+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linear supply for two temple mono blocks

I'm tony.

Default Linear supply for two temple mono blocks

I have four of these great wee amps 2 drive a pair of of Spendor SP 1s the other a pair of Quad 63s........both pairs are velcroed and set up to drive the load of the particular speaker. they are queer wee buggers needing 18v to drive them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a linear power supply that would drive the pair at a time ( one supply for both amps regardless off which speakers they are driving) thinking bench power supply money as opposed to hi fi foo dedicated stuff......either that or advice on how to build leads to utilise a suitably meaty battery.

the simpler the and cheaper the better......

thanks Tony.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I have four of these great wee amps 2 drive a pair of of Spendor SP 1s the other a pair of Quad 63s........both pairs are velcroed and set up to drive the load of the particular speaker. they are queer wee buggers needing 18v to drive them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a linear power supply that would drive the pair at a time ( one supply for both amps regardless off which speakers they are driving) thinking bench power supply money as opposed to hi fi foo dedicated stuff......either that or advice on how to build leads to utilise a suitably meaty battery.

the simpler the and cheaper the better......

thanks Tony.
    farnell have plenty of industrial linear psu's, rs components sell them as well

I'm Bob.

Depends how fancy you want to go Tony....
    A negative 9v regulator and a positive regulator will give you the 18volts (7809 I think and it's opposite from memory).
    Maybe not the most elegant regulators but there will be quieter fixed voltage versions these days I would think...
    Would Temple tell you min and max supply they will take? Maybe easier to get sorted if it will take say 15 or 24 volts....

I'm Gary.

has to be a bench power supply for that...

As Dave said, Farnell is all you need Tony.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/44421-dig...-digimess.html

Double linear 3A output.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 01-09-2013 at 02:59.

I'm tony.

Thanks for the replies gents more a case of "champagne mouth with lemonade trousers" ! have sent temple a message to see if utilising a dual output Lucas leisure battery might work.......vague recollection of a chap utilising two motorcycle batteries stashed behind each speaker. He reported a slight improvement in the sound quality....

Quite fancy taking the mains (even though i run a balanced transformer ) out the equation entirely.My DAC and Headphone amp can both go battery only and last night after a wee session on the cans was convinced it sounded cleaner/quieter- tad more background detail and quieter noise floor , the only other element in the chain is a passive Tisbury audio pre......

have a car battery or two lying about that i could try in the meantime pending a reply from John at Temple.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I could build you a couple of copies of the supply I have Tony, but it would probably end up costing around the same as that bench supply. I did get a good improvement going away from the wall warts though.

I'm tony.

Ali,
    A kind offer I may take you up on depending on the response I get from Temple.

I power a standard bantum with a 12v dc supply that I checked was centre positive like the monos.....plumbed it in to a mono and the light just dims on the power supply ( battery pack originally designed for a camcorder but recommended for the bushmaster)

Am I missing something obvious or do the monos suck so much juice the battery pack spits the dummy?

Advice gratefully received.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Confirm with Temple Tony.

I'm tony.

Aye, Ali......I checked they're site and it says the mono can be ordered without a psu, I am wondering if the ones ordered with psu are 18v. Recently purchased the updated PSUs they were offering at a tenner a pop for existing customers with a IEC lead thrown in, a canny grumble, and they were an improvement on the previous ones, wee bit more grunt and control.
    Will hang fire till I get a response.......Thanks anyway!

+ Reply to Thread