+ Reply to Thread
Page 488 of 611 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490498538588 ... LastLast
Results 4,871 to 4,880 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a better name is a pocket computer really now. one of the few things they are used for is actually talking to folk with lol. but i like mine. but ive always been a bit techy
    Another name is ID tracker.

Talk to people with a phone - another joker round here surely!
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Try to run a bank account without a smart phone
    I've got a bank account and a smartphone but there's no connection between the two.

They used to keep asking me to go on internet banking but the way I see it I never needed that facility before so why would I need it now? Just makes things more complicated for no real purpose.

When I got lost going for my covid jab I was able to bring up streetmap on the 'phone and find my way there. Now that's a useful facility worth having even if it's only needed once in a blue moon. Imagine having to ask passers-by for directions? No man wants to have to resort to that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got a bank account and a smartphone but there's no connection between the two.
    They used to keep asking me to go on internet banking but the way I see it I never needed that facility before so why would I need it now? Just makes things more complicated for no real purpose.
    You're lucky if you can keep things that way. Banks change - close branches - all sorts of other eventualities.

I have several different accounts. One is good, and the internet banking works very well. I don't use it with a mobile phone mostly. Some of the others are a complete pain in the proverbials.
    I was just about managing with one bank system, but then they changed it so I have to use a mobile phone - absolutely appalling. Not to mention the fact that often the signal is poor so getting the codes and all that stuff doesn't work well.

Agree - sometimes about the direction finding - but the things do track where you are - and what you do and what you buy etc.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

When I got lost going for my covid jab I was able to bring up streetmap on the 'phone and find my way there. Now that's a useful facility worth having even if it's only needed once in a blue moon. Imagine having to ask passers-by for directions? No man wants to have to resort to that.
    ive interweb banking..(yes i said banking) i use it all time to keep track really as getting to a cash machine is getting more difficult and branches are closing everywhere. rarely use cash.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Don't get me on to smartphones - hate the **** things.

OK - the phones themselves can be useful sometimes - for example for a portable satnav if you use a hire car, but what really gets me totally p***d off is that nowadays you're not a person if you don't have a smartphone.
    Try to run a bank account without a smart phone - and the banks are all different. It's an absolute nightmare trying to enter passwords, and 2nd factor authorisation etc.
    Eventually we'll have 57 factor authorisation - "to protect us".

People say - why don't you keep all your passwords in the cloud - like Apple. Must be crazy.

Why don't you keep the passwords in the browser - I do sometimes - but anything important is written down, and I've taken to using some very choice passwords as I'm so disgusted with the things.
    Sometimes they work!

Before you get to see pictures of yellow and blue cars and are asked "click on the pictures with taxis". Don't they know that we don't have yellow taxis over here - mostly!
    Lol, good rant, Dave! However, I successfully run various bank accounts without a smartphone. For Internet banking, I use my laptop instead!

I've never understood why able-bodied folk at home choose to conduct their business or social activities online, using something with a tiny keyboard and buttons, when you can do it all much easier on a bigger screen and proper-sized keyboard instead...

So... Phones when you're out and about, laptop when you're at home. For me, that's the sensible way of doing things.

Furthermore, where I live I still have access to branches of my bank, so can easily pop into town and conduct my business the old-fashioned way, or shock horror, even speak with my manager!

As I've said many times before, tech should serve YOU, not vice versa.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

ive interweb banking..(yes i said banking) i use it all time to keep track really as getting to a cash machine is getting more difficult and branches are closing everywhere. rarely use cash.
    No shortage of cash machines or banks round here, daftee. I can walk to one of the former in about 3 mins

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I’m with NatWest, and never thought I would use the App but gave it a try and it’s brilliant, I hardly ever use the web version now, especially as the App uses the finger print sensor to verify my identity rather than trying to remember PIN and what the 2nd 5th and 8th letter of my password is... I also use the Apple wallet with my cards and that is great too - well, until I lose my ‘phone!

I also use google maps on it instead of the sat nav in the car as it is much better and up to date. I also have the Ordnance Survey app and an annual subscription which gives you all of their maps and is brilliant for planning and going on walks. The To Do app is brilliant for shopping lists etc., and with Spotify on it I play that in the car too. All in all, a great tool and even a pretty good camera. When you think about where we were 20 years ago it’s been incredible progress really, whether you like them or not.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

It is possible, with some banks, to operate without a phone - or at least having one to carry around. However many are now using 2nd factor authorisation based on phones. It used to be possible to do online banking at home without a phone - and that can be really useful. Depends on the bank, I think.
    Dave

IThey used to keep asking me to go on internet banking but the way I see it I never needed that facility before so why would I need it now? Just makes things more complicated for no real purpose.
    What about when you need to pay someone, for the purchase of goods, via bank transfer, if they don't use Paypal? Say, you've just bought a pair of speakers from me for £1k, and I want paid via bank transfer - how would you process the transation in a timely manner?

Or manage your SOs or DDs, or transfer funds from a current to a savings account? With Internet banking that's all a piece of piss, but without it, a ball-ache!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No shortage of cash machines or banks round here, daftee. I can walk to one of the former in about 3 mins

Marco.
    nearest is at one of supermarkets. there used to be 2 at each but its one now and they are not always working. so where i am you need a car really for anything as im in the sticks a bit. still its quieter that way. you can walk it tho if your fit no bother. Im struggling to walk to car from door and its only a few paces arthritis is setting into this leg i damaged i think; just another issue.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread