Closed Thread
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains cables, myths, magic, laws of physics and dambusters

I'm Richard.

Default Mains cables, myths, magic, laws of physics and dambusters

I've started this thread, ahead of plan, because of a concern that this discussion was hijacking another thread. So anyone fancy chewing the fat about innovation and the laws of physics, or any of the other topics in the title, feel free cos its my thread and I can talk about this stuff too.

Marco - Yes your point tidied up the language, but missed the point. Barnes Wallis (Stan cited him too in our earlier ding), James Dyson, and the Wilbur and Orville, all pushed the boundaries WITHIN THE LAWS OF PHYSICS. They were challenging what could be achieved, they were innovative, and determined, and right, and made major contributions, but they all acknowledged and worked WITH science. And they all convincingly demonstrated their ideas worked.

The Wright brothers did not strap a passing blond to a plane saying "trust me - it does work" - they flew it and proved it
    Wallis did not say "trust me - it will bounce - just send 300 aircrew over and give it a go" he used maths and physics to prove it, then fired marbles at goldfish, and blew up garden ponds, before he even got prototype bombs into aircraft
    And I'm worn out with James Dyson -

Have a barbecue to chef at - back later

I'm Nodrog.

Richard,

I can't help feeling that you are just wasting your time.This is an argument that has been done to death. It goes round and round like a black or silver disc but never reaches the end of side.

The 'physics' believers will never be convinced that the laws don't apply and the 'pure' subjectivists will only believe what their ears (or expectations and wallets) are telling them and will never admit that they could be mistaken. There never seems to be a middle path.

Whilst I believe in discussion, there comes a point where it all breaks down into another belief/non belief religion type argument. The louder anyone shouts, the louder will be the riposte with neither side giving an inch. It appears on every forum, to the extent that some get banned for being too 'intense'. Why is it so damned important to be 'right'?

My hi-fi is there to deliver music. I don't give a stuff how it does it. I have never found anything necessary to deliver my needs apart from good quality, simple as possible equipment. No-one is going to convince me that anything else is necessary. If others want to obsess then great. Just don't preach to me about how I'm missing out because all I care about is the music not the shiny bits.

I am on this forum because the subject interests me and there is help available should I need it. As soon as all the crap comes out, I do wonder if I can be bothered though, its just like watching a boxing match and just as sensible.

Having said all that, when I see something so stupid that it goes beyond magic, I do feel tempted to join in. I always regret it afterwards though

I'm Simon.

I'm not a cable believer. They have simple properties and once you shield them well enough and make them thick enough then really that should be it...

So I'm struggling with the measurements showing reduced THD from the new cables from the guy who used to run Virtual Dynamics.

Fancy cables with magnets

My natural inclination is to assume there's something odd about the test set-up... but maybe....
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm David.

It's all good fun, nothing new will transpire and we can all argue till the cows come home, I do however like to read the threads from people who say mains leads make no difference whatsoever as I find it highly enjoyable when a customer makes an effort to phone me to say how incredibly better his hi-fi sounds just by adding a new mains lead, I even get praised for the fuses I sell too. Don't forget all these people who buy these things can send them back if they don't like them. MCRU is 3 years old as a business, I have had less than 10 items of any sort sent back.

Let's add a bit of bling to the discussion...................

I'm David.

tests and reports are great but what about the stuff that tests crap but sounds great like hifiman headphones as an example?

I'm David.

martin did your xlr cables arrive?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I'm not a cable believer. They have simple properties and once you shield them well enough and make them thick enough then really that should be it...

So I'm struggling with the measurements showing reduced THD from the new cables from the guy who used to run Virtual Dynamics.

Fancy cables with magnets

My natural inclination is to assume there's something odd about the test set-up... but maybe....
    The test measurements quoted are totally meaningless. There is no statistical analysis: implying the measurements were only performed the one time. Reported changes in THD, THD+Noise, are too small to be regarded as significant without any statistical information.
    Barry

I'm fuckoff.

Dave, no sir; are they headed for my work place?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    tests and reports are great but what about the stuff that tests crap but sounds great like hifiman headphones as an example?
    And valve amps!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Let's add a bit of bling to the discussion...................

A very interesting point. If the cable didn't look 'bling' and shiny, and actually looked a bit tatty, would it 'sound' as good? I doubt it!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast