+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 611 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, same here, and they also existed (to some extent) in the 70s. Awesome things with real character. Now the trains themselves are cold and soulless/devoid of personality, although undoubtedly fast. What I dislike about travelling by boat (unless its in somewhere really interesting), is that much like sky, one bit of water looks the same as another - and that's all you can see as a passenger when you look out the window, or up on the deck.

Whereas in a car or train, you can enjoy a constantly changing landscape passing you by, and also the beautiful scenery! And in a car, you can stop and look round quaint little towns and villages.

In terms of trains, I plan on taking Del on the Orient Express for our 30th wedding anniversary, as that's always massively appealed to both of us, on various levels

Marco.

Great minds and all that.......Been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember Marco, sincerely hope to fulfil it with the Mrs one day, has always appealed to me
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Geoff.

Will there be a murder 'victim' though?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

In terms of trains, I plan on taking Del on the Orient Express for our 30th wedding anniversary, as that's always massively appealed to both of us, on various levels

Marco.[/QUOTE]

You only been married 30 years? I bet it seems longer to del

I forgot - we did go to South of France differently one year. We flew to Girona, got a train to Carcasonne, bus to Beziers then another bus to cap d'Agde. The flight was shit, but I really enjoyed the train. Although I found that my stomach doesn't like me facing backwards

My best train trip was going from Glasgow up to Inverness in the late seventies. Leaving Queen Street at 10pm and travelling overnight. Proper old fashioned carriages with compartments you could close the curtains on. We shared the carriage with a young couple who lit up some excellent Moroccan. You could smoke on trains in those days. They also had with them a kitten which they kept losing, despite the compartment only being about 2 square metres. Trains will never again be like that
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You only been married 30 years? I bet it seems longer to del
    Haha - not quite; it's our 29th anniversary this year! How long so far has Anita put up with you?

My best train trip was going from Glasgow up to Inverness in the late seventies. Leaving Queen Street at 10pm and travelling overnight. Proper old fashioned carriages with compartments you could close the curtains on. We shared the carriage with a young couple who lit up some excellent Moroccan. You could smoke on trains in those days.
    You'd have been able to see bugger all, though! I like looking out the window at some nice scenery, so hate night trains, as it's boring, unless you like staring at your own reflection in the window... Especially on modern trains, as the strip lights are way too bright! Not very relaxing at all...

I'm with you on the old carriages, though. However, as a non-smoker, the thought of inhaling stale 'fag smoke' (even if the variety of such was a little more 'interesting' than usual) for hours on end makes me gag!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Haha - not quite; it's our 29th this year! How long so far has Anita put up with you?

You'd have been able to see bugger all, though! I like looking out the window at some nice scenery, so hate night trains, as it's boring, unless you like staring at your own reflection in the window...

I'm with you on the old carriages, though. However, as a non-smoker, the thought of inhaling stale 'fag smoke' (even if the variety of such was a little more 'interesting' than usual) for hours on end makes me gag!

Marco.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to put up with that now, but things were different in those days. You would have been known as "that posh kid that complains about everything, so tell him we've all got the shits and the trip is off" Not darkness all the time, started coming lighter about 2.30am iirc. And I had my little Prinzsound cassette player for entertainment Spent a lot on batteries though.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to put up with that now, but things were different in those days. You would have been known as "that posh kid that complains about everything, so tell him we've all got the shits and the trip is off"
    Lol - if you're talking about when I was a kid, then things, smoking aside, as I was never into that, would've been different.

Not darkness all the time, started coming lighter about 2.30am iirc. And I had my little Prinzsound cassette player for entertainment Spent a lot on batteries though.
    Yes, but I'd have been asleep then!

Maybe not though if you had choons on.......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Great minds and all that.......Been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember Marco, sincerely hope to fulfil it with the Mrs one day, has always appealed to me
    Yeah, Rob. We both love old-fashioned steam trains, and rail travel *done right*, when it was THE way to travel, classy and luxurious. Plus we're big fans of the whole 1920s/art deco thing. In that respect, one ship I'd love to have sailed on (if it had managed not to sink) would've been the Titanic!

The plushness and attention to detail in the 1st class sections, and just the gorgeous design of it and sheer quality of it as a whole, was just a joy to behold

'Cruise ships' today are just so pretentious and vulgar in comparison - along with many of the folk who go on them!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

Marco,

You had better start saving.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/11/27/titanic-ii/

In two years time, you can sail on the “Titanic”.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Lol - if you're talking about when I was a kid, then things, smoking aside, as I was never into that, would've been different.

Yes, but I'd have been asleep then!

Maybe not though if you had choons on.......

Marco.
    Music was Kraftwerk and Temptations in heavy rotation, so you probably would have nodded off anyway. So I would then have recorded your snoring with my Prinzsound's "condenser" microphone...

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Marco,

You had better start saving.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/11/27/titanic-ii/

In two years time, you can sail on the “Titanic”.
    Interesting, Kevin! We'll see what the Chinese replica is like in due course, but I can't see it being too close to the original

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread