+ Reply to Thread
Page 306 of 609 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316356406 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Better still, Bazza, take that old jalopy to the skip, leave it there, and treat yourself to that Jag you've always wanted!

Life's too short to deprive yourself of nice things that make you happy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Haha - just had the AA man out this morning to replace the battery. It was down to 8V, nothing would work!

Had to call them out a couple of months ago, for a jump start. The 'health' of the battery was checked and pronounced fine. Last used the car about 10 days ago and it started up immediately, but today - no joy. The battery was a little over 4 years old so needed replacing.

I do try to let the car idle for about 15 minutes or so, every few days - but I can forget. The shops are only 15 minutes walk away and it seems unnecessary to use the car for such short distances.
    You could buy a smart charger and connect it up for 3 or 4 hrs every week if you don’t use the car regularly.

Will pay for itself by increasing battery life and the car should be ready to go when you need it which should also help your AA no claims discount come renewal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-742...ttery&sr=8-13/

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I love the look of "steampunk" items, but never seen a steampunk custom bike before - this is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion.

(More pictures and write up HERE.)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Never heard the term "steampunk" before, but I really like that. And a trusty old CB750 engine in it.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    You could buy a smart charger and connect it up for 3 or 4 hrs every week if you don’t use the car regularly.

Will pay for itself by increasing battery life and the car should be ready to go when you need it which should also help your AA no claims discount come renewal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-742...ttery&sr=8-13/
    Indeed, but that precaution might not always work. I've just spent days trying to kick my Prius back into life. I may now be about to win, but I'm not going to bet on it.

First attempts were simple enough - using various bits of old kit I have lying around, such as a jump start "spare" battery thing, and a small charger. Nothing worked - and I did find the relevant points to put crocodile clips on. Next thing was to buy a new charger from Amazon. Connected to the relevant points, and eventually showed something pathetic like 0.6V. The new charger is one of the fancy "clever" ones, so whereas the old "stupid" ones would perhaps have just belted 12V or more at the battery, this charger didn't engage at all. Next step was to consider using jump leads. Of course there wasn't the luxury of moving the "dead" car, but the Peugeot was nearby. Couldn't find the old jump leads I had, and in any case it was doubtful if they would extend far enough, so went back to Amazon for some 6 metre jump cables.

These arrived, and were duly attached. Still not eough oomph to get the car going. Being a hybrid vehicle, it tries to start first on the power battery, but in order to do that the engine management system has to be working. Not enough power for that, I figured. The one good thing was that this enabled me to unlock the rear hatch door, which had been closed. The other doors were already open - very odd. Now I could take everything out of the back compartment to get at where the battery - an AGM battery is located. I thought I might be able to take that out, but it's not great, so decided not to. Next step was to move the battery charger to the rear and try to charge the battery up there. Very slight improvement and after several hours the battery seemed to be holding some - but not a lot - of charge. Then closed the car up for the night, but leaving the boot lid open so I could get back into the battery compartment. This morning the battery had gone down again - this time down to 0.3V. So tried again today, and made hardly any progress for hours. Then thought - we need to kick this into some sort of life, so used the jump leads to connect to the other car for a while. As before this didn't enable the car to power up, but it must have done something, as when the charger was connected back to the batttery, it started to show a decent voltage - maybe 11V, but a very low charge. After not too long it was up to 13V - but still a lowish charge, but at least about 2+ bars on I think a 5 bar scale.

I'm now hoping it'll hold most of the charge overnight, and I'll top up the charge again to tomorrow, and hopefully the car will then start and I'll take it for quite a long run. It's a complete bummer, and the battery is less than a year old I think. I'm not sure I can complain to the tyre centre that sold it to me, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. If this fails I may have to call out the breakdown people, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that, as we're all trying to be good people, and maintain social distancing.

I really thought I'd beaten this battery issue - but I figure it was probably one of the door locks failing to close - yet again - which caused this problem. That's a major failing, IMO, of these Toyota models. I had managed to keep the car running throughout this lockdown period, and indeed had run it about 20 miles a few days before this complete failure, but "it" got me in the end. I hope the coronavirus doesn't do likewise!

Just checked on the charger suggested before - it's the one I got, though I paid less than £20 for it, and the price now seems to be around £25. It's gone up more than £5 in a week.
    Dave

I'm Jon.

As i'm looking after 3 oldies and keeping our community owned shop supplied, i've had the excuse to get these on the road a bit more..

Win, win all round

I'm Steve.

Now that's what you call fast food

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Had a good week at work last week, and this week's shaping up to be even better, so I've replaced my 'distant future' plan to take the "Pony Express" (FireBlade) to the shop for repairs, with a decision to get the ball rolling myself. So I've put an Ebay bid on a rear wheel/tyre, and ordered a paddock stand too. Then with a new battery fitted I can ride it to the shop for service/MOT etc. instead of it going in the back of the van.

That just leaves getting a new battery, indicator, crash bobbins, brake lever and the biggie that is the fairing lower. Need the bike to stay original, so no pattern parts. Even if it all takes till next spring.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Jon.

Good news!
    What MY blade have you got?

I'm Steve.

It's a 2003 RR3 954. In black/yellow. And before I dropped it was near mint. I've had it 13 years now, and it's the best bike I've ever owned by some margin. I hate going in the garage and seeing it there, it's been sulking in the corner since Sept 2018

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread