+ Reply to Thread
Page 495 of 611 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505545595 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    IT WAS A JOKE Calm down dear, as Michael Winner was wont to say.
    Lol - then next time, make the joke more obvious!

Though on the subject of butch 'male macho' nonsense, some may see disregarding soulless evs because they don't have a chipped 320 bhp into a roaring sports quad exhaust competing with an ear-bleedingly loud car stereo as such
    Haha, nah, that's got nothing to do with why I enjoy it. It's about having FUN, but then I'm happy to concede everyone's idea of such is different. However, some folk (staid, po-faced, boring bassas) simply don't know how - and never have done!

Didn't expect that I'd have to explain myself in order to not offend any 'new man' sensibilities that may be out there
    No offence taken whatsoever. I don't care who or what anyone is, as long as they don't try to impose those standards on me, if I disagree with them, or worse, present them as 'the norm'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And sat-nav, if blindly used as the only way of getting about, is simply another form of tech that makes your brain go soft!

Marco.
    It's the same with with car audio, another form of tech making your brain go soft. It was so much better when folk played their guitars while driving

Edit: this too was a joke. No musicians were harmed in the making of this post
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No that's not what I was saying at all. It's so hard to explain humour. Yes it is silly not to ask for directions if lost but in general men don't want to. Even though we know it's daft not to want to. The instinct is still not to do it.
    I fully get what you're saying mate, and have been saying all along, but the last bit isn't me. I have no such instinct.

My instinct instead is to do *whatever* I think will best help the immediate situation, and if that means asking someone for directions (as I have done on numerous occasions in the past, and benefited from accordingly), so be it!

However, the key lies in your use above of "in general". Before, Piggurs and you were guilty of generalising and lumping other men and me in with something that we might not agree with. That's what I objected to. Also, stubborn male ego/pride is something that I've thankfully never been afflicted with.

If genuinely needed, I don't consider asking for any form of help as an affront to my manhood. A 'real man' is happy to recognise and accept his limitations.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

It's the same with with car audio, another form of tech making your brain go soft. It was so much better when folk played their guitars while driving
    Lol, well my point is that becoming overly reliant on ANY form of tech, instead of using your brain to perform that task instead, makes it go soft. Talking of 'problematic softness' lol, It's exactly the same with your wee willy-winky...

As they say: 'if you don't use it, you lose it'!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Lol, well my point is that becoming overly reliant on ANY form of tech, instead of using your brain to perform that task instead, makes it go soft. It's exactly the same with your troubles with your wee willy-winky...

As they say: 'if you don't use it, you lose it'!

Marco.
    That's the last time I tell you anything in confidence Actually that was ANOTHER JOKE... I don't mind who knows, because I'm a real man... how about you, are you willing to be a real man and admit you have a tiny knob, or are you going to deny it with some butch male macho nonsense

Oh, and my explanation about how my sat nav helps me with traffic jams ...

So to recap: (a) tiny knob, or (b) butch macho male, possibly with tiny knob. Which is it?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

That's the last time I tell you anything in confidence Actually that was ANOTHER JOKE... I don't mind who knows, because I'm a real man... how about you, are you willing to be a real man and admit you have a tiny knob, or are you going to deny it with some butch male macho nonsense
    Lol - fortunately I don't have a tiny knob. What would you like, shweety, some pictures as proof?

Oh, and my explanation about how my sat nav helps me with traffic jams ...
    Sorry, in isolation that statement makes no sense to me whatsoever...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Lol - fortunately I don't have a tiny knob. What would you like, shweety, some pictures as proof?

Sorry, in isolation that statement makes no sense to me whatsoever...

Marco.
    So you chose option (b) then, I thought you would

As for the bit in bold - earlier you asked me to talk through how my sat nav helped me avoid motorway jams, which I duly did. I was wondering if there might be a reply from you any time soon... honestly, your memory

T'other system:

A/V:

So you chose option (b) then, I thought you would
    Ha - very good. I'll let you have a wee chat then with Del

As for the bit in bold - earlier you asked me to talk through how my sat nav helped me avoid motorway jams, which I duly did. I was wondering if there might be a reply from you any time soon... honestly, your memory...
    Soz, must've missed it with all the toing and froing. I'll have a look now

Marco.
    Main System

Ok, on to this one:

Driving down the motorway, and before we hit traffic jam, sat nav tells us with its voice that there is a delay of ---minutes up ahead, and suggests an alternative route. We follow the route guidance voice, simple as that. Sometimes we are informed of these delays before we've even got off the drive So you can either risk it, follow its recommended alternative route, or sack it off and go out later. How good is that?
    [/B]
    Excellent, and I accept that's very useful, but it won't help if something's just happened (say an accident up ahead), causing the traffic to stop, before the sat-nav detects it, and you're stuck there.

At that point, when the traffic starts moving again (but is still backed up), it would be useful to know if leaving at the next junction (which depending on where you are could be as little as 100 yards away) would lead you to your destination, arguably as quickly, without being delayed in the jam - and that's where a map comes in handy

Regardless though, the main point I'm making is that it pays to have an 'old school' backup to forms of modern technology, just in case it should prove useful, and where possible I always try to do that. I mean, say you've broken down and are stranded in the middle of nowhere with a flat battery. what use would your sat-nav be at telling you where you were or how to get home?

My motto? Never become TOO reliant on tech!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Excellent, and I accept that's very useful, but it won't help if something's just happened (say an accident up ahead), causing the traffic to stop, before the sat-nav detects it, and you're stuck there.

At that point, when the traffic starts moving again (but is still backed up), it would be useful to know if leaving at the next junction (which depending on where you are could be as little as 100 yards away) would lead you to your destination, arguably as quickly, without being delayed by the jam - and that's where a map comes in handy

Regardless though, the main point I'm making is that it pays to have an 'old school' backup to forms of modern technology, just in case it should prove useful, and where possible I always try to do that. I mean, say you've broken down and are stranded in the middle of nowhere with a flat battery. what use would your sat-nav be at telling you where you were or how to get home?

My motto? Never become TOO reliant on tech!

Marco.
    Of course there will always be the chance of an incident being such short notice that sat navs don't keep up, but probably rare. As you say, solely relying on them is unwise, and in the scenario you describe we would do as you said earlier. As would any travellers with more than one brain cell (about 20% of today's motorists)

And just so you know, we also never do any long journeys (especially abroad) without a giant-size road atlas. They are especially good for showing possible places of interest en route. I love maps and can spend ages reading them just for something to do

In the last scenario you describe (break down) I would be calling the AA (other breakdown services are available). I think they might have technology to pinpoint you location through your phone.

I keep meaning to look into this "What 3 Words" thing. That looks like it could be handy. Have you come across this?

Btw, to save you from having to check, none of the above is a joke It is all my honest opinion.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread