+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 611 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    All that power through the front wheels will give you some interesting tramlining and torque steer.
    I have been driving standard and souped up Saab cars for about 18 years now, and once you have a LSD fitted, it drives perfectly OK.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I have been driving standard and souped up Saab cars for about 18 years now, and once you have a LSD fitted, it drives perfectly OK.
    Good to know!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Talking of fast estate cars as we were, does anyone remember the bonkers TWR Volvo T5 BTCC cars from the early 90's?

Mental... That must handle about as well as a shopping trolley!!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Mental... That must handle about as well as a shopping trolley!!
    Actually, the old 850 was a fine-handling car - Volvo finally 'got it' where decent driving dynamics were concerned and with a decent FWD chassis (as opposed to the live-axle horse carts of before) it was a damn nice motor. 'Car' magazine stated at the time something along the lines of 'we finally have a Volvo that's great to drive'.

The estate was used as it had better aero qualities than the saloon version, and of course showed us that the Swedes had a sense of humour.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Just don't get suckered into taking on a Saab 9-5 estate diesel. Some of them have been tuned to 400BHP, but look as docile as a turtle.

If you are having your car tuned up, consider adding LSD (limited slip differential), bigger brakes, and wider tires. I had to do all of that after I had my engine tuned up.
    I've always loved Saabs. The sporty ones were rather underrated, IMO, with most folk opting instead for Beemers, Mercs and Audis. They were built like tanks and had fantastic engines. The turbos were superb! Sadly, however, a lot of the older ones will have lost a few of their 'gee-gees' with age (which happens with all cars), so the 400bhp you speak of will probably now be rather less...

Noted on the LSD, etc. The Merc will be getting the full BRABUS treatment (as applicable to my specific car), so along with engine tuning, all the other 'bits' that need to go along with it

For those of you unfamiliar with what Brabus tuning is about, here are a couple of vids to whet your appetite:

One day I will own that car (Rocket 800).... I just LURVE the total insanity of it!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Actually, the old 850 was a fine-handling car - Volvo finally 'got it' where decent driving dynamics were concerned and with a decent FWD chassis (as opposed to the live-axle horse carts of before) it was a damn nice motor. 'Car' magazine stated at the time something along the lines of 'we finally have a Volvo that's great to drive'.

The estate was used as it had better aero qualities than the saloon version, and of course showed us that the Swedes had a sense of humour.
    Hehehehe, indeed... Fair enough on the handling thing. I just looks a little, shall we say, 'ungainly'!

Marco.
    Main System

MartinT Guest

Whereas AMGs are a gentleman's performance vehicle, Brabus are mad loon rocketships. I've seen a few in Germany. Subtle they aren't.

Lol - you're probably not wrong, but I just love the sheer insanity of the volcanic power they produce. My own car, of course, won't be anywhere near as 'brutal' (in every sense), as what is shown in the above vids!

Therefore, it will still retain the essence of a being a 'gentleman's performance vehicle/long-distance cruiser', but with a feral animal lurking underneath the hood...

Marco.
    Main System

synsei Guest

A mate of mine owns a Smart Roadster which has been breathed on by Brabus. Tiny engine plus big turbo equals lots of laggy fun, it's a bit of a handful in the wet though
    Last edited by synsei; 26-11-2013 at 18:50.

I'm Shane.

My favourite Brabus:

not forgetting when they put two Smart engines together to make a V6:
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

+ Reply to Thread