• 8 out of 10

2 20.00%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

1 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 109: 03.09.2013: Mary Black - Circus (1995)

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Whether I like the album or not though Paul, I applaud your choice.
    Thanks Chris,

Mary Black is still my favourite female artist... I quite like her sister Frances Black too but she doesn't quite have that something special that Mary has
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm ChrisB.

I've played the album a few times now.
    It doesn't reach out and grab you like some of her better known work, but I'm liking it a fair bit. There's some great lyrical imagery in some of the songs, which is something I like quite a lot.
    I've given it a 6 out of 10, but I expect it to be an album that will grow more, commensurate with the frequency it's played.
    Thanks for alerting me to it.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Thanks for alerting me to it.
    Your welcome Chris and I'd agree, it's certainly a grower... Lets see what you think about it again in a couple of months
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Barry.

I recall her name from some years ago when I used to buy What Hi-Fi mag they would test gear out with her CD.
    This is not my cup of tea, I just don't listen to female solo artists and I can't recall ever really liking anything I've heard apart from maybe Melanie and Dusty.
    I will however give it 2/10 which is 2 more than Anita whatsherface

I'm Paul.

It's a bit patchy but very well produced and a few high spots. A little slick and MOR compared with the earlier more folky stuff. Gave it 7/10.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    I recall her name from some years ago when I used to buy What Hi-Fi mag they would test gear out with her CD.
    This is not my cup of tea, I just don't listen to female solo artists and I can't recall ever really liking anything I've heard apart from maybe Melanie and Dusty.
    I will however give it 2/10 which is 2 more than Anita whatsherface
    Fair enough Baz, as we know everyones different ... I personally liked Anita whatsherface so much I went and bought it

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    It's a bit patchy but very well produced and a few high spots. A little slick and MOR compared with the earlier more folky stuff. Gave it 7/10.
    I'd agree with you about the patchy bit Paul, it's just for me this is the most 'tuneful' album from Mary Black

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    I'd agree with you about the patchy bit Paul, it's just for me this is the most 'tuneful' album from Mary Black
    This was the first time I played this in about 15 years. In fact it is better than I remember. The next album she did with a batch of the then unknown David Gray songs is pretty forgettable though.

I'm Paul.

Totally agree with you there Paul. Although I didn't know she'd used David Gray song though.

I bought one of her more recent albums (Full Tide) recently and am pretty disappointed, it's very much wallpaper music!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Totally agree with you there Paul. Although I didn't know she'd used David Gray song though.

I bought one of her more recent albums (Full Tide) recently and am pretty disappointed, it's very much wallpaper music!
    Played that once and put it away. The latest 'Stories From The Steeples' is much better on first listen. Need to get round to trying these again but have had too many more interesting purchases to get through. She was a top act 20 years ago with a great touring band that included Eleanor McEvoy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast