+ Reply to Thread
Page 558 of 609 FirstFirst ... 58458508548556557558559560568608 ... LastLast
Results 5,571 to 5,580 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Kevin.

The model Y is 11.something centimetres wider than my current car, which I thought was wide enough, as it does not easily fit into parking spaces. The model Y is about 10cm shorter though.

The width would be interesting on some of the roads I drive.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

And the model X is 2cm wider still.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

cars are wide enough as is.. parking spaces and garages havent kept up tho. they still use the old car sizes(presumably as they want plenty spaces and dont care if your car gets damaged). if they were forced to pay for said damage due to too small slots, i bet ya they would got bigger in a month or so,.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Model 3 just fits through our 6’ 6” garage doors with 1/2” spare each side without door mirrors folded. I think the Y would be a challenge.

The autopilot on the M3, does reasonable auto steer but I would not rely on it, it does pretty well on motorways or dual carraigeways, and not bad on wide well marked A road, but need to be ready to take control at all times. The driver/safety assist aspect IMO is pretty good, but it can over-react at time if it suspects an up coming obstacle or vehicle getting too close, so you need to be prepared for sudden braking which you may need to override with throttle, this has improved over the last 6 months presumably due to several software updates.

All new modern cars have similar systems and all drivers should be cautious of following too close as they may find it challenging brake quickly enough, interestingly I have noticed most drivers keep back from the Tesla, it might be because the brake lights are often going on and off when the car is on cruise control, as soon as regen kicks in, not just braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

you can see the differences.. 20/30cm width alone
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Model 3 just fits through our 6’ 6” garage doors with 1/2” spare each side without door mirrors folded. I think the Y would be a challenge.

The autopilot on the M3, does reasonable auto steer but I would not rely on it, it does pretty well on motorways or dual carraigeways, and not bad on wide well marked A road, but need to be ready to take control at all times. The driver/safety assist aspect IMO is pretty good, but it can over-react at time if it suspects an up coming obstacle or vehicle getting too close, so you need to be prepared for sudden braking which you may need to override with throttle, this has improved over the last 6 months presumably due to several software updates.

All new modern cars have similar systems and all drivers should be cautious of following too close as they may find it challenging brake quickly enough, interestingly I have noticed most drivers keep back from the Tesla, it might be because the brake lights are often going on and off when the car is on cruise control, as soon as regen kicks in, not just braking.
    I was actually quite surprised at how chunky and clunky the Y model felt. Inside - having climbed up - it felt narrower than the 3 - but then I was told it was actually several inches wider. I think the perception is due to the height, and it feels more like the old VW camper van we used to drive - though apart from the fact that our VW van was really old and relatively underpowered I feel I enjoyed driving that more than trying to navigate round a town centre in the Tesla model Y. The one good thing was that on entry to car parks the ticket from the ticket machine was about the right height - well actually slightly higher - but didn't force me to get out or stretch a long way to reach the ticket. I'm sure the Y is a fast car, but the weight and handling just seemed nothing like as good as the 3.

Did you pay for the extra auto-drive "upgrade"? We didn't - bt the cruise control - when it works has similar features - some of which I don't trust. For example, the car is supposed to have auto braking if the vehicles in front are going slow or brake - but how on earth is one supposed to test that? OK - you could try this:

1. Drive as close as you dare to a vehicle in front.
    2. Turn the feature on - if not already.
    3. Watch and Wait!

An enhancement might then be:

4. Adjust the follower gap slowly to the minimum which the car will allow. That might be as little as one car length.

If the feature does work you might experience some hard braking if there's a sudden change in speed of the vehicle in front.
    If it doesn't work ...... Oooops - painful, dangerous and expensive maybe.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I was actually quite surprised at how chunky and clunky the Y model felt. Inside - having climbed up - it felt narrower than the 3 - but then I was told it was actually several inches wider. I think the perception is due to the height, and it feels more like the old VW camper van we used to drive - though apart from the fact that our VW van was really old and relatively underpowered I feel I enjoyed driving that more than trying to navigate round a town centre in the Tesla model Y. The one good thing was that on entry to car parks the ticket from the ticket machine was about the right height - well actually slightly higher - but didn't force me to get out or stretch a long way to reach the ticket. I'm sure the Y is a fast car, but the weight and handling just seemed nothing like as good as the 3.

Did you pay for the extra auto-drive "upgrade"? We didn't - bt the cruise control - when it works has similar features - some of which I don't trust. For example, the car is supposed to have auto braking if the vehicles in front are going slow or brake - but how on earth is one supposed to test that? OK - you could try this:

1. Drive as close as you dare to a vehicle in front.
    2. Turn the feature on - if not already.
    3. Watch and Wait!

An enhancement might then be:

4. Adjust the follower gap slowly to the minimum which the car will allow. That might be as little as one car length.

If the feature does work you might experience some hard braking if there's a sudden change in speed of the vehicle in front.
    If it doesn't work ...... Oooops - painful, dangerous and expensive maybe.
    cruise braking following a car in the kona does work but it lets you get too close before it reacts imo. the 3 dot distance(its furthest) isnt ver far when doing 50 or so. much closer than i'd have it when driving, and it lets distance drop a fair bit before it slams on brakes. as much as i do use the cruise, im not overly keen on letting do braking.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    The bottom line really is whether you want to insulate your self from rising power bills or not and whether spending out more on it is worthwhile in your view. A Tesla Powerwall is £9k, you can get 10-15Kwh batteries for around £6-10K and you may need to increase the number of Solar panels to balance it in terms of generation and storage.
    Thanks for the comprehensive post. We currently have an oil boiler - backup is electricity and a wood burner. The oil boiler is now getting old and perhaps difficult to maintain. I don't really want to replace it with another oil burner - but rather lose it altogether, plus reclaim the space taken up by the oil tank.

I am not by any means 100% convinced by Tesla as a company - some of their products are quite good - but customer service seems poor. In the US the solar side of the business seems to have attracted many complaints.

Re the batteries - I also get the feeling that one doesn't have to have a Tesla Powerwall in order to get a reasonable battery system - though perhaps getting good or even reasonable installers in the UK might be difficult as there are probably not many installers with good experience. There are web sites which suggest other battery suppliers are better in the USA - but that doesn't necessarily follow in the UK. Our house has underfloor heating, and hardly anyone knows how to fix it - though we now have found someone who did a complete update, and he assures us that there should be someone - somewhere in the UK - who will know how to attach an ASHP to it. The trouble there is that many of the installers are working with ideas which are years out of date - hardly the forefront of technology - and this really holds things back a lot. We have only just had a fully computerised system put in, but in our previous house the plumber we had for a while ran a mile any time I suggested putting in a computerised system, though he did suggest and install a pressurised water system - which was new to us at the time. I get the feeling that apart from trying to protect their own businesses, many just find it all too difficult, and can only cope with "what they know".
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    cruise braking following a car in the kona does work but it lets you get too close before it reacts imo. the 3 dot distance(its furthest) isnt ver far when doing 50 or so. much closer than i'd have it when driving, and it lets distance drop a fair bit before it slams on brakes. as much as i do use the cruise, im not overly keen on letting do braking.
    Sometimes, when the cruise control in the M3 is actually working, a message flashes up - something like "Cruise control will not brake". I guess that's a way of saying "You're on your own, mate!". This is OK if other drivers are driving fairly reasonably, but not much good for emergencies when one really wants to have all the [useful] help one can get. So for the most part I still drive as if I'm fully in control - and hence leave a very considerable distance between the vehicle and the ones I'm following.

There are some roads where the car's behaviour is a pain in cruise control mode. One is a steep downhill road with a pavement to the left and a 20 mph speed limit. There are often kids walking up the hill. If the car "sees" a kid on the pavement [sidwalk for any US readers] it might get jittery and slam the brakes on. Similarly if it spots a bus coming up the hill. Drivers behind probably don't like that - and I sympathise with them!
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Sometimes, when the cruise control in the M3 is actually working, a message flashes up - something like "Cruise control will not brake". I guess that's a way of saying "You're on your own, mate!". This is OK if other drivers are driving fairly reasonably, but not much good for emergencies when one really wants to have all the [useful] help one can get. So for the most part I still drive as if I'm fully in control - and hence leave a very considerable distance between the vehicle and the ones I'm following.

There are some roads where the car's behaviour is a pain in cruise control mode. One is a steep downhill road with a pavement to the left and a 20 mph speed limit. There are often kids walking up the hill. If the car "sees" a kid on the pavement [sidwalk for any US readers] it might get jittery and slam the brakes on. Similarly if it spots a bus coming up the hill. Drivers behind probably don't like that - and I sympathise with them!
    usually means your pressing throttle
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread