+ Reply to Thread
Page 548 of 611 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558598 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    lots of potential but still doesn't get around the problem of generating enough electrical power to supply all the chargers in the first place.
    I used to think the same but the national grid has said it has enough spare off peak power to charge EVs. I think this is based on the fact that there is lots of unused potential green energy from wind that has to be regularly turned off or it will overload the grid. They are also building vast Terrawatt storage facilities so that the energy can be saved for use at peak times.

Also there are interesting investigations into used car batteries as hive storage to power the grid. This is being tested I believe. Basically when your car is at home and plugged up then if there is spare grid supply then the car will automatically charge up, but if there is a grid demand power from the car battery will feed the grid along with millions of others, remember most vehicles sit parked up 95% of there life. Before you shout but if the need the car and the grids taken the charge I’m stuffed, that won’t happen, you will program when you need the car and the planned mileage needed, the software will also learn your car usage patterns and ensure your power needs for the car are met, if it’s outside the norm you will be able to override it, a bit like your central heating programming.

The benefit is that as an EV driver you will get very, very cheap electric for the car, and also it is like to lower electricity prices generally. I know it sounds odd but it’s likely to happen.

By the way Tesla batteries are good for 300-500k miles of charges, the new LFP batteries 1 million miles, and they have just made a press release stating they have developed and tested a battery that will last for at least 100 years before it would need replacing/re-cycling. So batteries are not likely to be the limiting factor of the above hive storage plans.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Throwing water on a Lithium fire is really not the right thing to do, what we’re they thinking?throwing it in a hole a covering it with dry sand to starve of o2 should have worked.
    lith ion doesnt need o2 to burn tho.. cooling it is only answer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I used to think the same but the national grid has said it has enough spare off peak power to charge EVs. I think this is based on the fact that there is lots of unused potential green energy from wind that has to be regularly turned off or it will overload the grid. They are also building vast Terrawatt storage facilities so that the energy can be saved for use at peak times.

Also there are interesting investigations into used car batteries as hive storage to power the grid. This is being tested I believe. Basically when your car is at home and plugged up then if there is spare grid supply then the car will automatically charge up, but if there is a grid demand power from the car battery will feed the grid along with millions of others, remember most vehicles sit parked up 95% of there life. Before you shout but if the need the car and the grids taken the charge I’m stuffed, that won’t happen, you will program when you need the car and the planned mileage needed, the software will also learn your car usage patterns and ensure your power needs for the car are met, if it’s outside the norm you will be able to override it, a bit like your central heating programming.

The benefit is that as an EV driver you will get very, very cheap electric for the car, and also it is like to lower electricity prices generally. I know it sounds odd but it’s likely to happen.

By the way Tesla batteries are good for 300-500k miles of charges, the new LFP batteries 1 million miles, and they have just made a press release stating they have developed and tested a battery that will last for at least 100 years before it would need replacing/re-cycling. So batteries are not likely to be the limiting factor of the above hive storage plans.
    I think the reason the wind farms were in danger of overloading the grid was high wind speeds, not because they are making too much leccy? The Germans have the same issue

http://www.epaw.org/echoes.php?lang=...nter%20confirm.

Storage is the answer I agree but I don't know how far that has come on, storing electricity isn't straightforward.

I'm generally optimistic that the problems can be overcome in time, my point is that they're not there yet, not by a long shot.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

i think in past the orkneys had to turn some of theirs off as they had more power than they could handle, but think it was solved. they have lots of turbines up there.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Speaking of which, perhaps anyone with more than a quarter acre of land will be compelled to accommodate a wind turbine or solar panels. I would vote for solar - last week I camped about 100 metres from a wind turbine, and it made a right old racket.
    My parents garden was about a third of an acre in size. They (and I) would definitely have been a NIMBY in that regard!
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think the reason the wind farms were in danger of overloading the grid was high wind speeds, not because they are making too much leccy? The Germans have the same issue

http://www.epaw.org/echoes.php?lang=...nter%20confirm.

Storage is the answer I agree but I don't know how far that has come on, storing electricity isn't straightforward.

I'm generally optimistic that the problems can be overcome in time, my point is that they're not there yet, not by a long shot.
    Nope, in off peak periods about 12 hours at least of the day wind turbines often have to be turned off to stop overload, nothing to do with high winds now, it can be in excessive winds but turbines their gearboxes and control systems have advanced somewhat in recent years. There is a massive terra battery store up your way and more are being built.

By the way wind is the most efficient form of electricity generation presently.

I have been looking at a small helix sail driven turbine, only 1.3m tall, it will start to generate power with wind speed as low as 8mph and will continue to do so in a light breeze, it outputs 1-4kwh, so over 24 hours at 1kwh it would easily be enough to run our entire house. They are £1200 plus fitting, we are considering as a additional feed to our batteries in the winter primarily.

Generating green power means you need to get it and store any unused as much as possible saving it up when low solar or wind. Ultimately there will be periods when neither is generating or is low so at these times Power from nuclear power stations will be needed to step in, if we are to get rid of gas driven power stations.

Electric-Hydro is also a possibility, we just have not invested in it in the uk. Generate power from it and store some to pump water back up to the top reservoir in a closed loop system, this is implemented in lots of places around the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Grant.

Nope, in off peak periods about 12 hours at least of the day wind turbines often have to be turned off to stop overload, nothing to do with high winds now, it can be in excessive winds but turbines their gearboxes and control systems have advanced somewhat in recent years. There is a massive terra battery store up your way and more are being built.

By the way wind is the most efficient form of electricity generation presently.

I have been looking at a small helix sail driven turbine, only 1.3m tall, it will start to generate power with wind speed as low as 8mph and will continue to do so in a light breeze, it outputs 1-4kwh, so over 24 hours at 1kwh it would easily be enough to run our entire house. They are £1200 plus fitting, we are considering as a additional feed to our batteries in the winter primarily.

Generating green power means you need to get it and store any unused as much as possible saving it up when low solar or wind. Ultimately there will be periods when neither is generating or is low so at these times Power from nuclear power stations will be needed to step in, if we are to get rid of gas driven power stations.

Electric-Hydro is also a possibility, we just have not invested in it in the uk. Generate power from it and store some to pump water back up to the top reservoir in a closed loop system, this is implemented in lots of places around the world.

quite a few up here. Only few big ones, but lots of small and tiny ones. little ones for hamlets and small for villages etc. probaby the best form in highlands as they can be hidden pretty well
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    My parents garden was about a third of an acre in size. They (and I) would definitely have been a NIMBY in that regard!
    The helix wind turbine previously mentioned has a noise footprint of 40db at 1m at full throttle, that’s back ground noise levels.

Large sweep wind turbine blades will create more noise, the same reason a airplane prop does, it creates vortexes and turburlances as the air hits it and creates pressure waves. A helix design if done properly is more efficient but hard to build in large scale.

I'm Grant.

The helix wind turbine previously mentioned has a noise footprint of 40db at 1m at full throttle, that’s back ground noise levels.

Large sweep wind turbine blades will create more noise, the same reason a airplane prop does, it creates vortexes and turburlances as the air hits it and creates pressure waves. A helix design if done properly is more efficient but hard to build in large scale.

i like those. quite stylish
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    linguistic hydrogen? Does that mean hydrogen can speak protium, deuterium, and tritium?
    Liquid hydrogen (linguistic )

+ Reply to Thread