• 8 out of 10

2 20.00%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

1 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club - Week 109: 03.09.2013: Mary Black - Circus (1995)

I'm Paul.

Very true. I've re listened to Full Tide and think I was a little harsh at first. It's actually quite a good album... Very much back to her Folk days... Only letdown is the duo/trio songs but I guess I can live with them
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Lawrence.

I've not heard Mary Black before. I like the voice, very effortless and musical, the production quality seems good, even allowing for Spotify. The opening / title track, 'Circus', grabs you immediately with a nice tempo introduction. I particularly enjoyed track 4 'Soul Sister' and the start of track 6 'Donegal Breeze', but in fact there's a lot of variety and good music on this album. The lyrics are also worth concentrating on, very poetic!

I'll give this 8/10, thank you for sharing.

Lawrence

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by losenotaminute View Post
    I've not heard Mary Black before. I like the voice, very effortless and musical, the production quality seems good, even allowing for Spotify. The opening / title track, 'Circus', grabs you immediately with a nice tempo introduction. I particularly enjoyed track 4 'Soul Sister' and the start of track 6 'Donegal Breeze', but in fact there's a lot of variety and good music on this album. The lyrics are also worth concentrating on, very poetic!

I'll give this 8/10, thank you for sharing.

Lawrence
    Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for listening and for the vote.

If you liked this album I'd highly recommend her two more popular albums too, Babes In the Wood and No Frontiers. A little more Folky but worth a listen and certainly more 'Hifi'
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

MartinT Guest

I've liked Mary Black for a long time and this was a good listen. Not as strong as some of her albums (Babes in the Wood, in particular) so I'll give this 7/10.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I've liked Mary Black for a long time and this was a good listen. Not as strong as some of her albums (Babes in the Wood, in particular) so I'll give this 7/10.
    Thanks for that Martin. I agree Babes in the Wood is an excellent album but there is something about this album that makes me reach for it in preference to any of her other albums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123