+ Reply to Thread
Page 502 of 609 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Early XJ6’’s are gorgeous looking cars, ruined in the 80’s with the big bumpers. I also love the early XJ-S - considered a “fail” at the time (you try replacing the E Type...) but I think the value will soar eventually on that era of Jags and Daimlers.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Early XJ6’’s are gorgeous looking cars, ruined in the 80’s with the big bumpers. I also love the early XJ-S - considered a “fail” at the time (you try replacing the E Type...) but I think the value will soar eventually on that era of Jags and Daimlers.
    Someone near me has an XJS. it's fairly beaten up though.

I like the XJC, that's a classy coupe. About £30K for a decent one now.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I like the XJC, that's a classy coupe.
    Yes I agree, pure class those. Sure fire investment if you’ve got a few quid going spare...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Grant.

Norway close to all electric already.
    It can be done.

https://electrek.co/2021/12/03/norwa...-people-think/
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It can be done.

Comments - 1. Norway is a small market. 2. Norway has a lot of hydro power infrastructure - one of a few countries which do. Another is New Zealand. 3. Norway is now a relatively rich country - so some users can afford the Tesla Model Y - which seems to have arrived there - or maybe the data in that article reflects orders, not deliveries.

In the UK the Tesla Model Y hasn't arrived yet AFAIK. It looks as though Tesla may have cut the base models from their catalogue, so now only the long range and performance Model 3s are offered, as well as the Model Ys. That puts the price of entry with EVs up considerably. Typically around £50k for a reasonable model, though older used models - such as the Nissan Leaf are much cheaper - but will for many people only be good for local journeys. We have met people with Leafs and other small or older cars who were doing long road trips, but it did seem to be a bit tricky in terms of planning for charges. It is feasible with cars like the Zoe - but harder than the Teslas or other long range EVs. Many people are happy with small cars for short distance usage close to home.

In the current weather I reckon that practically the Teslas are only going to have a range of 200 miles or less - and that's based on a complete charge from 0 to 100%.
    In the summer, with warmer weather, and less rain - so no need for full on lights, heating and windscreen wipers - the effective range is closer to 300 miles and fast chargers do deliver.

Mostly it seems best to operate those EVs in the range 40-80% charge. Recently went to Skye for a few days and was concerned about round trip, so charged up almost fully before leaving.
    Should have been able to do the return trip without a top up, but took the "granny" charger and was able to charge overnight at the destination. That was more convenient than having to charge at faster public chargers, which we have found are often not reliable and sometimes quite expensive. Fast chargers or destination chargers are generally better for road trips - and some venues provide "free" charging using the destination chargers - though of course the actual charges are rolled into other services - such as overnight accommodation or meals.

Stopping for a meal is likely to cost the venue something of the order of £2 or less - based on 2 hours at 7kW charging, so if 2-4 people arrive in an EV the venue needs to recoup around 50p per person in order to offer "free" charging. At the current time that seems like a worthwhile incentive. Perhaps some commercial organisations can get better electricity tariffs - though I'm not sure that they can. Domestic users can usually get rates down to 5p per kWh for off-peak periods during each 24 hour period - but I'm not sure about larger organisations - such as hotels. Do they get different electricity prices? Cheaper - or more expensive?
    Dave

I'm Steve.

All very well, but it won't work when every man and his dog has an ev, unless the powers-that-be pull their finger out re. charging stations. And you know the gov's incentive won't be making evs more affordable, but rather to price petrol car ownership beyond ordinary folks' means.

I can see a future where many of us are born, live, work and die in the same street, like in the olden days. It's not like we need out-of-town retail parks and supermarkets any more, most people get it delivered.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

What we need is a mobile charging service for folk who find their electric cars short of charge and are miles from a charging point. A fleet of big diesel generator trucks for instance that can do the job fast. I can see that catching on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

And these trucks can carry really long cables so that while charging this EV, they can also do that other broken down one quarter of a mile up the road.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It can be done.

2.8 million cars in Norway, on those figures they are selling 30,000 EVs a year - so Norway will be all electric in about 90 years. That's nothing like close to being all-electric.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    And these trucks can carry really long cables so that while charging this EV, they can also do that other broken down one quarter of a mile up the road.
    rac etc usually carry a generator, and think now also a battery pack as well. think it will give equ of about a gallon of fuel to get you to a charge point.(well maybe lol) Apparently breakdowns due to running out of charge are not as common as you'd think tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread