+ Reply to Thread
Page 268 of 611 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Well it was wordy, I'll give you that How many keyboards per year do you wear out?
    Lol - I'm a fast typer! That lot took me less than 10 mins.... And I like putting some 'meat on the bone', when I explain myself. Too many folks don't.

I broadly agree with everything you're saying, although it does tend to generalise a bit. We all have reasons for doing things the way we do, often things out of our control, and the subtext of what you're saying, which I interpret as 'do things the way I did it or you're life will be screwed up and you may die early' isn't as helpful as you might think
    Fair enough, but that wasn't my intention. Firstly, anything I write in reply to you isn't just for your benefit - it's also for the benefit of anyone else who is reading. Secondly, I believe that we can ALL learn from each other in life, as I certainly have in the past from others, so if someone reads what I've written, on any subject, and it gives them food for thought, or they find it useful, then the effort in writing it will be worth it.

So, talking about retirement, do you intend to follow in your dad's footsteps and work until you're in your 80s, and if so, what does Anita think about that?

Take your point about the continental way regarding working hours, but I think most folk over here really do prefer a shorter lunch break, so they can get done sooner and go home. And I'm trying to picture you arriving at your job at 7am My new avatar: that would be you at 5am, thinking "I really can't face another day like this"
    Ha - love it.....

Firstly, when I was working, and even now if I have to get up early in the morning to go somewhere, it's never been a problem. I just make sure I go to bed early enough the night before (to get my 9/10 hours required sleep) and set the alarm clock!

Secondly, the example I gave with continental working hours doesn't apply to everyone. Just as common is starting work at 8 (or 8.30)am, working until 12 noon, having lunch until 1.30pm, and then working until 6pm, which is the hours of most banks and many office jobs.

And for me, the latter is much preferable to the working hours/conditions prevalent in many jobs here in the UK. Plenty of folk work 9-hour days and more, and get hee-haw lunch break, which for me is BIG TIME WRONG and very unhealthy. It's also partly what causes stress and illnesses, as your body isn't getting the proper fuel it needs to sustain it working, and so you force yourself to keep on going when you're tired and hungry. Not good - and eventually you'll end up paying the price to your health!

In any case though, the point I'm making is that for many people abroad, eating well and having a good work/life balance, even if they're not earning as much as their counterparts in the UK, is more preferable to working longer hours and not having a proper lunch break [where a decent hot meal can be enjoyed at leisure].

And also even if it means living in a smaller house and/or not having as much money to spend on it. Having a proper amount of free time to spend with friends and family, or just some 'me time' alone, to relax and chill. is much more important than *anything* else - and that's also how I'm wired

I too have spent a lot of time holidaying and driving round France over the years (my favourite kind of holiday), but the French way with restaurant opening does my head in, and had to resort to McDonalds on occasion. I suppose it's better in the towns and cities, but we tended to avoid them.
    I honestly don't see the big deal. If you're as familiar with the French way of life as you say you are, then you'll know that lunch times in restaurants are strictly between 12 noon and 2pm, sometimes 2.30pm, and some restauranteurs often also have the cheek to like 2 days off per week!

Disgraceful, isn't it, not to be continually at the beck and call of the general public, and actually DARE to HAVE A LIFE?

So... You simply ensure that you stop somewhere to eat during those times. That's what we do, and indeed often these days pre-book a table at a nice place I've Googled for in advance, and then there are defo no issues or disappointments. It's called being organised.

One more thing: get off your lazy arse and get the big stereo fired up!
    Will do - it's my new year's resolution!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

[QUOTE=Marco;1154010

[I]So, talking about retirement, do you intend to follow in your dad's footsteps and work until you're in your 80s, and if so, what does Anita think about that?
    [/I]
    No plans to retire, I'll keep doing what I do till Anita tells me to stop. She usually gets her own way

Firstly, when I was working, and even now if I have to get up early in the morning to go somewhere, it's never been a problem. I just make sure I go to bed early enough (to get my 9/10 hours required sleep) and set the alarm clock!

Another case of the sums not adding up - if you had to start at 7am, get 3 hours lunch/leisure/wank time, and finish at 7pm, (don't forget to add-in some commute time) your 9 hrs kip would leave you exactly sod all time with your family. I can only assume that the French are rather less bed-shaped than that

I honestly don't see the big deal. If you're as familiar with the French way of life as you say you are, then you'll know that lunch times in restaurants are strictly between 12 noon and 2pm, sometimes 2.30pm, and some restauranteurs often also have the cheek to like 2 days off per week!

I never said I was familiar with the French way of life, rather that I was trying to enjoy a British way of life while in France. And failing. Oh, the shame!

So... You simply ensure that you stop somewhere to eat during those times. That's what we do, and indeed often these days pre-book a table at a nice place I've Googled for in advance, and then there are defo no issues or disappointments. It's called being organised.

We are never organised when on holiday, nor do we make plans in advance. We just drive till we see something worth stopping for If you evber find yourself driving round the south of France follow the river Tarn up from Millau (home of the giant bridge) for about 30 miles until you reach a village called La Malene. Camping fishing and canoeing there, and it's probably my favourite place of all the places I've been (which ain't that many. There's a really nice little family run and rather rustic little restaurant there you would love. Tip
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    [No plans to retire, I'll keep doing what I do till Anita tells me to stop. She usually gets her own way
    Lol - I'm laughing because I'm hoping you're joking (on both counts)! Being a workaholic, henpecked husband ain't no fun, bro......

Another case of the sums not adding up - if you had to start at 7am, get 3 hours lunch/leisure/wank time, and finish at 7pm, (don't forget to add-in some commute time) your 9 hrs kip would leave you exactly sod all time with your family. I can only assume that the French are rather less bed-shaped than that
    Yes, but I didn't say that was the ideal scenario for me. I'd go with the other one I mentioned of starting at 8am, working until 12 noon, then having lunch until 1.30pm and finishing at 6pm, with weekends off. That's probably the norm for most abroad. You'd enjoy the bulk of your family time at the weekend, with still plenty of time for snoozage - simples!

And as for commuting, I'd ensure that I lived no more than 15/20 mins away (by car) from where I worked, as has always been the case throughout my working life. Long commutes are a major drag and a complete waste of time. That's the benefit of being in sales, as you can find sales jobs anywhere!

I never said I was familiar with the French way of life, rather that I was trying to enjoy a British way of life while in France. And failing. Oh, the shame!
    Ha - there's your problem, then. As they say: 'When in Rome...' Next you'll be telling me that you expect them to speak English!

We are never organised when on holiday, nor do we make plans in advance. We just drive till we see something worth stopping for...
    We do that sometimes, and it can be fun, but overall I prefer being organised, as I (same as Del) *hate* disappointments, especially when it comes to mealtimes, as enjoyment of such is a MAJOR part of our holiday. The very thought of being in France and having to eat in McDonalds is a nightmare I don't even wish to contemplate!!

If you evber find yourself driving round the south of France follow the river Tarn up from Millau (home of the giant bridge) for about 30 miles until you reach a village called La Malene. Camping fishing and canoeing there, and it's probably my favourite place of all the places I've been (which ain't that many. There's a really nice little family run and rather rustic little restaurant there you would love. Tip
    Sounds good, do you remember the name? Camping, fishing or canoeing wouldn't interest us though, as we don't do any of that. Plus, we're rarely in the south of France (where you're talking about), as it's too much of a drive. We're usually either in northern France (on a short-ish break from the UK/wine-buying trip), or south eastern France, en-route to Italy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Most of what I wrote here was not entirely true, and was intended to get a rise out of you (I knew all the 'Brit abroad' would do the trick), I'm really nowhere near that bad! My post was a bit messy and hurriedly thought out though, as I was racing against a dying laptop battery.

I do make some effort to speak French, although it is barely above Del Boy standard McDonalds was just the occasional stop gap, usually just for a brew. We did eat out at 'proper' restaurants sometimes, but eating out and drinking can be horrendously expensive, so when staying at my brother's place in Cap d'Agde we bought stuff from the local boulangerie/patisserie or the Lidl (both ten minutes walk) and do home cooking.

Other than when working there (in which case I would take a more direct route) we would go via eastern France, through Andorra and the Pyrenees (like Scottish Highlands (but rather bigger) where a lot of folk speak Catalan which I never attempted to learn, and through part of Southern Spain. Tony's place is at the southerly point of the Languedoc-Roussillon region, where you'd be in your element what with all the wine.

But the last time we visited we got the Dover ferry to Calais, did a left turn to Belgium, and headed to Luxembourg's Esche-sur-Alzette for a couple days, popping over into Germany briefly on the way. Eventually arriving at Cap d'Agde a week later, we picked up Anita's son and wife at the airport, and after a couple days of doing bugger all drove up the Gorges du Tarn, about 80 miles north for a couple of days camping But the canoeing was great, even the falling in, and watching the Griffon vultures hovering overhead looking for a restaurant that wasn't shut, was quite entertaining. In fact the whole trip was great, and much more interesting than my Marco-like wordiness would suggest

Of course we could have flown and got there in 3 hours, which we did once, and it was shit. That's something I know we both agree on, driving is the way to go

no idea what the restaurant in La Malene was called, but I'll google the area later and see if I can find it.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sounds good, do you remember the name? Camping, fishing or canoeing wouldn't interest us though, as we don't do any of that. Plus, we're rarely in the south of France (where you're talking about), as it's too much of a drive. We're usually either in northern France (on a short-ish break from the UK/wine-buying trip), or south eastern France, en-route to Italy
    Interesting comment about being a fast typer - a post or few past. It makes a big difference. I wondered for a long while why I often get mono-syllabic replies to emails I write. Eventually figured out several possible reasons:

1. People can't be **** to reply properly. Might be true.
    2. Most people can't type at speed.

Now I'm more generous and tend to assume 2.

Re south of France - go by train, and hire a car at the far end (if needed). It's a good thing to do. I suppose you could even fly and increase your carbon footprint. However, hire cars can be variable, and often nothing like as easy to drive as one's own car. Also getting hire cars gets harder as one gets older.

Some really nice places off the beaten track in south and central France.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Interesting comment about being a fast typer - a post or few past. It makes a big difference. I wondered for a long while why I often get mono-syllabic replies to emails I write. Eventually figured out several possible reasons:

1. People can't be **** to reply properly. Might be true.
    2. Most people can't type at speed.

Now I'm more generous and tend to assume 2.
    I think you're being a little over-generous!

I'd say it's largely 1, but 2 is is also responsible, simply because of tiny keyboards on smartphones, which simply don't facilitate lengthy dialogue!l

The fact that I use a laptop with a proper keyboard, when posting here, is the reason why I can type quickly and properly construct lengthy replies (with paragraphs and punctuation), and it's a discipline others should also adopt, as most folk have BOTH a laptop (or PC) and a smartphone at home, but for some reason when posting here, even when at home, stick to using the latter

Re south of France - go by train, and hire a car at the far end (if needed). It's a good thing to do. I suppose you could even fly and increase your carbon footprint. However, hire cars can be variable, and often nothing like as easy to drive as one's own car. Also getting hire cars gets harder as one gets older.

Some really nice places off the beaten track in south and central France.
    Noted... The train aspect would be interesting, as after car, it's my favourite way of travelling. Planes I detest, as you see nothing of your journey and I LOATHE the overcrowding/stress and hassle these days at airports, and I find the seating arrangements (lack of leg room in particular, as I'm tall) deeply uncomfortable. Boats are ok, but I'm not really a sea kind of guy.

Piggurs, I'll get to your excellent post later!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

I liked trains when a boy; the old style carriages with compartments etc. Occasionally a steam train but they were mostly on haulage by that time.
    The sea, i love the sea and its the best way to travel as long as its not a big huge cruise ship. Planes you can keep.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I liked trains when a boy; the old style carriages with compartments etc. Occasionally a steam train but they were mostly on haulage by that time.
    The sea, i love the sea and its the best way to travel as long as its not a big huge cruise ship. Planes you can keep.
    Yup, same here, and they also existed (to some extent) in the 70s. Awesome things with real character. Now the trains themselves are cold and soulless/devoid of personality, although undoubtedly fast. What I dislike about travelling by boat (unless its in somewhere really interesting), is that much like sky, one bit of water looks the same as another - and that's all you can see as a passenger when you look out the window, or up on the deck.

Whereas in a car or train, you can enjoy a constantly changing landscape passing you by, and also the beautiful scenery! And in a car, you can stop and look round quaint little towns and villages.

In terms of trains, I plan on taking Del on the Orient Express for our 30th wedding anniversary, as that's always massively appealed to both of us, on various levels

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, same here, and they also existed (to some extent) in the 70s. Awesome things with real character. Now the trains themselves are cold and soulless, although undoubtedly fast. What I dislike about travelling by boat (unless its in somewhere really interesting), is that much like sky, one bit of water looks the same as another - and that's all you can see as a passenger when you look out the window.

Whereas in a car or train, you can enjoy a constantly changing landscape pass you by, and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

In terms of trains, I plan on taking Del on the Orient Express for our 30th wedding anniversary, as that's always massively appealed to both of us, on various levels

Marco.
    I will dress up as Hercule Poirot
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Hey - I can see you in that outfit, and the tache would be *so* you!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread