+ Reply to Thread
Page 373 of 611 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423473 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i'd say 1500 to 2000rpm is about right.. a run is better tho all round, as ticking over speed isnt great for the car . brakes, springs etc need a workout too. at tickover if youve got a few things on like heater etc you may not actually charge anything
    MMMmmm. So I shouldn't rev up our remaining petrol car to 3-4k for a few minutes then?

I've read that just starting a car is likely to take quite a chunk out of the battery, so not worth pussying around. Ideally it's best not to start a car if you're not going to drive it. However recently cars are often idle for a while, so things can go wrong. In normal times a petrol car would probably be driven at least once a week, and should go for at least 4 miles or so to keep the battery charged - ideally more and at reasonably high speeds - which also gets oil around the engine, stops the carbon from building up, and the driving probably gets rust off the brakes and loosens the suspension, and frees up the sterring a bit etc. AFAIK it's not a good idea to leave a car idle for a long while.

Clearly these are not normal times, and with our EVs we don't tend to drive the petrol Peugeot as much as we did before, so that's not so good for the poor thing. So sometimes I do rev it up to 3000 rpm on the drive for 2 or 3 minutes just to check that it's working OK.

Is that a bad idea?
    Dave

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    MMMmmm. So I shouldn't rev up our remaining petrol car to 3-4k for a few minutes then?
    No, it's utterly pointless at those revs.
    If voltage was dependant on revs and the alternator wasn't regulated, you'd boil your battery dry in 5 minutes.
    Leave it on tickover or better just go for a drive.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    No, it's utterly pointless at those revs.
    If voltage was dependant on revs and the alternator wasn't regulated, you'd boil your battery dry in 5 minutes.
    Leave it on tickover or better just go for a drive.
    Interesting. Would 2k be any good?

Going for a drive hasn't been so easy over the last year - Covid restrictions, weather etc. Not so bad now though.
    I never thought that tickover idling would do much good. If not actually going out, how long should idling be done to not run the battery down - given that starting the engine takes something out of it? Maybe it's pointless starting a car engine anyway if it's not going to go on a run, but I have noticed problems if the engine isn't fired up at least once in a while.
    Dave

I'm Robin.

My Q5 is Audi today, for MOT and a couple of warranty checks, will be 3 years old in a couple of weeks only just passed 10,000 miles
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Adam.

Default Car (or bike) Chat!

There’s little point in running an engine at idle - many car handbooks specifically tell you not to do this to warm it up, for example. Sitting there revving it is even more pointless because, as above, the alternator’s electrical output is regulated. More revs don’t mean more/faster charging!

You’re far better off buying an intelligent battery charger and using it every couple of weeks to top the battery up and then driving the car once a month or so.

Some friends of ours are having some fairly major house renovation done and their house and driveway has been a building site for the last 6 months. As a result, one of their cars has been out of the way on our driveway since last September. Since then, I’ve stuck it on the charger for a day every two to three weeks and take it out for a half hour’s drive once every month to six weeks. It’s absolutely fine.
    Last edited by Beobloke; 18-03-2021 at 12:54.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

warming the car up:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

gave car another run and filled tank uop £20 for half a tank plus. that will last for a while
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    There’s little point in running an engine at idle - many car handbooks specifically tell you not to do this to warm it up, for example. Sitting there revving it is even more pointless because, as above, the alternator’s electrical output is regulated. More revs don’t mean more/faster charging!

You’re far better off buying an intelligent battery charger and using it every couple of weeks to top the battery up and then driving the car once a month or so.
    The correct advice, thus is what folks should follow. Your first paragraph also outlines the indisputable facts! So only daftees sit and rev car engines in a futile attempt to 'charge the battery'...

End of subject. No more to be said on the matter

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

with the hybrid they suggest running car at idle with everything switched on.. this forces engine to run and charge
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    with the hybrid they suggest running car at idle with everything switched on.. this forces engine to run and charge
    Yup, I've lost count of how many times I've mentioned that.

+ Reply to Thread