+ Reply to Thread
Page 310 of 609 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360410 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Jon.

I you want to keep the aux battery on a Toyota Hybrid topped up, start the car and turn on everything electrical you can, i.e lights, ac, radio etc etc and leave it running for a short while. That will charge the aux battery in no time.
    If the hybrid battery goes completely flat (which only usually happens when the petrol runs out then the battery takes over until it fully drains) then a special charger is required.
    In all the years i worked as a tech for Toyota/Lexus dealer i only saw this happen once, and thats because a salesman didn’t quite make it to a fuel station. We had to get the charger direct from Toyota as we didn’t keep one on site.

I'm Grant.

I've been giving mine a run of about 12 miles a week to top it up. Been using sport mode to try and keep engine on as much as poss
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm steve.

Default Car (or bike) Chat!

With the minimal amount of use my car has been getting during the lockdown I invested in a Gunson 77108 Solar Battery charger from Amazon to keep the battery charged up to a good level on my 2011 Skoda Fabia VRS 1.4 tsi Twincharger. Direct sunlight gives it an output of around 300 milliamps, even overcast weather produces about 80-100 milliamps. Conveniently the 12v socket in the car is unswitched and is live to the battery all the time so I just plug the charger in and unfold the 2 solar panels and stick it on top of the dashboard, an LED lights up to confirm it's charging, best £30 I've ever spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 21-06-2020 at 19:47.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    I you want to keep the aux battery on a Toyota Hybrid topped up, start the car and turn on everything electrical you can, i.e lights, ac, radio etc etc and leave it running for a short while. That will charge the aux battery in no time.
    If the hybrid battery goes completely flat (which only usually happens when the petrol runs out then the battery takes over until it fully drains) then a special charger is required.
    In all the years i worked as a tech for Toyota/Lexus dealer i only saw this happen once, and thats because a salesman didn’t quite make it to a fuel station. We had to get the charger direct from Toyota as we didn’t keep one on site.
    I'm curious as to why turning all the electrics ON should cause the aux battery to charge up. Is it because otherwise the petrol motor just won't start - so this fools it?

If that's the case, I wish I'd known about this earlier.

Also, is the aux battery charged from the hybrid battery, if it starts to go flat - up to the point when the hybrid battery itself is drained? It would have been useful to know all this before too.

I'm still hoping my car isn't terminally afflicted. I may find out tomorrow.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

The alternator runs the stuff so it will be full on if you have a lot of stuff on I guess
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jon.

First off, the aux battery is just that. All it does is power up the ECU’s to start the car (as well as power the other electrics).
    The Hybrid battery actually spins the engine as it were, but it doesn’t use a conventional starter motor and neither does it have a traditional alternator (the MG’s or motor generators do that job).
    When you put the lights etc on, the aux battery will drain quickly, so the petrol engine starts which in turn charges both batteries.
    As i said previously, its extremely rare for the hybrid battery to fully discharge unless its faulty.
    If you're worrried, get a Toyota dealer to do a "hybrid health check", it takes minutes and is cheap.
    When i worked at a dealer we had to do one for every car that had a service, without fail. And i never encountered a faulty one.
    And, if you use the method i mentioned to charge the aux battery, make sure the car is in park and not neutral as being in N will prevent the engine from starting and therefore charging the batteries.
    This was a very common problem with customers who sat in their cars listening to the radio with it in N instead of P whilst waiting for their wife’s to pop to the shops or whatever. That will drain an aux battery in minutes.

I'm Geoff.

I think you may all have been conned into thinking new is best and that electric or hybrid is the way to go.

With all the driving about to keep batteries charged in hybrids, you're likely using as much or more fuel as a conventional car and there are the potentially huge associated costs, with things like replacement battery prices and main dealer only servicing. And you'll find yourself pressured into replacing the car every few years as the warranty end approaches. Depreciation seems significant with older hybrids.

I'll stick with a conventional, simple, petrol car thanks. Mine does the best part of seventy MPG and not having driven much since early March, due to the obvious, I still have half a tank of juice left, so I've used a mere fifteen quid's worth in four months and the tiny battery never goes flat. I pay no road tax either. The guarantee ran out a couple of years ago, but with only 22k on the clock, I'm not anticipating problems.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think you may all have been conned into thinking new is best and that electric or hybrid is the way to go.

With all the driving about to keep batteries charged in hybrids, you're likely using as much or more fuel as a conventional car and there are the potentially huge associated costs, with things like replacement battery prices and main dealer only servicing. And you'll find yourself pressured into replacing the car every few years as the warranty end approaches. Depreciation seems significant with older hybrids.

I'll stick with a conventional, simple, petrol car thanks. Mine does the best part of seventy MPG and not having driven much since early March, due to the obvious, I still have half a tank of juice left, so I've used a mere fifteen quid's worth in four months and the tiny battery never goes flat. I pay no road tax either. The guarantee ran out a couple of years ago, but with only 22k on the clock, I'm not anticipating problems.
    I'd say that there isn't necessarily anything wrong with EVs or hybrids, but it does depend on one's requirements. For some people, despite concerns about emissions, diesels may still be the best option. To some extent there is always a significant capital depreciation loss on any new vehicle, petrol, diesel, hybrid or EV - or even hydrogen based. New vehicles are usually only bought by people who can really afford them, or see a benefit in having one, either with a replacement strategy every few years, or running them into the ground.

Other people always buy second hand cars, either from dealers, or from private sellers. We have had most types of cars - with the exception of diesels. We now also have a new Renault Zoe EV, which for our immediate purposes seems very good. We have had five brand new (or effectively brand new) cars, and and over a long period I've just about lost track of all the other cars we've had - some of which were very cheap and didn't last long - probably at least ten others - some bought from dealers, but several bought from private sellers.

I am still hoping that my hybrid Prius does not have a terminal malaise, but it's not been checked yet. I also have an order for another EV, which has been put on hold for a while, due to difficulties arising from the Covid 19 pandemic.

Most hybrid cars will now completely outclass petrol driven cars regarding fuel consumption.
    Few non hybrid petrol cars will do 70 mpg, so your car must be a good 'un.
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

That is sad, though even if the Lambo broke down, the van that hit her from behind will be at fault so it won't quite be as bas as they try to make it sound... "The owner of a brand new Lamborghini has been left counting the cost"
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread