+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA 200 for sale. Complete nut and bolt rebuild...

I'm Simon.

Default Krell KSA 200 for sale. Complete nut and bolt rebuild...

You've seen the thread, you know the work that went into this rebuild. But just in case you missed it in the DIY section, here's the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59684834@N08/sets/72157634946321928/

This is a Krell KSA 200, Class A, solid state amp from Krell, built back when Krell stood for something real and was a byword for battleship build quality. This unit has been completely serviced, re-capped and benefits from a nut and bolt strip down. Here's the list of what has been done.

The unit was serviced with two output transistors and one driver stage transistor being replaced.
    All parts of the output stage, driver boards and main pcb's were checked and trimmed against the original service manual specs.
    The amp was then completely stripped down to the bare boards and chassis parts.
    Every chassis part was cleaned, stripped and or refinished/resprayed where required.
    All metal fasteners and fixings were either replaced with new metric equivalents, brass psu cap mounts, ballast resistor fittings or stripped and refinished, Imperial spec fittings, pcb mounts etc.
    Every electrical contact was opened, cleaned and deoxed.
    The large 24v relays were all opened, stripped, rinsed with iso, dried and then rebuilt and tested.
    Every PCB was defluxed, rinsed and polished, there's not a trace that any of the pcb's are anything other than brand new parts.
    All 24 of 100v electrolytic capacitors on the main boards were replaced with new 105 degree, DIN rated parts. (Were gold now blue)
    All small signal and protection board electrolytic capacitors were replaced with modern equivalents with 105 degree or higher temperature rating.
    All tired looking solder joints were re-flowed with new leaded solder.
    The 6 main psu caps were replaced with brand new Kendeil 47,000uf 105 degree rated parts, these 6 caps cost £70 each.
    All psu cap wiring was replaced with new cold crimped 4mm wire and lug fixings.
    The main PSU diode bridges were replaced with new Vishay diodes to the original specifications.
    All signal path wiring for the main pcb's to the output panel were replaced with new shielded wires.
    The main transformer was treated to new rubber mounting washers.
    Then it was all rebuilt incredibly carefully, ensuring that the placement of every part of the wiring loom for all the pcbs and parts matched the original spec precisely.
    Since then it's been run in for a few days and sounds simply superb.

Long story short, this has been completely rebuilt, with every ageing component having been replaced with new parts of matching or better than original specification. I can guarantee that it is at least as good as the day it was born and should provide the lucky new owner with another 20 years of sterling service.

Obviously there's over £600 worth of new parts and consumables in this Krell KSA 200 and over 105 hours of build time have been lavished upon it. What price perfection? £2100, and I'll even deliver it within reason FOC, (North of London and South of Glasgow).

If you'd like to listen to it, then that can most definitely be arranged, weekdays or weekends in Sheffield. In fact, I think an amp of this quality demands an audition. A few interested parties have already asked to demo it so any offers to buy will be be considered in the order they were made.

Any questions please ask, the Flickr pictures are commented, you will find answers to most any question already on the images.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Deleted.

Erm - I'm actually quite tempted - this is a remarkable amp and really beautifully rebuilt!
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

In fact, will be having a private word...
    Account Deleted

I'm James.

Lovely, just... lovely

Best of luck with the sale, though I doubt you'll need it !

I'm Simon.

To be honest I think it's a good few weeks before the amp buying season starts in earnest, tends to be October that people start looking, but what the hell.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Brian.

It's not often an amp comes with a full rebuild history of its very own Simon . I watched your posts on this with great interest . Beautiful job mate . Good luck with the sale.

I'm Dave.

Beautiful...

Looks like it was designed by the likes of HR Geiger.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Related smaller KSA80's don't go for hugely less and this one's been lovingly restored now it's twenty or more years old.

This generation of Krells was the last for a fair while of the true greats from this manufacturer before they came good again with the FPB series, which despite depreciation, start at nigh-on double this price asked. It'll drive anything from 'nearly' a short circuit upwards and will be totally unflappable while doing this. Only the heat and consumption dates it, as later models had a sort-of floating bias situation.

For the right owner, this amp should be something of a bargain and I suspect the replacement caps may live longer than the originals too...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Simon.

I've been watching unserviced 50's and 80's go for 1400-1500 so this seemed like a very fair price for the bigger amp with a full service and £500+ of parts under its belt.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I loved the 80 and 80B, but just don't have this kind of money now. Hope Mark can be persuaded to get it and replace those old low powered quasi complimentary PA amps of his
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast