+ Reply to Thread
Page 553 of 609 FirstFirst ... 53453503543551552553554555563603 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,530 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i had a self charge hybrid from toyota. car certainly got better mileage than a normal ice car of same size and power. in summer i could easily get 62mpg and still have a bit of performance. THe sch nissans are only really powering the start stop mechinism and are just called that to look like they are helping the planet. At least mine could drive pure electric(not far but it would get you out of the estate etc but slowly) lol
    I think some of the hybrids could go further, but my Toyota Prius wouldn't go far in pure EV mode - even if fully charged. I think I once managed abour 400 yards but driving below 25 mph. Even a slight hill or any attempt to go faster immediately kicked the engine in. Plug-in hybrids should go further - maybe 30 miles, though the economic target was supposed to be 50 miles - to allow for a 20 mile commute.
    Dave

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That looks good and I'm pretty sure would cover almost all my power needs, calm days are very rare here. Would pay for itself in two years, less once leccy prices go up again in October. Just a shame I would not get planning consent for it.
    No need for planning consent if you do not have an Air Source or Ground Source Heat Pump and can put it no more that 5m from the nearest boundary, it can be mounted on a chimney, no more than 3m higher that the ridge to to comply.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    No need for planning consent if you do not have an Air Source or Ground Source Heat Pump and can put it no more that 5m from the nearest boundary, it can be mounted on a chimney, no more than 3m higher that the ridge to to comply.
    You mean no nearer to a boundary than 5 metres? Which means you need a property that is on a plot at least 30 feet wide. My plot is just over 11 feet wide so it's a no-go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

However currently pure EVs do have limited range compared to ICE cars - a small ICE probably has a range comparable to the better EVs, while hardly any EVs can do really long trips without recharging.
    This comes back to the Range Anxiety point, and is quite honestly complete and utter guff, think back to the 70s, 80' and even some in the 90's, lots and lots of cars had what you sight as limited range, they had 8-10 gallon tanks and even smaller, and you were lucky to get more than 200-250 miles out of them because of the inefficient and low MPG figures. In fact if you look at the range of the some of the modern diesel guzzling huge pickup trucks in the USA and even some here you will find they have less than a 300 mile range. Its just people are pre-programmed into going to a fuel station and pumping fossil fuel into vehicles when it is starting to run out.

Looking at energy problems on a country wide basis, vehicles are important, but not necessarily more so than other aspects of consumption. Home insulation and switching to heat pumps - if possible [which it often isn't] may be better things to concentrate on, as well as generally more effective use of energy - say for industry and commerce.
    Yes, EVs are not the only solution to a cleaner and better world where we take care of our resources and environment. One of the worst polluters and a major part of the problem is the absolutely huge oil tankers that ship billions of barrels of crude oil around the world every day, their hulls sit very low in the water, they have vast engines that burn massive amounts of dirty fuel because they are so inefficient to move them and overcome the waters friction. There is a raft of information out there on just this alone.

It is not just about cars, it is about "Stopping Burning Stuff" and becoming cleaner and more efficient in all aspects of generation and energy usage.

If every car owner switched to electric vehicles right now, I doubt that the electricity grid would cope - and even with planned ramping up of electricity generation and distribution, it might take 100 years before a viable infrastructure could satisfy demand. Also, for larger vehicles, there may still be a need to have petrol or diesel trucks and lorries. Note however that Ford is now supplying an EV pickup truck, which will help one section of the market.

Really not true, the national grid in this country and likewise others around the world have been looking at this for at least the past 15-20 years, they know very accurately the levels of peaks and troughs of power down to an half hourly basis and across all times of the year. They understand very well how much impact that 5, 10, 20 or 30 million EVs plugging into the grid would have and have detailed plans in place to satisfy any growing demand over coming years. There have been recent power generation conferences in this country with all the major players partaking to discuss and plan for these very issues.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

This is possibly the future of EVs to come, not the cost but the technology and what it will bring to them!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You mean no nearer to a boundary than 5 metres? Which means you need a property that is on a plot at least 30 feet wide. My plot is just over 11 feet wide so it's a no-go.
    not sure how wide mine is tbh now. think it'll be less than 30ft tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I've just changed jobs and am now going to be on the road a fair bit. My company has a salary sacrifice scheme, and it looks a good way to cost effectively lease an EV. Problem is around 10 of my clients I will need to visit are over 150 miles away, which means either I need an expensive long-range vehicle or have to factor in recharging when I get there or en-route. https://ev-database.uk/cheatsheet/range-electric-car I guess I could get a lower cost EV and use my wife's (diesel) car for the longer trips and she would then use the EV. A PHEV that does 50 miles on electric (my daily commute when I am in either of the two offices I work from) would be ideal, but such a beast doesn't seem to exist - restricted to about 30 miles max from what I can see.
    That is - I think the problem with PHEVs. However can you not charge up when you start, and also when you get to the office? Depends how long you spend in each office I guess, and also what the charging rate for a PHEV is - something I don't know about. Also not sure whether PHEVs come with a small charger. Generally the small chargers are not great - but I was surprised to discover that I could get a useful amount of charge overnight using a so-called "granny" charger with a Tesla on a 13 amp plug. However, again you'd really need access to an outside 13 amp socket - as extension cables are definitely not recommended. If the offices install faster chargers for employees and others, then you could probably charge up a PHEV usefully in a few hours.

Re taxis mentioned recently by Grant - might be OK with EVs - but not all taxi drivers/owners have access to charging points, and some would be afraid of losing business - "Sorry mate - you'll have to wait an hour for me to charge up to get you there .... " - or "I'll just have to stop here for 12 minutes for an extra top-up". Not what customers are currently used to.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

was martin i think... ive just started charging mine as buckets get emptied tomorrow and if its plugged in the cable doesnt interfere with the bucket getting emptied; ive a cable cover over slab. so if its in i might as well charge it. was at 74% so will pop it up to 90. 3hrs 20 mins for 16% isnt great but it only runs at 3.6kwh currently. still im in no real hurry....and thats the way people need to become like(to an extent) this racing against the clock for everything is a major killer
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    This comes back to the Range Anxiety point, and is quite honestly complete and utter guff, think back to the 70s, 80' and even some in the 90's, lots and lots of cars had what you sight as limited range, they had 8-10 gallon tanks and even smaller, and you were lucky to get more than 200-250 miles out of them because of the inefficient and low MPG figures. In fact if you look at the range of the some of the modern diesel guzzling huge pickup trucks in the USA and even some here you will find they have less than a 300 mile range. Its just people are pre-programmed into going to a fuel station and pumping fossil fuel into vehicles when it is starting to run out.
    However most people expect to find fuel within 50 miles or so - even in the USA. However I do remember driving a van once in Spain, and worrying about running out of fuel in what seemed to be a remote area. We just made it to a village where we stayed overnight. I asked about where we could buy petrol. No petrol station! Then we were told to go to a bar, and I asked there. The woman went and produced some cans and we were able to fill up and go on our way the next day - but we did fill up as soon as we spotted a more conventional service station.
    Yes, EVs are not the only solution to a cleaner and better world where we take care of our resources and environment. One of the worst polluters and a major part of the problem is the absolutely huge oil tankers that ship billions of barrels of crude oil around the world every day, their hulls sit very low in the water, they have vast engines that burn massive amounts of dirty fuel because they are so inefficient to move them and overcome the waters friction. There is a raft of information out there on just this alone.

It is not just about cars, it is about "Stopping Burning Stuff" and becoming cleaner and more efficient in all aspects of generation and energy usage.
    Agree with most of this.
    If every car owner switched to electric vehicles right now, I doubt that the electricity grid would cope - and even with planned ramping up of electricity generation and distribution, it might take 100 years before a viable infrastructure could satisfy demand. Also, for larger vehicles, there may still be a need to have petrol or diesel trucks and lorries. Note however that Ford is now supplying an EV pickup truck, which will help one section of the market.
    Really not true, the national grid in this country and likewise others around the world have been looking at this for at least the past 15-20 years, they know very accurately the levels of peaks and troughs of power down to an half hourly basis and across all times of the year. They understand very well how much impact that 5, 10, 20 or 30 million EVs plugging into the grid would have and have detailed plans in place to satisfy any growing demand over coming years. There have been recent power generation conferences in this country with all the major players partaking to discuss and plan for these very issues.
    Yes - in the UK the data is known quite well, but it is also expected that it would take a long while to put in the new infrastructure required for a very rapid transition to electric vehicles. That's both on the generation and the distribution side.

Knowing how - and how much to do - is not the same as actually getting it done.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Re taxis mentioned recently by Grant - might be OK with EVs - but not all taxi drivers/owners have access to charging points, and some would be afraid of losing business - "Sorry mate - you'll have to wait an hour for me to charge up to get you there .... " - or "I'll just have to stop here for 12 minutes for an extra top-up". Not what customers are currently used to.
    No it was me. I don't think it is an issue for taxis, you can do a lot of three or four mile journeys with a 200 mile range, charge the car when you finish your shift. Taxi drivers are self-employed they work hours to suit so not hard to work around the charging issue.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread