+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linear Power Supply for Squuezebox Touch

I'm Abe.

Default Linear Power Supply for Squuezebox Touch

Just a quick one on this.

I think I've just transformed my SBT from a mere 'convenience' music streamer into a serious High End audio stuff.

Thanks to the newly acquired Linear DC Power Supply.

YMMV but it made that oft use night and day difference to my setup.
    Better 3D, increased realism and spatial details, bass and other what hifi style expletives.

In a word - It just makes my system less hifi sounding.

Would highly recommend all SBT owners to go the Linear way...I guess it's a sin if you don't.
    -abe-

I'm ChrisB.

Hi 'abe' can you ammend your user details please,to show your real first name? I think it's David isn't it?

I'm Abe.

Chris,
    Abe is the name.
    (Similar to the late Japanese Moto GP rider, Norrick Abe)

Done. Profile was updated/amended.
    -abe-

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi 'abe' can you ammend your user details please,to show your real first name? I think it's David isn't it?
    His real name is indeed Abe. A loyal customer of mine for many years who I introduced to AoS.

I'm ChrisB.

Ah, OK thanks for that then Abe. And Stan.
    Apologies for the mix up.

Quote Originally Posted by aBe View Post
    Thanks to the newly acquired Linear DC Power Supply.
    I have tried the Touch with a number of Linear power supplies and it does seem to sound better with one. But I have also been trying it with the standard PSU and a prototype power supply filter. The results are very encouraging so far.

I'm Abe.

No worries on the mix up.

Stan,

I don't think I can go back to using the standard PSU.
    Probably by using the Linear supply, another dirty SMPS unit had effectively been removed from the mains supply chain and resulted in a cleaner power supply.
    -abe-

Wait till my DC Linearizer LNF is ready and I can send you one to try. The output from the DC Linearizer is nearly identical to the £200 Lurcher PSU. But the output from the Lurcher linear PSU with my DC Linearizer is nearly identical to a Li-ion 12V battery. So even if you are using a linear PSU it will be worth using it with the DC Linearizer.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Wait till my DC Linearizer LNF is ready and I can send you one to try. The output from the DC Linearizer is nearly identical to the £200 Lurcher PSU. But the output from the Lurcher linear PSU with my DC Linearizer is nearly identical to a Li-ion 12V battery. So even if you are using a linear PSU it will be worth using it with the DC Linearizer.
    What's the score nowadays with SMPSs injecting noise back into the mains, even if their output can be cleaned up nicely with circuits such as the one you're describing here? I'm sure that it's possible to produce SMPS that does not have a detrimental effect on other bits of equipment, but most of these things are produced cheaply, to say the least.

I don't want to get into whether things are produced cheaply or not. It hasn't stopped Apple charging a fortune for their cheaply produced phones. Cost of manufacturing does not guarantee you a good product at the end of it either. What counts is the performance of the design.

I can't speak for the design of SMPS in general, but the one I had designed for me for the Bushmaster produces around 50mV of noise. A similarly rated SMPS in terms of voltage and current would normally be expected to produce about 300mV of noise.
    But when the noise is measured at the output of the DC Linearizer filter fitted inside the Bushmaster MKII the noise is about 1mV. This is even lower than many linear power supplies costing more than the whole Bushmaster MKII. I have posted pictures of the measurements in one of the threads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast