+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 609 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339379429 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Jon.

The ZX10R was collected by its new owner (and a thoroughly decent guy he was) this evening and if I’m honest i was a little upset at seeing her go, but having 3 bikes is really more than i need.
    I did make the fatal mistake of having a quick ride before she was collected and wondered why the fuck i was selling it.
    I’ll wake up in the morning regretting it i’m sure
    One final pic just before she went

But, on the plus side i will now order new pistons, rings and power valves for the RGV250 and get that hooligan back on the road, and get my mini bike garage fully equipped

I'm Steve.

Them bikes are lucky to have such a doting father
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    The ZX10R was collected by its new owner (and a thoroughly decent guy he was) this evening and if I’m honest i was a little upset at seeing her go, but having 3 bikes is really more than i need.
    I did make the fatal mistake of having a quick ride before she was collected and wondered why the fuck i was selling it.
    I’ll wake up in the morning regretting it i’m sure
    One final pic just before she went

But, on the plus side i will now order new pistons, rings and power valves for the RGV250 and get that hooligan back on the road, and get my mini bike garage fully equipped
    Serious bikes ! really like the black stealthy beaut'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Been given a government 'bounce back' loan, which I guess is to help kick-start the economy. Next to no interest, and pay nothing for the first 12 months. I had been thinking about changing my van (the next one will almost certainly be my last, as unfortunately the current one is unlikely to see me out)

But looking out there, I can't find anything that appeals. everything that isn't beyond my 9K budget has mileage not much less than what I have already. Might just go for an ex-AA transit Custom (my current vehicle is ex-AA) Only come in that mad yellow though, and I'm not a big fan of tailgates. Decisions, decisions...

And folk selling vans "VAT free" - what's that all about? Just enables them to inflate the price and still be competitive with VAT-rated ones as far as I can see I'm not VAT registered, so all that shit means nothing to me.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Jon.

AR can turned up today and i’m certainly not disappointed
    I’ll let the pics show the quality..

The customer service was a fucking serious let down though

I'm Steve.

Very funky, but I'm not sure about the orange bit - what's it made of? It looks like it would melt! (Perfect colour match for the KTM though). What was the problem with customer services? Did you have to deal with them direct, or do they have stockists?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Dave.

Now have a Renault Zoe to play with - since mrs d wanted one. It has features I don't like, though maybe they can be tamed. Turns out that range isn't a problem - or hasn't been so far, but it can be a bit worrying to see the available range area diminish, particularly going up mountains. However, the range area may expand again on coming down mountains, and also with a slightly less heavy right foot. It's certainly possible to do a round trip of 150 miles with little difficulty, and no top up charges, though would/could be a pain for long distance (200+ mile trips).

The theory is that most people drive a lot less than 100 miles per day, so charging not a problem most of the time. Also longer trips can be handled by the charger infrastructure, but that assumes several things - (a) chargers are available en route (b) chargers are actually working (c) chargers are compatible with the EV and (d) other cars, such as Teslas, haven't already nabbed the fastest charger in the charging unit, and lastly (e) some plonker with a petrol or diesel car hasn't parked in the EV charging place.

ECO mode feels like it's stopping the accelerator pedal from going down - OK - it's trying to keep energy consumption down - but it does feel hard work sometimes. Kick ECO mode out, and then acceleration is pretty good.

I'm not sure that all of the features are only issues for EV cars. One which I also find tricky is the lane guidance feature, designed to keep one driving in the middle of each lane. The car seems to detect the white lines on the road. Veering off to the right or left gives a rather unpleasant twitchy feel to the steering wheel. This could be just haptic/tactile feedback, and not reflect anything really going on with the car - but it feels rather like a car (without such features) about to hit an ice patch. I suspect that in fact it's OK - but it's unpleasant enough not to risk it. The problem with this is that going into bends it doesn't seem to take into account that one might not want to take a line which it thinks is central. The feature can be turned off, but then why have it at all?

Regarding the accelerator pedal feel, this can apparently be controlled to give more or less degrees of responsiveness - but I've not tried that yet.

The ride is fairly hard, and it's not the quietest car on the road inside - there's a fair bit of road noise. However, at slow speeds it's very quiet, and makes a strange noise deliberately to warn pedestrians, but it's probably not a noise they're familiar with, so doesn't necessarily help too much.

One issue is reversing - particularly in car parks. There is a parking brake. Pressing the accelerator will release the brake, but this can give a very fast reverse, which seems dangerous. The same issue is there in forward driving, but that's less of a problem as normally the driver can see well in front.
    There are two "solutions" for reversing. One is to blip the accelerator pedal, which at least doesn't give a hard and continuous reverse. The other, which is better - but takes a few days to discover - is to deliberately turn off the parking brake (a bit fiddly, and needs to be done carefully) and keep the foot brake on. Then applying a small amount of power and releasing the foot brake gives much better control. This is then much like other cars I've driven. This kind of feature may not only be an issue for EVs - but EVs have a lot of power and acceleration at slow speeds, so perhaps manufacturers should think about how to avoid this one. Some people will almost certainly be injured or killed because of accidents due to this. Rear visibility using the camera is really rather good, and the sensors are good too, but ultimately drivers will need to be really aware of the surroundings for some manoeuvres.

I think the weight of the batteries does affect the handling, though how much I'm not sure. The suspension can be dynamically controlled and modified electronically it appears, from the manual, so maybe it's possible to get a smoother ride, or a more secure one, by tweaking that.

There is fairly new research which seems to show that overall EVs really are good re CO2 and other emissions, and overall energy use, so despite any issues which drivers may be concerned about, if one is going to have and use a car at all, these are significantly better for the environment and planet than fossil fuel cars. One concern (myth) is that EVs simply shift pollution to power stations, but it seems that even in countries like China this isn't true. In the EU and UK where more power stations are now using more environmentally friendly technology, the move to EVs - while requiring new capacity and infrastructure - does seem really to be a good thing.
    Dave

I'm Justin.

Stopped of at the Porsche garage a couple of days ago. The showroom was devoid of cars there must be supply problems. But not of Taycans it would seem. There was a blue Taycan in the showroom but I didn't go in.

The grey one is a Turbo S, even though it is 100% electric.

My sister has one coming in black in October. IMHO it looks a bit shit in black in the flesh. I like the white one as it looks like the Mission E concept which I really liked. Grey looks good, too, in the flesh.

So new they still have factory shipping plastic on some of them.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Now have a Renault Zoe to play with - since mrs d wanted one. It has features I don't like, though maybe they can be tamed. Turns out that range isn't a problem - or hasn't been so far, but it can be a bit worrying to see the available range area diminish, particularly going up mountains. However, the range area may expand again on coming down mountains, and also with a slightly less heavy right foot. It's certainly possible to do a round trip of 150 miles with little difficulty, and no top up charges, though would/could be a pain for long distance (200+ mile trips).

The theory is that most people drive a lot less than 100 miles per day, so charging not a problem most of the time. Also longer trips can be handled by the charger infrastructure, but that assumes several things - (a) chargers are available en route (b) chargers are actually working (c) chargers are compatible with the EV and (d) other cars, such as Teslas, haven't already nabbed the fastest charger in the charging unit, and lastly (e) some plonker with a petrol or diesel car hasn't parked in the EV charging place.

ECO mode feels like it's stopping the accelerator pedal from going down - OK - it's trying to keep energy consumption down - but it does feel hard work sometimes. Kick ECO mode out, and then acceleration is pretty good.

I'm not sure that all of the features are only issues for EV cars. One which I also find tricky is the lane guidance feature, designed to keep one driving in the middle of each lane. The car seems to detect the white lines on the road. Veering off to the right or left gives a rather unpleasant twitchy feel to the steering wheel. This could be just haptic/tactile feedback, and not reflect anything really going on with the car - but it feels rather like a car (without such features) about to hit an ice patch. I suspect that in fact it's OK - but it's unpleasant enough not to risk it. The problem with this is that going into bends it doesn't seem to take into account that one might not want to take a line which it thinks is central. The feature can be turned off, but then why have it at all?

Regarding the accelerator pedal feel, this can apparently be controlled to give more or less degrees of responsiveness - but I've not tried that yet.

The ride is fairly hard, and it's not the quietest car on the road inside - there's a fair bit of road noise. However, at slow speeds it's very quiet, and makes a strange noise deliberately to warn pedestrians, but it's probably not a noise they're familiar with, so doesn't necessarily help too much.

One issue is reversing - particularly in car parks. There is a parking brake. Pressing the accelerator will release the brake, but this can give a very fast reverse, which seems dangerous. The same issue is there in forward driving, but that's less of a problem as normally the driver can see well in front.
    There are two "solutions" for reversing. One is to blip the accelerator pedal, which at least doesn't give a hard and continuous reverse. The other, which is better - but takes a few days to discover - is to deliberately turn off the parking brake (a bit fiddly, and needs to be done carefully) and keep the foot brake on. Then applying a small amount of power and releasing the foot brake gives much better control. This is then much like other cars I've driven. This kind of feature may not only be an issue for EVs - but EVs have a lot of power and acceleration at slow speeds, so perhaps manufacturers should think about how to avoid this one. Some people will almost certainly be injured or killed because of accidents due to this. Rear visibility using the camera is really rather good, and the sensors are good too, but ultimately drivers will need to be really aware of the surroundings for some manoeuvres.

I think the weight of the batteries does affect the handling, though how much I'm not sure. The suspension can be dynamically controlled and modified electronically it appears, from the manual, so maybe it's possible to get a smoother ride, or a more secure one, by tweaking that.

There is fairly new research which seems to show that overall EVs really are good re CO2 and other emissions, and overall energy use, so despite any issues which drivers may be concerned about, if one is going to have and use a car at all, these are significantly better for the environment and planet than fossil fuel cars. One concern (myth) is that EVs simply shift pollution to power stations, but it seems that even in countries like China this isn't true. In the EU and UK where more power stations are now using more environmentally friendly technology, the move to EVs - while requiring new capacity and infrastructure - does seem really to be a good thing.
    My hybrid has a park brake but it comes off when put in reverse automatically. My lane gadget has settings on how it reacts, but if you flick the indicator if crossing line it ignores the line.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    My hybrid has a park brake but it comes off when put in reverse automatically. My lane gadget has settings on how it reacts, but if you flick the indicator if crossing line it ignores the line.
    Your hybrid is, I think similar to my now deceased car, which I mourn almost daily It is possible to drive slowly and carefully in reverse with such a car. The problem with EVs is the high torque from rest, and the Renault appears to function as if it is using some of that to release the brake - hence the suggestion to "blip" the power, but actually making sure the brake is released manually avoids this issue. The brake does indeed come off if power is applied, but it ought to be smooth and gradual. Go on - you can tell me I'm not driving it right!
    Last edited by dave2010; 15-08-2020 at 14:54.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread