+ Reply to Thread
Page 491 of 611 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541591 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol, not at all. They wouldn't improve my lifestyle in any useful or desirable way, so there's simply no point in having one. Whereas, an Internet bank account is something that is (and does). There are lots of areas where I've embraced the use of tech because it's advantageous for ME. If not, then what's the point?

I'm neither intransigent nor a technophobe. If I consider the latest new thing to be no-brainer better than that which it replaced, then I'll adopt it, if not I won't and continue as I was doing before, which for me is the sensible course of action.

As I've said many times before, it's about cherry-picking which forms of tech are genuinely an asset to YOU, and which aren't, and therefore simply adopting use of the former, rather than being a 'gadget junkie', and using everything, simply to be up to date or 'fashionable'.

Marco.
    twas a jest...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Lol... Perhaps the answer is to live in a low-crime area?
    Officially it was, though there was a murder - shooting - in a street nearby, and a very high profile knife attack years ago.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    like you and smart phones eh
    And EVs - preferring to blast the ears off everyone in the neighbourhood with vroom-vroom exhausts and "old fashioned" ICEs!
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Officially it was, though there was a murder - shooting - in a street nearby, and a very high profile knife attack years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    taggart was in the tv series of colditz in 70's. i saw him when i started watching it recently; decent part too.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

And EVs - preferring to blast the ears off everyone in the neighbourhood with vroom-vroom exhausts and "old fashioned" ICEs!
    lol, well its good we are al different i guess. this ev im getting obviously will be my first; maybe my last too, but it will fit with my needs although i'd have preferred the big nissan as it was a "nicer place to be", but i wont be in it much
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    twas a jest...
    I know, and that's how it took it. However, I wanted to reiterate that if I think something new is massively better than what I've been using or doing up until then, I'll get it, but otherwise not. Sometimes 'progress', in the truest sense, is further from being achieved than purported by those seeking to effect said 'progress'...

That's one of the reasons, going back to a previous discussion, why we didn't rip out our (then) open coal fire and 'upgrade' it with a gas or electric one!

We GENUINELY upgraded it instead by using the space to install a more efficient wood-burning stove... Therefore, sticking with 'old tech' there made more sense.

Sometimes newer isn't better, or 'better' in a way that matters most to you. People are often too quick or keen to jump on the latest bandwagon!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

How many miles/kWh or km/kWh do you normally get? Our two vehicles (EVs) range between 4-4.5 mile/kWh (about 6.4-7.2 km/kWh) and 3-3.5 mile/kWh (4.8-5.6 km/kWh) approximately.
    I assume yours is a plug-in hybrid, so the battery will be considerably smaller than a full EV. Does the combustion engine stay off during the whole of your trip, or does it kick in occasionally?
    Here travelling above 50 mph (80km/hour) does increase the consumption rate. Mostly we can't drive signicantly faster than that, though there is a dual carriageway section where 70 mph (112km/hour) is allowed and the national limit is 60 mph (96/km/hour) which works on some roads.

As long as you can get there and back each day there surely isn't a problem!

If you forget to plug your vehicle in, or you can't get a charge at work, then you would need to make sure you have fuel in the tank, and ideally you should be able to do most of your journeys on battery power alone.
    My car is a PHEV. My average electrical consumption is 18.2 kWh/100km.

I have a 50 litre fuel tank as well, so I am unlikely to get stuck anywhere as when the battery os flat, the car automatically switches to the ICE.

When I commute, the ICE hardly ever cuts in, but if I know I am going to struggle to do the journey 100% electric, I will force the car to switch to the ICE on the long straight bits done at constant speed, and keep the electrical power for built up areas.

I have just been monitoring the battery usage against the claims to see how realistic the real world is, and colder weather certainly affects the range, but probably not as much as the quicker journeys, where the average speed is much higher.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Was this in the Inverness area you're living now or 'darn sarf'?

One of the things I hate most about living in big cities is the greater propensity for being a victim of crime. The only time we were ever burgled (in the middle of the night, too) was when we lived in Glasgow!

Other than that, I've never been a victim of crime, or been somewhere where such is prevalent.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Plus, if we hit a traffic jam on the motorway, a road map can be very useful for identifying an 'escape route', via exiting at a forthcoming junction, onto another road that will take us to our destination and avoid sitting still in the traffic jam.

Try doing that with a sat-nav!

Marco.
    It’s funny but that’s precisely what I tend to use a satnav for.

When we’re going somewhere new, I research the route and commit it to memory (as, bless her, Ursula’s sense of direction is hopeless!) and might use the satnav for the very last bit of the journey to the destination if I’ve not been there before.

However, if the traffic suddenly goes to hell, the satnav can be great for getting you round it if the area is unfamiliar.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread