+ Reply to Thread
Page 339 of 609 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Steve.

I'm looking to replace my van in the coming weeks, and I've narrowed my choice down to a Mercedes Vito. Which in LWB form is big enough (just).They were recommended to me by a friend's brother who owns a garage. Reckons they'll run forever if looked after properly.

But researching them tells me they come either as a 2.1 litre Mercedes, or with a 1.6 Renault engine. Surely the Merc engine would be better? Anyone have any experience of these, or any words of caution?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    A hitherto unknown feature of some cars - such as EVs - like Tesla. Just found out that if one drives a Tesla, one's whereabouts and routes might be sent to others, so no sneaking off to see Glenda or Brenda for the afternoon! If that's your bag, make sure that nobody else who might be interested or concerned has a phone connected to the car.

Is this a feature of many new cars?
    Yes, I'm afraid that now if you use sat-nav, not only will 'they' know where you've been and where you are, they'll also be waiting for you when you arrive .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid that now if you use sat-nav, not only will 'they' know where you've been and where you are, they'll also be waiting for you when you arrive .
    Yeah but uf their sat nav is anything like yours, they will have crashed in a footpath somewhere
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think that the speed of the vehicles can also be tracked, so whether speed limits are broken (even by 1 mph — and is that accurate anyway?) can also be spotted remotely. I’m not convinced that all this technology stuff is needed or desirable.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'm looking to replace my van in the coming weeks, and I've narrowed my choice down to a Mercedes Vito. Which in LWB form is big enough (just).They were recommended to me by a friend's brother who owns a garage. Reckons they'll run forever if looked after properly.

But researching them tells me they come either as a 2.1 litre Mercedes, or with a 1.6 Renault engine. Surely the Merc engine would be better? Anyone have any experience of these, or any words of caution?
    I used to rent them and lease them and we never had problems with either. Only vans we did have issues with were LDV so avoid them and you should be fine. But you probably knew that.

That was 14 years ago so maybe things have changed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

Steve, the Renault engine is good, no worries there.
    One of our parts vans has one and I’ve serviced it several times, along with many many A, B and C class entry level Mercs that use Renault engines and have never seen a problem with any of them.
    As long as the previous owner has serviced it properly and changed the filters and fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, gearbox oil and diff oil) there is no reason to have concern.

I'm Steve.

Thanks for your inputs Martin and Jon, my only concern with the Renault-engined models was them possibly being a bit underpowered. I do a fair bit of motorway. The 111 may just do at a pinch.

I'm going to look at a 114 Blue Efficiency one tomorrow (I should mention I'm looking for a tidy used example). 46k miles for £10k plus VAT. I'm hoping that p/ex on my old Trannie will cover the VAT, but I'm not confident. A year ago it looked fine, then during the lockdown I built some very study planters down the side of the drive, which I've since reversed into. Twice. Mrs. P could have complimented me on building some very bomb-proof planters, but no, instead she says I'm not fit to have a nice van.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Jon.

You'll never know until you test drive one.
    I was working for a Toyota dealer when the Proace came out (similar engine) and it was a blast to drive, although I didn't drive one fully laden.
    That said, it seemed more than capable.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    You'll never know until you test drive one.
    I was working for a Toyota dealer when the Proace came out (similar engine) and it was a blast to drive, although I didn't drive one fully laden.
    That said, it seemed more than capable.
    I know very little about vans - but yesterday I had a conversation with a fitter who said he'd like a new van. To my surprise he said that it was usually the cost of fuel which was a determiner, as he claimed that the fuel (diesel) always cost more than the van over the vehicle's lifetime.

I don't think this is always true of cars, but maybe vans get a lot more mileage per year. FWIW I calculated the relative costs of fuel against the purchase price of my now deceased Toyota Prius, and the fuel cost did get close to the vehicle cost, but I don't think it surpassed it. That was over 12+ years.

In the conversation he also said that he thought that some electric vehicles would have a future, because the fuel cost would effectively be lower - though other issues such as range would still be important, and he was hoping he might be able to buy one (van) in a few years time.
    Dave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I think that the speed of the vehicles can also be tracked, so whether speed limits are broken (even by 1 mph — and is that accurate anyway?) can also be spotted remotely. I’m not convinced that all this technology stuff is needed or desirable.
    My car tells me if a local speed limit is being exceeded!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread