' tree with a really violent attitude, so all the other birds used to generally keep to the rest of the trees.

Anyway, perhaps once a week, a Sparrowhawk used to appear from nowhere & just scream into a tree and - BANG!! ......bye bye birdy!! What a sight!

I also remember another time when I was measuring some trees for a sale & I kept hearing a wierd and frantic squawking noise travelling through the woodland. Then I saw it......a woodpecker manically dodging between the tree trunks, flying for it's life. He had my mate, the Sparrowhawk on his tail about a foot behind him. I was rooting for both of them - I admired the sheer skill of the hawk & felt sorry for his dinner.

I don't know who came best off in the end, though the squawking carried on long after they both went out of sight.

I'm Nick.

Wow. Fantastic pictures Spod!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Wow. Fantastic pictures Spod!
    Yes, rude of me to butt in there with my fantasies of spending less time in offices & more where I want to be!

Fab pictures - I like the (Green?)Finches.

I'm Steve.

Lovely pics! thanks for sharing them.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    - I like the (Green?)Finches.
    Yes, I belive they are, possibly slightly greener in the flesh than the photo gets over, though only marginally. Only took that shot last week, haven't seen them in the garden before but I've got so much bird food out there these days I guess they couldn't resist!

I'm ChrisB.

Just to bring this thread nicely round to the subject of hi-fi...........

I think the light meter on your camera might be a bit dodgy because the pictures seem a bit 'bright'

You could restore the balance if you had some of these.............http://norhanakkad.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/61/........think about it now!!
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 13-05-2009 at 17:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast