+ Reply to Thread
Page 338 of 609 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388438 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Geoff.

Those who want an electric car are free to buy one, although there is an ecological cost even with those. Personally, I'm happy to continue to burn fossil fuels, as modern cars are very clean. Folk making a fuss about 'the environment' would do better addressing the monstrous pollution churned out by shipping, commercial vehicles, aircraft and providing power to trains (that's not clean either).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Looks good. I ending buying a Speed Triple.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The problem is that although most people don't drive hundreds of miles each day they do occasionally and they want to keep the ability to do that without any added aggravation or delay. If you have more than one car then one could be an EV and the other an ICE or hybrid but how many people can afford that?
    Perhaps it depends on which part of the UK you live in. In the south east - where I was previously, every house, its owners and the dogs had cars, which is why even when the houses had drives and garages, there were still extra vehicles parked outside. So there are many people/families who already afford more than one car.

Most EVs are not currently suitable for very long journeys, which means that families which go on holidays in their car may find EVs a problem. However, as I've already suggested, many families do have more vehicles, and one could be an ICE specifically for such long joureys.

We noticed recently though that some roads do now seem busier than before lockdown - perhaps more people are driving and avoiding public transport - which is perfectly understandable.

Before lockdown many people would go on holiday by air (not in itself good ....) but wouldn't need a car to do long journeys.

The year in which EVs may have very clear advantages over other vehicles is expected to be 2025. Currently they are perceived as being expensive - and of course they are, but the price differentials will swing in favour of EVs in a few years. Running costs are lower.

As more older and viable cars start to trickle down to the second hand market, things will change.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Those who want an electric car are free to buy one, although there is an ecological cost even with those. Personally, I'm happy to continue to burn fossil fuels, as modern cars are very clean. Folk making a fuss about 'the environment' would do better addressing the monstrous pollution churned out by shipping, commercial vehicles, aircraft and providing power to trains (that's not clean either).
    yes. I think the ecological argument is a red herring. There's no such thing as an eco-friendly vehicle or lifestyle for that matter, unless you go and live in the bushes and eat berries. And 90% if us would have to go and do that if it was to make any real difference. It's all marketing bullshit aimed at flogging tat to the middle classes who want to continue their 21st century lifestyles without feeling guilty about it.

Better air quality in cities would be good though, and that means getting rid of all non-essential diesel powered vehicles for a start.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

[QUOTE=Macca;1221030] it's the equivalent of boiling 250 full kettles of water. It will take about 7 hours to fully charge the car from a domestic socket, so it's like boiling the kettle 35 times an hour for seven hours.

Right now the option of charging your EV at work is ok, when it's just Duncan in HR and his new Nissan Leaf God bless him, but what about when all the employees have been made to "go electric"? If the company has 50 employees that would be equivalent of boiling 12,500 kettles every day. If your gaffer is like my old boss who went round switching off lights in unoccupied rooms, he's not going to be happy with that set up

Perhaps the government will subsidise this cost as an incentive, as it would probably be cheaper than building more power stations. I heard somewhere that a nuclear power plant takes about 20 years to come online, so they'd better get their skates on.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

The government do offer a subsidy for installing charging points at workplaces. The office block I (used to) work in houses a couple of companies that have installed them in their car park spaces.

On the other hand since Covid 19 anyone who can work from home is working from home. No journey required at all. And companies save a fortune on renting office space. No need to go round turning out lights in the building when there is no building. Everyone I know who is working at home says their company has no plans to get them back to the office anytime soon, if ever.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Perhaps the government will subsidise this cost as an incentive, as it would probably be cheaper than building more power stations. I heard somewhere that a nuclear power plant takes about 20 years to come online, so they'd better get their skates on.
    I don't see how it would be cheaper to fund electric charging points than building new power stations. More power generation is likely to be needed, whether nuclear or otherwise, but some of it could be renewable and batteries in cars could take some of the load and store it.

It's good that some firms are finally realising that having everyone commuting in each day just to give the boss a thrill and a sense of power is a complete waste of effort. OTOH there are some problems if everyone stays at home - some practical ones, some involving training of new staff, and also long term isolation and mental issues. So some home working is very good - but too much - maybe not.
    Dave

I'm Steve.

Smart motorway my arse!

We've just returned from a delightful 560 mile round trip to Poole and back, and when returning, we had just got north of the M6 Toll, where the M6 is being "upgraded" to a Smart motorway. Just before the Stafford junction we came upon a geezer pushing his broken-down Goldwing Trike along the slow lane nee hard shoulder. It was dusk, and his lights were so feeble it was hard to tell he was only moving at 1mph until we were almost upon him.

Fortunately(!) there'd been a bad accident on that stretch (probably another Smart casualty), so the traffic was slowing in readiness to come off and divert through Stafford, otherwise he could easily have become a 600kg bumper sticker on the front of our Civic. And God knows what would have happened with the following traffic.

All of that hard shoulder is now an extra lane, but they haven't finished making the refuges yet. I despair with this country I really do.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Dave.

A hitherto unknown feature of some cars - such as EVs - like Tesla. Just found out that if one drives a Tesla, one's whereabouts and routes might be sent to others, so no sneaking off to see Glenda or Brenda for the afternoon! If that's your bag, make sure that nobody else who might be interested or concerned has a phone connected to the car.

Is this a feature of many new cars?
    Dave

I'm Steve.

hard to be sure just what some modern cars are capable of.

i recently saw a TV programme where someone was murdered by his car being 'hacked', disabling the brakes and making it swerve off the road. It was fiction, but who's to say that something like this isn't possible?

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread