+ Reply to Thread
Page 336 of 611 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346386436 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Geoff.

Things went downhill when they moved away from split screens!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    I was prepping this EQC ready for its new owner and found the engine was pinking a little (you’ll only understand that term if you’re old) and for the life of me i can’t find the dizzy cap to adjust the points..

It's just under the Floggle Doggle dooferator at the top right, can't you see them?

I'm Andy.

Thoughts on the best place to sell a car?
    Looking to shift mine on and not sure what is best (or worst)

Cheers
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Dave.

I was prepping this EQC ready for its new owner and found the engine was pinking a little (you’ll only understand that term if you’re old) and for the life of me i can’t find the dizzy cap to adjust the points..

Like it or not ladies, full electric is coming and i for one am looking forward to seeing how far the tech will take us
    Points. Mmmmm. I remember them.

One fairly big possible snag with EVs is if they run out of steam on a so-called smart motorway they just stop dead, and block the lane, and it becomes hazardous dealing with the outcome. The chances of getting to one of the refuge areas which would work with a petrol or diesel car are rather low, I'm told.

Mind you, I never did think that smart motorways were particularly clever.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Think these motorways are dangerous
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Like it or not ladies, full electric is coming and i for one am looking forward to seeing how far the tech will take us
    Right now about 240 miles I think, hopefully this will improve greatly. I saw a TV programme about electric cars the other day, an interesting point was made regarding smart motorways and the danger of electric cars running out of juice on them. Is it true they cannot be towed? Having to load them onto a truck would present untold safety problems
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It's just under the Floggle Doggle dooferator at the top right, can't you see them?
    Ah this must be the 2020 model. Before that, the Vag Denominator used to be located there.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Points. Mmmmm. I remember them.

One fairly big possible snag with EVs is if they run out of steam on a so-called smart motorway they just stop dead, and block the lane, and it becomes hazardous dealing with the outcome. The chances of getting to one of the refuge areas which would work with a petrol or diesel car are rather low, I'm told.

Mind you, I never did think that smart motorways were particularly clever.
    Sorry Dave, just seen that you raised the same point

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Dave.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Sorry Dave, just seen that you raised the same point
    No probs - I think we must have watched the same programme. I'm not sure whether EVs can be towed, or whether the brakes can be unlocked for long enough to load one on to a trailer. Perhaps also there will be new types of bteakdown trucks - complete with a generator or very large battery pack, which can do at least a small recharge in situ - sufficient to drive the car off the motorway.

I calculated whether there is a real problem with the time taken to charge an EV. My simple analysis suggested that for most people there isn't an issue - that is people doing less than 150 mile round trip commute, or going on days out. There is perhaps a significant time saving in not having to drive to petrol stations, and spend perhaps 5-10 minutes filling up.

On the other hand long journeys may be more difficult, so might take longer, Suppose someone drives a long way once a month - say Edinburgh to London. That would probably wipe out any time advantages due to home charging or other patterns of behaviour. Ideally the en route charging time should overlap with activities, such as going for a pee or having a coffiee. Over a year I think there is a time saving for people who don't do very long journeys frequently.

For long journeys cars need to have a long range and fast charging capability, and there needs to be more and better charging infrastructure in place.

People who drive long distances regularly (one workman we met recently who came to install some electrical equipment was doing 1000 miles per week) might find EVs more problematic.

We have also encountered one person who was desperate to charge her car up just a little bit in order to get home. Seems something went wrong with the charging the night before - maybe the wire wasn't connected properly, and some of the charging points she tried to access during the day weren't working.

EVs aren't going to "save the planet" - but if cars are needed at all they will be better re energy and climate change issues. The advantages in terms of pollution reduction and noise pollution are considerable, but they are still cars. There can still be traffic jams and gridlock, and pointless unnecessary journeys, and roads like the M25 will still be madness if people continue to use them as they have done over the last decade or more. Eventually the UK might have to ration or charge for road use to force people to think whether they need to drive on any particular day, or at any specific time. Dynamic pricing may play a part too.
    Dave

I'm Steve.

As things stand, the national grid copes with people switching on their kettles in the morning, but how will it go on when everyone wants to plug in their cars upon getting home?

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread