+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Lampizator Level 4 Gen 4 Tube Roller's DAC

I'm Doru.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Did you find getting the lid off a challenge? Did you have to prize it of with a screwdriver or something?
    You don't have to completely remove the lid; you have to unscrew all the screws at the back and underneath the DAC and the two screws found at the top of the front face. Then you can push the cover towards the back until you gain access to the 6x5.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by drumiha View Post
    You don't have to completely remove the lid; you have to unscrew all the screws at the back and underneath the DAC and the two screws found at the top of the front face. Then you can push the cover towards the back until you gain access to the 6x5.
    Yup tried exactly that a while ago - couldn't slide the lid back enough to get to the rectifier. Bit of a problem, really. I'll have to prise the lid off I think.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    had the great privelige of hearing a lampi in my system yesterday with the msb s200 power amp which is very very special and the lampi did not disappoint with the logans
    The latest fresh looking silver facsias and white lit buttons are definitely the way to go, looking at that little setup.

Glad you enjoyed it, even if you don't go for one. They can't suit everyone's taste.

I'm Norm.

Yup tried exactly that a while ago - couldn't slide the lid back enough to get to the rectifier. Bit of a problem, really. I'll have to prise the lid off I think.

Yes, you have to prise off from one side first, as it has a bit of give. Its like a clamshell.

The Raytheon you mentioned was a recti or output tube?

I'm Justin.

Think of it as a seriously good ECC81. It is in the output stage for this DAC.

Be careful. The Penta Labs ones I have are actually a 6414 and a 6829. I think a genuine 6414 has black plates. A 6829 has grey plates. The Penta Labs say 6829 on them but one also says 6414 in small writing. That is because that is what it actually is. It has black plates and looks exactly like the Raytheon branded ones I have. The other Penta looks exactly like the grey plate 6829 GE tubes I have.

Hence the comment about mixing tubes. Somehow the Pentas do sound great, even though they are a mix. Almost as if the best aspects of each tube shine through.

If you only have an ECC40 socket don't worry Norman. The Mullard ECC40s sounded OK and the Tungrams probably will too after a few burn in hours. I just personally prefer the 6414 by quite a bit. You might not!

From Watford valves:

"This 6414W was made and tested by Raytheon U.S.A for National Electronics as part of their premium selected Gold line range.

This is high grade valve was selected for computer circuits and was used extensively by IBM and the American Military. The 6414W was only made in the U.S.A and has a 10,000 hour heater rating. The 6414W Raytheon was selected as the factory of choice by National Electronics USA as It is a more ruggedly built, offers long life rating and is made to full military specifications. National Electronics then after a burn in process then selected the valves and then marketed them as their premium Gold line.

This valve is used by Manly Labs in a number of its studio products such as Voxbox, Massive Passive, ELOP, Mono and Dual Mono mic pre, SLAM, and Pultec EQ. Manley also use the 6414 in audio products such as Stingray amps and MAHI monoblocks.

This special quality industrial valve offers the best quality audio sound and used is by many of our professional studio customers using Manly equipment. This item is very now hard to find and this is possible the last time we will find this item in any quantity in pristine condition.

The valves come in the original National Gold line box with the 6414 made in the USA printed on the glass. These are the best 6414 that you can get."

I'm Phil.

The latest fresh looking silver facsias and white lit buttons are definitely the way to go, looking at that little setup.

Glad you enjoyed it, even if you don't go for one. They can't suit everyone's taste.
    yes , its quite a practical solution having dac/pre together and valve as well
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112