+ Reply to Thread
Page 332 of 611 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342382432 ... LastLast
Results 3,311 to 3,320 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    I’m a fan of Mr Musk and Tesla, so Dave if you can wait, i’d like to think it’d be worth it.
    I say that from knowing some guys who have them and simply adore the things. Also having driven one (model S) i found it a wondrous thing.
    Here is a page about the fire "scare" - https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...19-4?r=US&IR=T

The most scary thing about the stories is if people can't get out of their cars. I watched once while one of my friend's car burnt to a cinder, but he had plenty of time to get out.

I agree that for the most part Teslas catching fire isn't a major concern - should be low probability.

I may still go with the Tesla, but I do find it really worrying that Tesla seems totally unable to provide any sensible customer service. I did like the model I drove, but on the other hand there are other cars which from a practical point of view might be "as good" - just perhaps not anything like so much "fun" (whatever that is ...). A Toyota hybrid would have a much greater effective range, and a plug-in hybrid would have the benefits of EVs for daily short distances, but still be able to do longer trips. I don't particularly want to have a Tesla for taking stuff to the dump, and it's not going to be much use for moving other large stuff around. I'd probably need something like an old VW camper for moving large stuff - or a Volvo estate. I'm not sure if I could take junk to the dump in a camper van - many tips don't allow that now, but a Volvo estate would do. We had one of those once too - that was brilliant - you could shift a lot of stuff in that. It also had an amazing turning circle.

I'm not sure how much a decent but oldish Volvo would cost now - wouldn't have to be new - merely serviceable.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

What about a Subaru Forester?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What about a Subaru Forester?
    Why?

Are older ones cheap? Maybe they would have capacity for large items. I'm just wondering how many boxes that would tick.

I checked up some oldish Volvos, and some not so old - prices between £4k and £20k. Several are diesels, and mpg figures are rather low, so fuel costs would be high. An old/cheap one could serve for heavy duty dump trips etc. though.
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

I'd sooner have a mid eighties to mid nineties Merc estate. They are great cars.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Why?

Are older ones cheap? Maybe they would have capacity for large items. I'm just wondering how many boxes that would tick.
    Don't know about prices, just seems like a good alternative to a Volvo estate. Reliable, and good build quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't know about prices, just seems like a good alternative to a Volvo estate. Reliable, and good build quality.
    quite fast some of them, although the road tax will be high and running costs too. i fancied one myself years ago but got put off by the costs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Here is a page about the fire "scare" - https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...19-4?r=US&IR=T

The most scary thing about the stories is if people can't get out of their cars. I watched once while one of my friend's car burnt to a cinder, but he had plenty of time to get out.

I agree that for the most part Teslas catching fire isn't a major concern - should be low probability.

I may still go with the Tesla, but I do find it really worrying that Tesla seems totally unable to provide any sensible customer service. I did like the model I drove, but on the other hand there are other cars which from a practical point of view might be "as good" - just perhaps not anything like so much "fun" (whatever that is ...). A Toyota hybrid would have a much greater effective range, and a plug-in hybrid would have the benefits of EVs for daily short distances, but still be able to do longer trips. I don't particularly want to have a Tesla for taking stuff to the dump, and it's not going to be much use for moving other large stuff around. I'd probably need something like an old VW camper for moving large stuff - or a Volvo estate. I'm not sure if I could take junk to the dump in a camper van - many tips don't allow that now, but a Volvo estate would do. We had one of those once too - that was brilliant - you could shift a lot of stuff in that. It also had an amazing turning circle.

I'm not sure how much a decent but oldish Volvo would cost now - wouldn't have to be new - merely serviceable.
    You could always buy a good trailer for going to the tip - best of both worlds
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You could always buy a good trailer for going to the tip - best of both worlds
    I have thought about that. Presumably would be easy to fit a tow to a Peugeot 207cc for that purpose. I don't fancy doing that to a Tesla.

Do most tips allow trailers? I think the ones up here do, but there are restrictions in some parts of the world. I wonder if having a trailer puts one into a different category of dump user - forms to fill in, money to pay, etc.
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Why?

I checked up some oldish Volvos, and some not so old - prices between £4k and £20k. Several are diesels, and mpg figures are rather low, so fuel costs would be high. An old/cheap one could serve for heavy duty dump trips etc. though.
    Yes older ones can be had cheaply. Very solid cars, but maybe not the cheapest to run as said.

Agree an older Merc could be a good shout f you get one that’s been looked after.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

I have thought about that. Presumably would be easy to fit a tow to a Peugeot 207cc for that purpose. I don't fancy doing that to a Tesla.

Do most tips allow trailers? I think the ones up here do, but there are restrictions in some parts of the world. I wonder if having a trailer puts one into a different category of dump user - forms to fill in, money to pay, etc.
    check with your councl as to state of play re rubbish dropoffs. at ours you can get a pass if you prove its just for your own stuff and not a business etc. that is with vans but may be trailers too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread