+ Reply to Thread
Page 555 of 609 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557565605 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Most common cause of RTA in the UK is failure to look properly due to tiredness, complacency or distractions. A computer won't be prone to any of those issues.
    My Tesla M3 regularly - but unpredictably - goes into sulks and the computer controlled driving gives up. Sod's law usually means it's just when I really want it to work. That's why I rate Tesla as Crap/Brilliant!
    Dave

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    My Tesla M3 regularly - but unpredictably - goes into sulks and the computer controlled driving gives up. Sod's law usually means it's just when I really want it to work. That's why I rate Tesla as Crap/Brilliant!
    Treats you mean to keep you keen
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Was watching a clip of Clarkson reviewing a Tesla the other day. 7 seats, two boots and weighs two and half tons but it has a 0-60 of 3.4 seconds and will beat an Audi R8 over the quarter-mile. (Of course he actually does the race to prove it).

He said the only downside was the price - £155K
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

And the intermittently functioning door handles probably.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    From that point yes it would and you would be helping the planet a little, every little bit helps! If you want more savings it would need a bit of investment see below.

Sling 6-8 Solar PV panels on the roof about £200 each for efficient ones each giving 390wh at full chat, a simple DC to AC inverter (£1K), a Zappi or OHME EV charger(Inteligent Octopus compatible) about£1K fitted, pay a Solar electrical bod to wire it up and jobs a goodun'. You will charge from Solar for nothing for around 8 months a year if parked on the drive, at least and any spare will supplement you electric needs in the home, if you need charging over night a move to Intelligent Octopus(23:30 to 05:00 cheap electric) or alternatively OVOEnergy Drive plans (24 hour cheap charging) and you will charge up at 7.5p/kwh with Octopus or around 5p/kwh with OVOEnergy, other suppliers offer EV charging as well. If you select a Hybrid AC/DC Inverter carefully you can scale up in the future and add batteries and more solar PV and become less dependent on the grid like us.
    I have tried to charge up our EVs during the day from the solar panels. The panel system is rated at around 4kW, but of course the actual output depends on the quality of the sunlight. We are on Octopus - and usually charge up in the cheap period - set to 9.30pm to 1.30am - which works out at around £2.80 (2 sessions over 2 nights = 8 hours) for a nearly full charge on a Tesla M3. Zoe can be done in less time - probably costs about £2 for a full charge. We often run the dishwasher and washing machine during the day - when the sun is bright - and I'm told this makes virtually no impact on the electricity bill - based on the data returned from Octopus. However when I tried to charge the Tesla M3 up using the slowest charger, the impact on the bill was noticeable - not huge - but noticeable., and we decided it is better to revert to charging overnight with the 5p per kWh tarriff.

If there were ways to only charge up cars (or anything else - use immersion heaters etc.) which would work reliably, and adjust the load to the demand depending on the sunlight, that would be good. However good devices which do this don't seem to be available. Of course also, if eveyone fitted any devices like that, companies which to some extent may rely on electricity being fed back into the grid would adjust their rates.

One other comment - we try not to push the battery levels in the cars to over 80% too often, in order to maintain the battery life. Sometimes we go for broke - but mostly try to keep in the range 20/30 to 70/80 which arguably may be the best compromise to keep batteries in order.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    was martin i think... ive just started charging mine as buckets get emptied tomorrow and if its plugged in the cable doesnt interfere with the bucket getting emptied; ive a cable cover over slab. so if its in i might as well charge it. was at 74% so will pop it up to 90. 3hrs 20 mins for 16% isnt great but it only runs at 3.6kwh currently. still im in no real hurry....and thats the way people need to become like(to an extent) this racing against the clock for everything is a major killer
    it must have gone quicker than it said as it finished charging at before 4.30. up to 90% and 286 miles
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Was watching a clip of Clarkson reviewing a Tesla the other day. 7 seats, two boots and weighs two and half tons but it has a 0-60 of 3.4 seconds and will beat an Audi R8 over the quarter-mile. (Of course he actually does the race to prove it).

He said the only downside was the price - £155K
    tesla build quality is apparently dodgy at times.. but for 155k i would be looking for merc quality. best thing about tesla is their charging stations for me.. 3 and half seconds is pretty quick mind; faster than a decent fart mine is a little over 7 secs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Steve

No I found this one, Test ATLASX 430mm diameter by 1180mm tall, I originally found a helix based one but these seem to have a better spec, TESUP turbinse are used by the military so are pretty robust. They also do an Atlas 2.0 3 blade model but a 1m by 1.1m. There is a huge variety of Wind Turbines out there, I am not clear as to what type is the best in terms of efficiency, all I know is the propeller type tend to be noisier, the helix designs can be very efficient and quiet, as can the one I like, the type of generator and the quality of the bearings used also has a big impact. Wind turbines are not that complex in reality, basically you could take a simple generator mount it and put a blade on it and wait for the wind to turn it, there are various DIYers out there who have doe this sort of thing, nut I doubt many will be very efficient.

https://www.tesup.co.uk/product-page...enerator-house

Unless you live on top of a windy hill you probably want to check out the amount of wind you get over the winter months with one of these https://www.weathershop.co.uk/5-in-1...el-description There is some very good statistical wind data out there on the net for local areas, but you need to be aware there the wind power you get can vary greatly by what is around you, we all know the effect of walking around a building in a city and nearly getting blown over(because it is vortexing and accerating) and then you go around the next corner and its dead calm.

I have been told that you should position the anemometer at the centre point of where the blades of the wind turbine would be mounted and take measurements, and experiment with positions until you find the best practical spot. Having done so it is best to take measurements over the period you want to generate electricity to determine if it will meet you needs. If you are going to rely on it on a daily basis to top the batteries or run the house then you may be disappointed, but in a reasonably good site then there if you use it with batteries to store excess then you likely to get a high success.

As I said previously I am mainly looking at it to supplement the Solar PV throughout the winter months, realistically it may achieve 60-80% electric power needs through the winter, there will be days with no or very low wind. About 2/3 of the year our electricity needs are fully met by the Solar PV, the remaining 1/3 mid November through to mid March is our highest grid usage, around 2500-3000Kwh, which is £1100(inc VAT) at 35p/kwh. Based on what we have seen so far with the Solar and looking at UK Solar data for our are we should still generate 5-10kwh/day from the Solar PV, so being cautious we will take 7Kwh over 120 days which is 840Kwh. This means we need about 2200kwh from the Wind Turbine, or on average 18kwh/day, I think over a 24 hour period with a fair wind this is achievable, there will be dead calm days obviously but one would hope this would also be sunny days. I reckon that realistically we may end up having to pay for around 600-800Kwh of electricity through the winter, so I am hopeful the bill over the 4 month period would be £220-290 at 35p/kwh. If I am right then the Wind Turbine is paid back for in electric bill saving in less than 2 years. I am reasonably confident in this based on what I hoped for with the Solar PV/battery installation and what we are getting to date, it is within +-5% depending on Solar conditions.

Getting totally off grid is very difficult to achieve, there are some who have done so locally but generally they are farmers who do not have planning restrictions and can invest more. I think that as technology improves and equipment and batteries become more efficient then cost effectiveness and
    Looks to be around £2k with the controller etc. Presumably it doesn't have to go on a roof, but unless there's a lot of clear space would be safer up higher. I guess there'd be installation costs as well - so perhaps £3k.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

3 and half seconds is pretty quick mind; faster than a decent fart . mine is a little over 7 secs
    Impressive!
    Dave

I'm Steve.

tesla build quality is apparently dodgy at times.. but for 155k i would be looking for merc quality. best thing about tesla is their charging stations for me.. 3 and half seconds is pretty quick mind; faster than a decent fart mine is a little over 7 secs
    Mine will clear a room in less than 7 secs

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread