• 8 out of 10

1 5.26%
  • 9 out of 10

4 21.05%
  • 10 out of 10

7 36.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 110: 10.09.2013: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club - Week 110: 10.09.2013: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)

Welcome to the first offering in the latest round of AoS's Album Club. Many thanks go to John for kicking things off with this utterly legendary album:

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)

This is Nick's first album and probably my favourite. Nick has a clean, mature voice and the music is beautifully recorded and haunting.
    Some of my personal favourite tracks include 'Cello Song' and 'Man in a Shed'. The lyrics on this album are Nicks most hopeful.
    Nick never got the commercial success he wanted and unfortunately his life was all too short. For me the music has a timeless quality to it

Grooveshark Link to Five Leave Left

Video of 'Cello Song':

Nick Drake Wiki Page
    Five Leaves Left Album Wiki Page

If you want to learn more about Nick, this BBC documentary is highly recommended:

Kaleidoscope

I'm Lawrence.

I listened to the album with interest, not having heard more than a couple of tracks previously. Nice "relaxing" music, but not really enough variety for my taste. I voted 7. He does have a very pleasant singing voice, the tempo of most of the tracks was too slow for me.

Lawrence

I'm ILOB.

Understand where you coming from Lawrence For me its about his voice and guitar playing It is such a good combination
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Twisted.

A wonderful album, though bettered in my opinion by both Bryter Layter and Pink Moon, which is my personal favourite for its sparseness and tragedy.

Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm ILOB.

Pink Moon is just to painful at times for me
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Barry.

The vocals are just too monotone for me, its a chill out album and yes the guitar playing is nice but he comes across as a poor man's Donovan.

6/10 from me.

I'm ILOB.

lol

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    The vocals are just too monotone for me, its a chill out album and yes the guitar playing is nice but he comes across as a poor man's Donovan.

6/10 from me.
    Yeh a bit harsh on ND that, Donovan is only a busker, I like a tune so the guitar work is a bit wasted on me.

Anyway a negative comment is better than no comment, I'm sure people think they have to be a member of Album Club to post

I'm ILOB.

I always see music as a very subjective experience so no worries about negative comments, music taste is personal

I'm Paul.

I've just been listening to the new boxed vinyl version of this. Still fuming as they have pressed the entire run with misprinted labels. There is also conjecture as to if they used 24/96 digital source or found a usable tape (the original master apparently being beyond use though it was still fine only a few years ago). This after receiving the Mary Black No Frontiers reissue with a locked groove. Anyway Audio quality at least is pretty good but dark sounding.

That aside this is a great album. I'm puzzled how anyone can describe Drake as a poor man's Donovan. It's got to be 9/10 only because I like his next album 'Bryter Layter' even more. Superb guitar playing and string arrangements by the late Robert Kirby.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast