+ Reply to Thread
Page 266 of 609 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    It's all relative, compared to my alcohol intake you're a total pisshead

I've no regrets about what I did to my body, nor how much stuff my body did to the laydees' bodies. We can spend our younger years doing the 'right thing' for our bodies, only to have fate shit on us from a great height (although in most cases it won't). So I don't waste any of my time worrying about it. When I'm gone I'm gone, and you're welcome to say "I told you so", but I won't hear you, due to the deadness.
    Lol... Don't get me wrong, I still had a BALL when I was younger, and got up to all sorts, *but* I was lucky never to suffer any ill effects from it, even after falling off motorbikes numerous times, taking drugs, not just hash either, but magic mushrooms and speed (although never to excess) - I was no 'angel', I can tell you, especially when it came to girlies

But unlike most of my mates, I seemed to have the common sense to know how far to go before I was just being outright stupid, or liable to get caught and punished...

Piss head? Ha... So how much do you drink on average in a week? So far this week, I've had about 4 glasses of wine and a pint of beer, all with food, and that's unlikely to be added to until Sunday, and the beginning of a new week.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

I had a pint of Peroni with my birthday lunch on Sunday. Before that I had a can of lager and a glass of wine with me Christmas dinner. Before that I went on a company piss-up on the 17th, where I had about 6 pints and was sick as a dog the next day. Before that I really can't remember, probably the odd one while on holiday in September. So probably about 20 units in 4 months.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

If you can make a bit of money doing what you enjoy, that sounds like a good deal to me. Also I think going out and working gives him a sense of purpose, which can only be a good thing. I don't think work itself is what knackers you up, it's the stress. And he certainly ain't stressed...
    Yes, but a) life isn't all about money. If you've been at all successful in your earlier working life, then by the time you reach 81 your focus shouldn't be on *earning* money. It should be on SPENDING and ENJOYING it before it's too late! As you can't take it with you...

And b) as far as having a "sense of purpose" goes, there are many ways of achieving that, other than through work.

It could be using the time during your retirement to be a better parent/husband//grandfather (tick as appropriate), or just simply enjoying the fruits of your labour. For me (your dad aside, as he's obviously happy), that's a big part of the problem we have in this country: for too many people, their work is their LIFE, rather than simply a means to an end.

It's where for me the French (and also Italians) get it right.. You can travel through huge parts of France, through small towns and villages (ditto Italy), and often the shops are closed and places are deserted, as the locals are either on a 2-hour lunch break or having a 'siesta'!

They know when to work and when to chill and enjoy the good things in life (eating good food and spending TIME with their friends and loved ones), and so they're content working just enough to pay the bills and have reasonably comfortable but simple lives, and most importantly don't suffer from stress, as a result (glad your dad doesn't). They're laidback to the point of being horizontal - and good on them! That's more my world

Here in the UK? Well, I don't need to point out how different it is (and getting worse all the time), as we've been here many times before: shops open 24/7, due to the effects of mass consumerism, and one of the worst work/life balances in Europe..... A rat race populated by headless chickens? You can keep it!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I had a pint of Peroni with my birthday lunch on Sunday. Before that I had a can of lager and a glass of wine with me Christmas dinner. Before that I went on a company piss-up on the 17th, where I had about 6 pints and was sick as a dog the next day. Before that I really can't remember, probably the odd one while on holiday in September. So probably about 20 units in 4 months.
    Probably not too dissimilar then from me, although I'd have no desire for a company "piss up" or getting drunk... That's just for PISSHEADS!

Now a nice meal instead, with some wine and/or a couple of beers (max), that would be different

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... You've obviously got a strong constitution and are very resilient, so if you'd been more careful when you were younger and looked after yourself better/been less reckless, you'd have probably gone onto live until a ripe old age! You might still do

It's a true saying though, in that what you do (to your body) when you're young, pays you back when you're older... And that's one of the reasons I'm still in reasonable nick (no bad falls/injuries, when I was younger - always ate well, got plenty of exercise and didn't smoke, or drink to excess).

Marco.
    I very rarely drink now, but did before due to stress of looking after wife 24/7 (which is incredibly difficult over 20 years)and to an extent, habit too I guess.
    I gave up fags in about 2010/11. Still have a drag on a electric on occasion but it doesnt bother me if i lose it for a while tbh..I find the menthol helps my chest so mostly why...
    I try to get plenty sleep and eat as well as i can(which probably aint great tbh)
    Still, im currently still alive, as i can hear a pulse..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I never drink before 8am.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I very rarely drink now, but did before due to stress of looking after wife 24/7 (which is incredibly difficult over 20 years)and to an extent, habit too I guess.
    I gave up fags in about 2010/11. Stiff have a drag on a electric on occasion but it doesnt bother me if i lose it for a while tbh..I find the menthol helps my chest so mostly why...
    I try to get plenty sleep and eat as well as i can(which probably aint great tbh)
    Still, im currently still alive, as i can hear a pulse..
    Nice one, mate. Getting plenty of sleep and eating well (and may I say your diet has improved massively recently with cooking more fresh food, and you must be feeling the benefits of that accordingly) is *absolutely crucial* to enjoying good health - especially the sleep side of things, as a lack of sleep can have all sorts of nasty knock-on effects. That's why our resident insomniacs here worry me, despite their assurances that 'all is well'...

So keep up the good habits!

But yes, aside from things like genes and pot luck, in our older years we are essentially the 'victims' (or otherwise) of our past activities (emotionally, as well as physically), some of which may have been avoidable (you can't control the rest), and which is why if I had kids one of the most important lessons I'd be teaching them is to enjoy their youth, but to stay focussed on looking after their health/bodies as much as possible, as it will undoubtedly pay dividends in future years, regardless of what else mother nature throws at them.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Probably not too dissimilar then from me, although I'd have no desire for a company "piss up" or getting drunk... That's just for PISSHEADS!

Now a nice meal instead, with some wine and/or a couple of beers (max), that would be different
    That would probably equate to at least 5 units/week, so over several months (4 was mentioned) would be around 85 units.
    I don't think that's too bad - but it's easy to under estimate alcohol consumption.

I don't ever drink 6 pints in one go these days, though when we lived in Sweden we sometimes had 3 beers - which made the world "go round a bit" - as they were high alcohol content - around £7-9%. 2 beers with a meal was OK - 3 was pushing it. Not been on any sort of bender for 25 or more years.

I think it's a mistake to think that having food as well mitigates the health effects somewhat - though drinking alcohol with a meal is perhaps better than otherwise. Also having a beer or two or wine or spirits on a flight is really not good. I think flying makes the effects worse.

People who do a lot of exercise, or have physically demanding jobs, may be able to burn off the alcohol much better than those of us who are lazy slobs -. not that I'm one of those either.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I don't ever drink 6 pints in one go these days, though when we lived in Sweden we sometimes had 3 beers - which made the world "go round a bit" - as they were high alcohol content - around £7-9%. 2 beers with a meal was OK - 3 was pushing it. Not been on any sort of bender for 25 or more years.

I think it's a mistake to think that having food as well mitigates the health effects somewhat - though drinking alcohol with a meal is perhaps better than otherwise.

People who do a lot of exercise, or have physically demanding jobs, may be able to burn off the alcohol much better than those of us who are lazy slobs -. not that I'm one of those either.
    In terms of the bit in bold, me neither, simply because it wouldn't be enjoyable, as it would bag me up too much and leave less room for food!

Ultimately, I derive much more pleasure from eating GOOD food than drinking ANY form of alcohol. I could, at a push, give up drinking alcohol for good, but I could NEVER give up eating well, as for an Italian good food is LIFE itself!

I don't think that eating, whilst drinking, mitigates the effects of alcohol, in terms of it potentially damaging your health, but it certainly helps prevent you from getting drunk as quickly. Plus, when I have alcohol I always also drink some water with it (separately), in order not to become dehydrated, so when the table is set for lunch or dinner (and alcohol is on the agenda), there will always be a water glass present, as well as a wine or beer glass.

I also don't believe that drinking alcohol *in moderation* will have any long-term ill effects on their health for most people - certainly I haven't experienced any in the 50-years, or so, I've been drinking alcohol. For me, other than the odd cold beer during the summer (purely as a thirst quencher), alcohol is simply an accompaniment to food, so when I'm finished eating, I'm finished drinking. In between meals I mostly drink water. And I only have alcohol with the maximum of three meals a week, often just one, during Sunday lunch.

I've never been one for going to pubs and downing multiple pints of beer (or whatever) on an empty stomach, and just drinking for the sake of getting pissed or enjoying the 'hit' of the alcohol, or coming home from work and dinking cans of beer, spirits, or numerous glasses of wine. I've never felt the need for that, and neither have most members of my family.

Yes, if you have a physically demanding job then you'll probably be more able to burn off the calories, associated with heavy alcohol consumption, but NOT counteract the detrimental effect it's had on your liver!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Timothy.

I probably will be kicking off soon then, I get about 3-4 hours of reasonable(?) sleep each night, been this way for over 30 years. I rarely drink at all, and no drugs. Maybe that is the problem! Hmmmm.....
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread