+ Reply to Thread
Page 315 of 611 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325365415 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    never understood the speed being the b all.. i prefer safety first, comfort second, speed third
    I suppose it's to do with a "thrill-seeking personality", hence white knuckle rides, base jumping, etc. Some folk like things the way they are, some are always going to want more.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

For me, three letters sum it up: F-U-N!

Plus, if you *really* enjoy driving nice (fun/sporty) cars, then taking them to their limits, in terms of handling and speed, is a natural desire

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I suppose it's to do with a "thrill-seeking personality", hence white knuckle rides, base jumping, etc. Some folk like things the way they are, some are always going to want more.
    when young these risks are maybe an idea as your invincible, and when very old thrills are great as youve little to lose...in between its a wise man who reins in that destructive side, especially if you have family
    Last edited by struth; 11-07-2020 at 16:24.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

What about when you're a 54-year old [but look 10 years younger] Italian/Scottish daftee, with the mental age of 25 and an insatiable penchant for stupidness?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What about when you're a 54-year old [but look 10 years younger] Italian/Scottish daftee, with the mental age of 25 and an insatiable penchant for stupidness?

Marco.
    Only one "course" of treatment comes to mind, it's called Nurburgring. That should knock it out of you, even if you don't end up binning the Brabster Unless you've already done it in which case there's no cure. Has anybody on here been on it, and how did you go on?

I remember a "Top Gear" programme a few years ago, where Clarkson was well chuffed that he got a sub-eleven minute lap in a jag, till Sabine Schmidt told him "I could do that in a van!" And she did.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

What about when you're a 54-year old [but look 10 years younger] Italian/Scottish daftee, with the mental age of a 25-year old, and an insatiable penchant for stupidness?

Marco.
    You've no kids so it's more acceptable to take risks if you want, and your a lot safer in a merc than a bike doing high speeds.
    I like driving fast too but generally don't now as I've responsibilities, or had.. Now I just can't be arsed
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jon.

Long post alert!

Thing is, the power to weight ratio of jon's bike would make any Ferrari look agricultural, but the problem is (a) that all that power is trying to get to the tarmac via one patch of rubber no bigger than a beer mat, and (b) trying to keep the front end from going airborne. Apart from that, there's no car this side of a dragster or F1 which would have a chance
    True, but..
    With the bike in sports mode with the traction control on, it’s impossible to loop it as it reins it in whilst still giving near on max power. Turning the TC off and trying to launch the thing is a whole new ball game, and quite an arse clenching experience.
    It’ll either wheel spin or try to flip over backwards or wheel spin and try to flip over backwards at the same time.
    Fun as fuck though
    I am now converted when it comes rider aids on a bike.

Have you burned off any Ferraris at the lights yet?
    Marco.
    I can honestly say that i really don’t know why car drivers try to race bikes, it’s just pointless unless it’s something exotic and outrageously expensive/fast.
    That said, last week some prat in a wrapped bright orange M4 was about an inch from my rear wheel on an A road and clearly wanted to prove something, so as usual i just slowed down and gave him the finger so hopefully he’d back off.
    He didn’t, so i pulled over and he gave it full beans past me, then the red mist descended and after a few seconds he was a spec in my mirrors.
    I then slowed down to turn off and he didn’t even look at me as he passed. That was very satisfying.
    Like i said, it’s just pointless.

Anyhoo..

Went to J&S bike store to collect my new skid lid and there were 2 KTM’s parked outside, and a minute after taking this pic another 2 rolled up.
    I thought i’d bought quite an exclusive bike, but it turns out they’re as common as muck..

All in all i did 150 miles today in supreme comfort (i couldn’t do that on my ZX10R or RGV250) and was pleasantly surprised at the MPG..
    When i say supreme comfort, that was after i’d relocated my arms back into their sockets.

And finally fitted some crash bobbins and gave the thing a proper clean.
    Today was a fun day

The old wash house behind the bike is being converted into a mini garage/workshop for my bikes and will have a proper bike lift installed and a mini bar if i’ve got the room.

never understood the speed being the b all.. i prefer safety first, comfort second, speed third
    I’ve always lived my driving/riding/racing life as per these James Hunt quotes..

“The closer you are to death the more alive you feel”

“My first priority is to finish above rather than beneath the ground”

Famous last words, but it’s done me no harm so far

Only one "course" of treatment comes to mind, it's called Nurburgring. That should knock it out of you, even if you don't end up binning the Brabster Unless you've already done it in which case there's no cure. Has anybody on here been on it, and how did you go on?

I remember a "Top Gear" programme a few years ago, where Clarkson was well chuffed that he got a sub-eleven minute lap in a jag, till Sabine Schmidt told him "I could do that in a van!" And she did.
    No I've not been, but I'd love to try it. TBH, I'm pretty fearless behind a wheel, so nothing really phases me, therefore I'll give anything a go!

Clarkson's not a fast driver - he might *think* he is, but he's a pussy, and a past-it one at that! Sabine, however, is the real deal and has nerves of steel... Well, after all, she's German!

Marco.
    Main System

You've no kids so it's more acceptable to take risks if you want, and your a lot safer in a merc than a bike doing high speeds.
    I like driving fast too but generally don't now as I've responsibilities, or had.. Now I just can't be arsed
    Lol... Don't get me wrong, I'll only take very calculated risks, and only in the right conditions.

I have a golden rule (especially when I have passengers in the car) when doing something potentially risky/making a manoeuvre at high speed, and it's that I need to be 100% sure I'll make it to safety [using carefully judged risk-taking assessment criteria] - ANYTHING less, even 99%, and I won't do it, simples!

If I drive fast, then I'll do so as SAFELY as possible - I ain't no maniac! And as you say, a Merc's pretty safe at speed, especially the Brabster, as everything about it, from the tyres, brakes and suspension up, has been designed to match the power of the engine, and I *know* the car's capabilities, and most importantly its.limitations

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jon.

No I've not been, but I'd love to try it. TBH, I'm pretty fearless behind a wheel, so nothing really phases me, therefore I'll give anything a go!

Clarkson's not a fast driver - he might *think* he is, but he's a pussy, and a past-it one at that! Sabine, however, is the real deal and has nerves of steel... Well, after all, she's German!

Marco.
    Thats what i thought when i visited the “green hell”.
    It’s fair to say that i’m a reasonably competent driver/rider having had top tier tuition and have done more laps of various tracks than i can remember, but..

the “Ring”was an assault on the senses for sure.
    Try taking the Carousel at speed when you’ve got bikers knee down either side of you.
    It’s not so easy to be fearless in that situation. And to be honest i was probably the worst driver/rider on that toll road at the time. Basically it scared the shit out of me.
    And Marco, i’m going to pull you up on the Clarkson comment.
    Back in the early 2000’s i was at Milbrook proving ground with Audi testing the A/S8 and the competitors models and Clarkson was titting around on the alpine circuit, and trust me, he can drive, and very very well indeed.
    As for Sabine, a few of us were having a beer after a few laps of the ring and sew people getting out of her “ring taxi” and looking as white as a ghost.
    I’ll tell you what, if you can get round the ring in less than 10 minutes in your oil burner, i’ll sign over everything i own to you

+ Reply to Thread