+ Reply to Thread
Page 452 of 611 FirstFirst ... 352402442450451452453454462502552 ... LastLast
Results 4,511 to 4,520 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i think modern folk quite like it as they are quicker and most are running around all day. you and i can take our time
    Indeed, but that's a whole other conversation: *why* does no-one any longer have TIME to themselves and are always rushing around like blue-arsed flies; what precisely has caused that?

Also, in terms of "modern folk", why does it always have to be one or the other, i.e. choosing between modern and old-fashioned life or principles, rather than embracing BOTH?

I'm "modern folk" when it suits ME, after *I* (no-one else) has decided that it's the BEST for *me*, and represents genuine and worthwhile progress in areas of interest to ME, such as I download/stream music and movies, have a smart meter to help control my energy usage, have Internet banking, use induction technology on our cooker, amongst various other things, and will soon be installing solar panels in our property, to provide us with self-sufficient 'green energy'.

However' I'm 'old-fashioned folk', by choosing to shun electric cars and stick to diesel of petrol-powered ones (for as long as possible), have a multi-fuel (wood and coal) burner, as opposed to a modern gas or electric heater (but also have central heating), live in an old house with character and history, instead of some soulless modern monstrosity, etc, etc.

So what's wrong with cherry-picking the BEST (for *you*) of old and new, to create (for you) the BEST of BOTH worlds, rather than simply succumbing to everything that's new, just to be 'on trend'/up to date or whatever? It makes no sense whatsoever to me...

It's called using your OWN judgement criteria to form decisions, rather than being led by the system like a sheep!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

i suppose the price of housing is at bottom of it. Most now need 2 wages to have a chance of buying a house. it snowballs from there i think
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    We self scan in Tesco, as we prefer it, plus you know how much you are spending.
    That's fine, Robin, whatever works best for you, but for me it would be a pain in the arse and also go against the grain. As a paying customer, I consider that I've earned the right to be SERVED, not do the work that paid staff should be doing for me, as indeed it once was.

As you mention in the States, at one time here staff in supermarkets and shops also packed your bags for you, which is how it SHOULD be!

I'm rarely in so much of a hurry (or super-conscious about how much I'm spending) that I need some form of machine to facilitate that and save time. In fact, if it were easier to do, I'd rather not use supermarkets at all, and simply do all my shopping at privately owned individual establishments, as used to happen back in the day, thus at all times dealing with and being served by people, not fooking machines...

And that sort of lifestyle is still possible in many small towns and villages, certainly around here, but I'm sure also in Scotland, where there's simply no need to go near a supermarket. Llangollen is one such place here, around 30 mins drive from Wrexham.

See here: https://www.llangollen.org.uk/

Awesome pubs, fab restaurants, great delis/cafes, and a multitude of superb privately owned businesses, not to mention beautiful scenery! It's where we'd probably go if we were to move from Wrexham, and of course have all the facilities that Wrexham has to offer, only half an hour away, too!

If your lifestyle/finances can facilitate it, there's simply no need to live in some grey, soulless ghetto, devoid of any sense of humanness. Not saying you do, btw, but simply responding to what Macca said of 'welcome to the future'.

The future is also what YOU make of it, through YOUR own lifestyle choices!

Most small towns and villages, in nice areas, like Llangollen, have resisted pandering to modern ways of life, for DECADES, thus have escaped the 'rat race', and aren't about to change drastically anytime soon, as they're part of a thriving community.Therefore, their future won't necessarily be the same as what exists in big towns and cities...

I often hear the term, sometimes directed at me by Piggurs, of 'in the real world', but for me what he's referring to is the FALSE/plastic world, which the masses have simply chosen to inhabit! Although perhaps that choice has sadly, in many instances, been forced upon them... REAL life, however, exists in places like Llangollen, and there are 1000s of Llangollens all over the UK....

Therefore, folks, 'The good old days' still exist if you know where to look!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robin.

Things have changed quite a bit locally over the last few years, in Greenock, there are now no fruit and veg shops or delis but there is a decent butcher. In Gourock there are 2 small Co-ops and a butcher lots of coffee shops , not even a bank any more. As for fish, it’s basically the supermarkets although we usually stock up when we travel up Glasgow, https://www.thefishpeopleshop.co.uk/. What I would give for a decent local deli.

Although this place is only 3 miles away, and is really good.
    https://www.mccaskiebutcher.co.uk/?u...eid=cd75d8c51e

Marco, if you time have a look at their wine list, and let me know if there is something I should be giving a go.
    Last edited by rmcin626; 14-07-2021 at 15:30.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, but that's a whole other conversation: *why* does no-one any longer have TIME to themselves and are always rushing around like blue-arsed flies; what precisely has caused that?
    if you work and have children you basically have no free time to yourself except maybe a couple of hours in the evening after you've got them off to bed.

Not like in our day when we entertained ourselves and sorted out our own problems, the little darlings now demand and get full attention all of the time.

Anything that saves people time they are going to jump on it. People like you and me are the exception, no surprise that the world is not changing to service us.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Just been to top up the tank in the Brabster, and given what we were discussing recently about petrol stations, I thought I'd snap a couple of pics from the place I use locally (less than 5 mins drive from my door).. As you can see I could hardly move for the crowds!

Brabster at the front... A blissfully serene and relaxed experience, in all respects, including the friendly 'Hello, how are you today, sir?' I was greeted with by the lovely man in the shop, whilst he took the contactless payment and processed my reward points.

In and out in less than 3 mins, minus time for taking the pics, and now home for breakfast!

Marco.

P.S Note the lack of any 'pay at the pump' bollox
    You left the house just to top up and take some pics, showing how badly your local petrol station is doing, then drive back home? You're a strange one you... The place looks an opening scene from "Vanilla Sky"... Well you were itching for a reply
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    133.9 per litre locally, Tesco, Morrison’s, or there are a couple of BP places which are a couple of pence more expensive
    129.7p at my Asda yesterday. For diesel. Petrol was 2p cheaper.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Film? Strange time to be watching a film, mate

Anyway, hope you enjoyed it. Yeah, BP's always the dearest fuel. No idea why, but that's certainly been my experience. Texaco's not cheap either, especially the stuff I use, but as I hardly do any miles, especially now, price is a non-issue.

I put in just shy of £40, to top up the tank from just over half empty, and that'll do me for a least a month, often 6 weeks.

The station's bang in the middle of Wrexham town centre, and I've never seen it much busier, although I do go at off-peak times. However, if folks want to use supermarkets, and that keeps the station I use nice and quiet, then it suits me just fine!

I also like, and very much value, the 'human touch', and being SERVED by someone with a friendly and cheery disposition, which of course is non-existent when serving yourself at the pump. It just makes the experience so much nicer, don't you think?

Especially when the world today is gradually being stripped of many forms of niceness - and you can enjoy these simple pleasures when you don't have to run around like a headless chicken, lol

Marco.
    Does he come out and fill it for you? If not then he isn't serving you, he's just giving you a friendly smile while he takes yer money. OF course if he invites you to his barbeque that's different...

There used to be a little garage on the shore of Ullswater, with a big sign saying WE SERVE YOU. And they did. Shame it's gone now.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if my car was a performance one i'd likely use a fancier fuel, but toyota say bog standard stuff is all it needs. the injection system adapts to what its burning, temp humidity etc.
    The way it is with modern cars I think. Older tech might be a bit more fussy.

Bought a new (to us) car on Monday. Volvo S60. Has all the toys, including wintertime sweaty arse seats. And it's a D4 diesel, the pick of the bunch. Not a hairy chested 3L Audi like I was considering, but more than quick enough for us

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

Yes, but try answering some of the questions I posed!

Essentially, why do we just sit back, time and time again, and allow ourselves to simply 'bend' into accepting the 'progress' that we've given, when deep down we know full well that it's not REAL progress, but just something that's more convenient?

Marco.
    I expect anyone bothered by this vote with their feet.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread