+ Reply to Thread
Page 483 of 502 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485493 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 5013

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

  1. #4821
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 85,046
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    well off buttons as in being able to switch off certain "aids" in car. mostly you can if you wish, certainly in mine switch most off, or set sensitivity etc (for invasive aids) like steering you back into lane etc. but one day they may remove this; in fact they probably will(fascist bassas)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S -

    **I’ve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**

    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"

    It was the weakest practical joke since Cardinal Wolsey got his nob out at Hampton Court and stood at the end of the passage pretending to be a door!

    “I like my whisky old and my women young.” – "Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak!"

    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  2. #4822
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,089
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    well off buttons as in being able to switch off certain "aids" in car. mostly you can if you wish, certainly in mine switch most off, or set sensitivity etc (for invasive aids) like steering you back into lane etc. but one day they may remove this; in fact they probably will(fascist bassas)
    Exactly my point mate, which is why I refuse to entertain it. If there was no other option, I'd rather cycle, or walk!!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.


    Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

    Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!


  3. #4823
    Join Date: May 2012

    Location: Toulouse, France

    Posts: 5,698
    I'm Kevin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That for me sounds like an utter nightmare, totally dangerous, and would result in the car being sold on the spot! It's essentially the car driving YOU, not vice versa, as it should be, and a classic overuse of technology that not only encourages laziness, but the solving of a problem that doesn't really exist.
    Switching it off is easy, just like switching of a classic cruise control. Put your foot on the brake, or turn it off at the switch.
    It is awesome in traffic jams. You set the distance, and the car does the rest.

    Just leave it off on country roads…
    Kevin

    Too busy enjoying the music....

    European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

  4. #4824
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,089
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Switching it off may be easy now mate, but not if that facility is ever removed, for reasons discussed. How often are you in traffic jams where you live? I thought you were fairly rural, no? I'm rarely in traffic jams or on motorways, so hardly ever use cruise control.

    Anyway, I'm pleased that you're enjoying your car, Kevin, as that's what it's all about, and long may it provide you with enjoyment, but electric cars replete with all manner of 'driver aids' aren't for me. I'm not even a fan of automatic gearboxes. If I'd had the choice, I'd have chosen a manual one!

    In a car, I like to do as much of the driving as possible (including parking and reversing) and be totally 'hands on', as otherwise it simply encourages laziness and erodes your inherent skills and judgement (as they say, if you don't use it, you lose it), and takes all the fun out of the experience.

    These days, I don't drive many miles, so when I do, I want to be *actively* in control and immersed in the experience

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.


    Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

    Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!


  5. #4825
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Hampshire, UK

    Posts: 3,505
    I'm Adam.

    Default

    Reminds me of my first experience of adaptive cruise control a couple of years back.

    I went to Germany for the day to see a work supplier, who were about an hour from Frankfurt Airport, and my hire car was a brand new Ford Kuga. Quite a nice thing actually and I pottered off to the supplier and then was returning in the evening during rush hour. I used the cruise control as it was pretty much a straight stretch of autobahn - not especially busy but there were quite a few lorries about - remember this fact!

    Anyway, I get close to the airport, doing 75mph on the inside lane when I spotted a chap hammering up the middle lane in my rear view mirror, with his indicator on. There was a junction coming up ahead of me and I correctly surmised that he would be coming past me and then cutting across to take the exit, which he duly did. Now, yes, it was a bit of a twattish manoeuvre but he was going plenty fast, there was no traffic in front of me and as he passed across the front of me there was plenty of room and I was not forced to brake or disengage the cruise control. All good.

    Unfortunately, the car didn't see it this way as, unbeknown to me, it had adaptive cruise control which was activated. Hence as the chap came across my lane, the car 'saw' him and slammed on the brakes. And I don't mean applied them gently - it slammed them on. I damn near shat myself and came close to smacking my face on the steering wheel. Now, maybe the software though it was doing a good thing but i have one big question - had there been one of those many lorries that I mentioned earlier up my chuff, would it have known? (luckily, there wasn't). If so, what would it have done? Was the software programmed to know that, in this case, braking to avoid a collision could have actually caused one by letting god knows how many tons of truck rear-end me? If so, what would it have done?

    Needless to say, after I retrieved my tonsils from the dashboard and opened the window to let the smell out, i went into the car's menus and found the off switch for this feature. It took me two pints at the airport before my hands stopped shaking, though!

    Like Marco, I hate stuff like this. When I'm driving, I want to be in charge. Not some random software.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

  6. #4826
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,089
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Like Marco, I hate stuff like this. When I'm driving, I want to be in charge. Not some random software.
    In a nutshell, mate... Good story, and you make a very valid point. No software yet invented can supercede the judgement of a competent human!

    Trouble is, there are less and less of those around now, due to folk driving cars laden with 'aids', and forgetting how to *actually* drive!!

    What shocks and depresses me in equal measure though, is how happy the masses are to adopt this stuff so readily, instead of questioning its genuine efficacy and safety, and where all this tech might lead to!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.


    Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

    Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!


  7. #4827
    Join Date: May 2012

    Location: Toulouse, France

    Posts: 5,698
    I'm Kevin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Switching it off may be easy now mate, but not if that facility is ever removed, for reasons discussed. How often are you in traffic jams where you live? I thought you were fairly rural, no? I'm rarely in traffic jams or on motorways, so hardly ever use cruise control.

    Anyway, I'm pleased that you're enjoying your car, Kevin, as that's what it's all about, and long may it provide you with enjoyment, but electric cars replete with all manner of 'driver aids' aren't for me. I'm not even a fan of automatic gearboxes. If I'd had the choice, I'd have chosen a manual one!

    In a car, I like to do as much of the driving as possible (including parking and reversing) and be totally 'hands on', as otherwise it simply encourages laziness and erodes your inherent skills and judgement (as they say, if you don't use it, you lose it), and takes all the fun out of the experience.

    These days, I don't drive many miles, so when I do, I want to be *actively* in control and immersed in the experience

    Marco.
    Small traffic jams every working day. It was awesome for a while, but now everything is getting back to normal, less people are working from home.

    The important thing is to play with these gadgets, and decide when it is best to use them, based on knowing how they perform.
    I am not sure “enjoying” is the right word for the new car. If I want enjoyment, I take the 7 out…. (It is like going from one extreme to the other though. No creature comforts. No driver aids. Hopefully I manage to stay in control, but is is not hard if I stick to the speed limits).

    Happy is probably best, as it is comfortable, quiet, economic and has a little bit of poke when you want it.
    Kevin

    Too busy enjoying the music....

    European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

  8. #4828
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 9,577
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That for me sounds like an utter nightmare, totally dangerous, and would result in the car being sold on the spot! It's essentially the car driving YOU, not vice versa, as it should be, and a classic overuse of technology that not only encourages laziness, but the solving of a problem that doesn't really exist.

    Moreover, you can clearly see where we're heading in future, and a move to where the 'driver' just sits there, does nothing while the car takes over, and therefore simply becomes another passenger

    Ask yourself this: *who* could ultimately control the car's computer remotely, and therefore where YOU go?? The technology to do that already exists. You think that won't happen, if they're allowed to get away with it? THINK again....

    Heaven help us all!

    Marco.
    I am thinking about it, and thinking that I will hopefully be well retired before that becomes a reality. But I do feel sorry for the younger ones (not you Marco, you are also old ) Imagine young Wayne phoning in sick so he can take his bird Sharon for a shopping trip to Primark, and the bloody car takes him to work instead. Forcing Sharon to get the bus home. Nightmare...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

    T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black. Phono: Yaqin MS-22B CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Headphone/pre: Myryad Z40; Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated. Audion Silver Night 300b stereo is enjoying a holiday
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

    T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

    A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

    Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

  9. #4829
    Join Date: Feb 2010

    Location: Moved to frozen north, beyond Inverness

    Posts: 2,061
    I'm Dave.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Reminds me of my first experience of adaptive cruise control a couple of years back.

    I went to Germany for the day to see a work supplier, who were about an hour from Frankfurt Airport, and my hire car was a brand new Ford Kuga. Quite a nice thing actually and I pottered off to the supplier and then was returning in the evening during rush hour. I used the cruise control as it was pretty much a straight stretch of autobahn - not especially busy but there were quite a few lorries about - remember this fact!

    Anyway, I get close to the airport, doing 75mph on the inside lane when I spotted a chap hammering up the middle lane in my rear view mirror, with his indicator on. There was a junction coming up ahead of me and I correctly surmised that he would be coming past me and then cutting across to take the exit, which he duly did. Now, yes, it was a bit of a twattish manoeuvre but he was going plenty fast, there was no traffic in front of me and as he passed across the front of me there was plenty of room and I was not forced to brake or disengage the cruise control. All good.

    Unfortunately, the car didn't see it this way as, unbeknown to me, it had adaptive cruise control which was activated. Hence as the chap came across my lane, the car 'saw' him and slammed on the brakes. And I don't mean applied them gently - it slammed them on. I damn near shat myself and came close to smacking my face on the steering wheel. Now, maybe the software though it was doing a good thing but i have one big question - had there been one of those many lorries that I mentioned earlier up my chuff, would it have known? (luckily, there wasn't). If so, what would it have done? Was the software programmed to know that, in this case, braking to avoid a collision could have actually caused one by letting god knows how many tons of truck rear-end me? If so, what would it have done?

    Needless to say, after I retrieved my tonsils from the dashboard and opened the window to let the smell out, i went into the car's menus and found the off switch for this feature. It took me two pints at the airport before my hands stopped shaking, though!

    Like Marco, I hate stuff like this. When I'm driving, I want to be in charge. Not some random software.
    Adaptive cruise control can be very good - if it works! With my Tesla model 3 it takes courage to set the "follow the car in front" feature, as in my opinion the distance between the vehicles in front and my own is not sufficient at high speed. If the car in front stops suddenly, or someone cuts in - as in your example - I just don't know if it'll work. There's an additional problem - if it's set to be on, then the driver might not have enough time to react if the automatic system doesn't work. Another problem is that there's no full driver control - it's either on or not. It will respond to the accelerator, but brakes kill it immediately. Suppose that one is prepared to trust the cruise control, but for some reason you put the brakes on - perhaps for extra safety. Then the cruise control - with whatever "safety features" it has is inactivated, and the driver has to remember that.

    Apart from that the cruise control in my Tesla is hopelessly unreliable. Often it doesn't operate, either because of software issues, or because it thinks that the cameras aren't working. That last situation can happen if the cameras get really dirty, but they don't normally. It's sometimes possible to do a software reset, but that doesn't help if the car is running at speed.

    Sadly there are features of the car which I really like - but Elon Musk and his outfit have to do a lot better than this for safe driving on UK roads. I could write a 5000 page essay on what's wrong with Tesla cars. The customer service is appalling, Many of the people are nice, but they operate in silos, and often haven't a clue about real issues, or in some cases about the technology. Many of their service staff don't actually drive EVs, so haven't any idea of the significant problems.
    Dave

  10. #4830
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: The Black Country

    Posts: 5,832
    I'm Alan.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Sadly there are features of the car which I really like - but Elon Musk and his outfit have to do a lot better than this for safe driving on UK roads. I could write a 5000 page essay on what's wrong with Tesla cars. The customer service is appalling, Many of the people are nice, but they operate in silos, and often haven't a clue about real issues, or in some cases about the technology. Many of their service staff don't actually drive EVs, so haven't any idea of the significant problems.
    That's put me off completely from owning a Tesla, not that I had considered it anyway.
    For the price they are you want top notch service included as standard, yes?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •