+ Reply to Thread
Page 493 of 611 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494495503543593 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure, but it's a bit different from what I meant.

What I meant was if you were stuck in a traffic jam on a motorway, crawling along and getting nowhere fast, and if someone who's with you had a map (and Del's sense of direction is good), then they can have a look to see if coming off at the next exit (when reached) would take you to where you needed to go, albeit via a detour, rather than sitting in the traffic jam.

How would you do that with a sat-lamb?.
    Simple - you just enter your destination and then select the ‘avoid motorways’ option! That’s exactly what we did recently when we went to Newcastle and found ourselves in a pickle on the A1M, it got us round it nicely.

As to memory, yep, I’d look up the route and remember it. I’ve even once or twice circumnavigated problems without any satnav or map simply by ‘following my nose’ and heading towards places that I know to be in roughly the right direction!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Simple - you just enter your destination and then select the ‘avoid motorways’ option!
    You're not getting my point, mate. What you've stated wouldn't solve the scenario I posed. Plus, sometimes there is no practical option but to use a motorway. Never mind

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    im sure there are a hundred blokes trying to prove they know best what road she needs

Aye, and we can guess where that 'road' would lead!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Real blokes don't EVER ask for directions. My balls are shrinking just thinking about it.
    Done it a million times at home and abroad, and doesn't bother me in the slightest! If you're lost or need help, you're lost or need help. There's no shame in that. I've helped countless people myself that way over the years.

Marco [clearly not a real bloke].
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Sure, but it's a bit different from what I meant.

What I meant was if you were stuck in a traffic jam on a motorway, crawling along and getting nowhere fast, and if someone who's with you had a map (and Del's sense of direction is good), then they can have a look to see if coming off at the next exit (when reached) would take you to where you needed to go, albeit via a detour, rather than sitting in the traffic jam.

How would you do that with a sat-nav?

Marco.
    Like what Adam says, our Volvo sat nav does exactly what you say Del does in the event of a jam. In fact it goes one better - we don't have to be stuck in a jam in the first place. Same with my phone's Google Maps, which is what I use in the van.

I resisted sat navs for a long time, using road atlases and A-Z instead, but sat navs have improved a lot. How do you go on it you have to go somewhere without Del? Do you pull over every so often to look at your map? Because you can't safely drive while gawping at your map. At least sat nav talks to you, leaving you free to watch the road

So unless you never go anywhere without Del, nor travel to unfamiliar places, a sat nav is a no-brainer really
    Last edited by Pigmy Pony; 21-10-2021 at 19:19.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Done it a million times at home and abroad, and doesn't bother me in the slightest! If you're lost or need help, you're lost or need help. There's no shame in that. I've helped countless people myself that way over the years.

Marco [clearly not a real bloke].
    There's no issue with giving directions, it's asking for them that's to be avoided at all costs.

Had to ask for directions in Harrogate one time. Asked two people and they both said 'Sorry I'm not from round here.' Then I saw the Town Crier in full regalia so I asked him. 'Sorry, I'm not from round here.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's no issue with giving directions, it's asking for them that's to be avoided at all costs.

Had to ask for directions in Harrogate one time. Asked two people and they both said 'Sorry I'm not from round here.' Then I saw the Town Crier in full regalia so I asked him. 'Sorry, I'm not from round here.'
    Lol... As I've said, I've asked for directions many times, and yes sometimes the folk you ask can't help, but often they can (at least in my experience). A big part of the problem now is that people are so insular, therefore rarely venture far from their own area, and so don't know where anywhere else is!

That, and the fact that becoming reliant on sat-navs, to get around, doesn't help them to learn either!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Marco [clearly a real bloke despite the flowery dresses].
    You've already stated that Del does all that, so 'a million times' may be a bit of an exaggeration

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Did he ring his bell and shout it really loudly? That would be embarrassing

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Like what Adam says, our Volvo sat nav does exactly what you say Del does in the event of a jam.
    Ok, but how? Could you explain the process?

But before you answer, scroll back and ensure you're replicating the *exact* scenario I proposed. I simply don't see how a tiny screen, no matter how well programmed or detailed, can possibly replicate a view of the immediate road networks as clearly as an open paper road map, which is more than ten times its size?

In fact it goes one better - we don't have to be stuck in a jam in the first place. Same with my phone's Google Maps, which is what I use in the van.
    Sometimes it just happens though, and you find yourself in one. You can't predict the unpredictable.

I resisted sat navs for a long time, using road atlases and A-Z instead, but sat navs have improved a lot. How do you go on it you have to go somewhere without Del? Do you pull over every so often to look at your map? Because you can't safely drive while gawping at your map. At least sat nav talks to you, leaving you free to watch the road
    I didn't resist sat-navs at all, as I've always considered them as a usual tool, if like anything else, used within its limitations. I like to drive nice cars, and pretty much every one I've owned, for goodness knows how long, has had a sat-nav.

In terms of the rest, as I've already said mate, I don't embark on any long journey these days, where I'm unsure of where I'm going, without Del. We tend to travel together in those circumstances, and it's usually when going abroad. Out with of that, sure, if I don't know the area, I'll happily use the sat-nav

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread